Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UltraMarioMan

Delay of Half Life 2 possible for contract violations

i dont really care about half-life 2, i mean come on. i wonder if it is even possible to get my "free" copy that i am "promised" to get by ATI (when i bought the 9600XT)

however i think it said something like this. "Game will be shipped when avalible, expected november 2003, offer ends 04-2004" shorty after it was annoucned the source was "stolen"

I only hope HL2 doesn't become a wild duke4 chase.

AndrewB said:

For some strange reason, I'm actually rooting for the 6-month delay. I don't know why.

Hey, that's okay. You didn't like Doom 3 either.

Fredrik said:

Do people still care about this game?

Are you kidding? If people still believe that Elvis alive, then surely there are people insane enough to care about HL2.

(Just kidding. You don't have to be insane to spend a good 5% of your life being a fan of an unreleased game; just a bit unbalanced.)

I'm fairly confident HL2 will be a better game than Doom 3, so along with GTA: San Andreas it's the only game I am really waiting for. I am appalled at the sheer amount of soap opera bullshit that has surrounded the game in the past few months, though. Call me old fashioned, but I still like the idea of a developer working on their game, releasing a new screenshot every few months, then just releasing it. With HL2, we've had code leaks, illegal builds of the leaked code, all sorts of internal business problems I don't care the least about, and the constant stream of non-announcements from Valve. "On our current schedule, we will possibly maybe have a release candidate build in two weeks". Well great, who cares ? Finish your game, put it on shelves and if it's any good I'll give you my hard-earned money. When did everything become so complicated ?

After Doom 3's ending among other things I didn't like about it, Silent Hill 4, the new and final Dark Tower book, I'm forsaking my faith in everything I'm looking forward to it. Things seem to continually suck now days...

I'll just continue to do what I did with Doom3.

Ignore all the BS and speculation and just play the game when it comes out, and prolly enjoy it.

I'm with Pritch. I have faith that HL2's story will be good, being that it's written by Marc Laidlaw, and the way the original cut off...

I feel that games and stories go together like oil and water. Stories are meant to be linear and fairly predetermined, while games are supposed to be open-ended and probablistic. It just doesn't mix.

AndrewB said:

I feel that games and stories go together like oil and water.

Lucky for us pretty much every game designer on the planet disagrees with your assessment

AndrewB said:

I feel that games and stories go together like oil and water. Stories are meant to be linear and fairly predetermined, while games are supposed to be open-ended and probablistic. It just doesn't mix.

Go play Alpha Centauri, Fallout, or Baldur's Gate (1 or 2) and try telling me that again. They were all extremely open-ended yet had excellent stories to go with them.

Anyway, I was going to go on a huge rant about the decay of video game quality, but deadnail distracted me to tell me all bout his stupid virus programs that don't work, so I forgot it all. Just imagine I made a really good argument and you all agree!

There CAN be good mixes of story and gameplay, but the point remains that story and gameplay are practically opposite forces. Very seldom do they come together without some sort of ugly collision.

Linguica said:

Lucky for us pretty much every game designer on the planet disagrees with your assessment

Strange comment, coming from someone who said "The video game industry is s..."

i dont see why people bitch about games not having open ended stories. too open makes it confuseing or annoying. so what, it is how the developer choose it.
to me its like bitching about a game being in thrid person or first.
however i do see the point. i like games that have a number of differnt events and endings. like SH2 and such.

another open ended game i bought was an RPG i got at blockbuster for $5. its a PS1 game. the battles are in 3d landscape but monsters and such are 2d spirits. infact the whole games is in 2d, looks really cool. however i have yet to finish the game. i put it in a box when i moved and forgot about it until the other day

This was on IRC. You said that video games were akin to roller coaster rides and that you threw them into a pile after you were done with them. Later on in the conversation, you said that you would never want to work in the video game industry.

If your opinion has since changed, I'm sure we wouldn't mind knowing.

AndrewB said:

This was on IRC. You said that video games were akin to roller coaster rides and that you threw them into a pile after you were done with them. Later on in the conversation, you said that you would never want to work in the video game industry.

If your opinion has since changed, I'm sure we wouldn't mind knowing.

* I said that FPSes nowadays were basically rail shooters since you moved along one linear path inside a very pretty and detailed tube

* I would not want to work in the video game industry because it is still so immature and mismanaged

I fail to see what these two points have to do with the role of storylines in games.

Linguica said:

* I said that FPSes nowadays were basically rail shooters since you moved along one linear path along a very pretty and detailed tube

This is basically what I've said oh-too-many times.

video game industry

immature and mismanaged

Exactly what I've been saying...

Why you constantly feel the need to disagree with me while agreeing with me, I will never know...

I logged onto the forums to see that our good frind AndrewB hand replyed to a half-life thread and thought to myself: there's no doubt in my mind that he has something intellegent and worth while to say.

So, according to you, it's OK to just say "Half-Life sucks" and leave it at that. But any attempt to expand on the idea and actually examine why people say these things is completely unacceptable to you?

That's stupid. I've posted maybe twice in the past 6 months on the topic of Half-Life 2. Cut the baiting, flamemonger. And while you're at it, learn to pay attention to what other people say. And if you really don't want to pay attention to someone, then shut up and stay out of the discussion.