Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lamarth

Identify the keyboard?

Yes, this is going to be a wierd question...and sorry but I'm not sure which catagory of Doom 3 this should go under so I'm hoping the General forum is appropriate....

By now I'm sure (and assuming) you're all familiar enough with the game to know what I mean- the PC keyboards you see sitting at everyone's desk at the UAC facilities - does anyone recognize these keyboards? That is, I'm sure that in designing the objects in the game ID used real-life models, so I'm sure this keyboard is available from your local friendly PC store- or was at one time.

Any ideas? BTW I do have a screenshot of one of these keyboards that I can email or post a link to if it'll help....

Thanks for the help!
David

I highly doubt that they were modeled after a particular keyboard. Instead they were just recreations of generic keyboards. I could be wrong of course, but I dont think I am.

i don't think you should be wasting brain power on this question! they most likly made them from scratch. even if they didn't, why would it matter? doom III is a game, as long is it is fun i dont really care. Its a game, i don't really know why you would waste the brain power thinking about a keyboard

i am sure all the monsters may have had modles for reference. however i am sure they where all made in a program like 3d max. i dont think doom III made the use of any motion capture . all the level parts and prefabs were made in the editor. however i wonder if they have their own editor program or if they used the one that ships with doom III?

Sephiroth said:

i don't think you should be wasting brain power on this question! they most likly made them from scratch. even if they didn't, why would it matter? doom III is a game, as long is it is fun i dont really care. Its a game, i don't really know why you would waste the brain power thinking about a keyboard

Ah- you'd be right as it normally would be a waste of brain power poundering over that, but there's a reason for this (a method to my madness, I suppose)....I'm getting ready to do a PC case mod to duplicate as close as I can one of those UAC PCs seen in the game. Needless to say I'd like to get a keyboard to match- or if they don't exist, mod one up..... but first I'd like to determine if they modeled from a real one or as someone suggested created a generic. Wasn't sure who would know this short of ID themselves (and I've yet to find any contact info on their website other than customer service- and I highly doubt they'd know) so I thought/hoped someone here might be able to clue me in on this....

I kinda figured you were gonna be doign a case mod. anyways a lighted keyboard would work. i ran across a few when looking for some case fans and such. however can't recall the exact look of either the UAC keyboards or the number of lighted keyboards i have seen

I don't quite remember what the keyboards looked like (I played the demo), but I'm sure you could take a generic keyboard and paint it.

I doubt it would be that hard to modify any generic keyboard to look like that. Is the UAC logo lit up though or is that just the way it appears in the screenie?

To me it looks like an old IMB PS2 101 key model keyboard with a glowing logo on it. If I had my digital camera I could take a picture here at work. These things are like 10 + years old and built like tanks. Still work perfectly.

EricHerrera said:

To me it looks like an old IMB PS2 101 key model keyboard with a glowing logo on it. If I had my digital camera I could take a picture here at work. These things are like 10 + years old and built like tanks. Still work perfectly.

I think I know what you mean- I'm typing on one of them right now. I've had to put an adapter on it to run it off my ATX mobo. And yes, they are built like tanks :D...

Anyway it's a spitting image of the one in the pic with the exception that the width of the keyboard was extended (kinda like a even older XT keyboard) to include the UAC logo and the (what I presume to be a) mouse control on the right. I had wondered if back in the day some company may've offered such a setup, hence my original question. I seem to remember seeing such a device and was wondering if someone else remembered...

It also looks like a late 90's Dell keyboard, the ones they gave away with laptop docking stations. I remember they were just like a regular keyboard, except they had that stupid ledge above the F-keys just like this one does. Instead of the Dell logo, its a UAC logo, same spot. I believe it had a Winderz key on it too, so it'd be a good match, that is if you can't find the IBM one. Those old IBM suckers are now a well sought commodity among keyboard enthusiasts. (all 9 of them) :P

Crap, you know looking at it again, IBM is definitely a good match because of the tutone color of the keys.