Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

The /newstuff Chronicles #200

Oh great, finally lots of stuff for us again...

[color=red]Congratulations on the 200th newstuff. Thanks to the DooMworld team![/color]

One-word reviews this time :P

Newstuff 200 Tribute Map - Boring
Dark Keep - Annoying
Asylum of the Wretched - Overrated
The Place of the Tomb - 404!
MOOeD DooM, Enigma 13 - No
Titan - Good ( second opinion :P )
Romero Death Skittles - Addictive

udderdude said:

The Place of the Tomb - 404!

Try here.

Remember that you can always take a look in the /newstuff folder directly (here or here, etc.).

These one-word reviews look like a good idea. Nice effort-saver. Hmmm...

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Normal by Daniel standards of course, so it's good by normal standards.
He may be a controversial figure round here, but he doesn't half know how to make good maps.

What?

Sorry guys, I've been trying to post an explination oor Enigma 13 here but I forgot my password and I was not receiving any emails (blacklisted fileplanet... all that jazz). Anyway:

Enigma 13 was fine... apart from that pyramid. The first version didn't telepoprt after you picked up the red key... so I attempted to fix that... I placed a player start at the base of the pyramid just to fix that script... the script got fixed but I forgot to move the player start back to it's proper place... The key no longer teleported becase script 10 activates the player ID to allow you to teleport. Because of my oversight the whole map was fucked... this is the version that you guys have had.

I've re-uploaded a version that DOES work. Re-play it and then tell me what you think :). It does work now, I tested it :).

Sorry about that guys, next time i'll have the sense to use playtesters ;).

The Ultimate DooMer said:

(I fixed the links yesterday btw)

You've also managed to fuck everything else completely up too :P

Quite a few wads this week. Have to try and find some time to actually play some of them...

Ahah. my wads (xenon station 1+2) were credited to "Someone", both screenshot links are broken, and they were hardly reviewed.

What author inspiration!

(edit) i see the screen links are fixed.

Deathmatch wads don't get played properly in nearly all cases, as most reviewers don't play DM. I do play it (as of last month), and have started running servers to play them, but in this case no-one else turned up when I had it running on Saturday night. (and I only got the wad during the day so that was the only chance of running it)

(apologies for forgetting the name, it was a bit hectic to get the reviews all done in time)

heh, oh well. i'm working on xs3 now and it's turning out pretty good so far (atleast in my eyes). i'll try and make that one a bit more noticeable.. maybe an sp/dm hybrid, since i started it out as a dm map, but it's looking similar to an sp map also.

Played Titan earlier today...it's ok I suppose, nothing special. Apologies to the guy who made it if I hurt his feelings, but while it was ok, it was only that, ok, and not much else. That's my opinion of course.

Bloodskull said:

You people are purposely ignoring my map aren't you?

WELCOME TO SINGLEPLAYERDOOMWORLD

Seriously, you're at the wrong place to ask if people have played your map.

DooMBoy said:

Played Titan earlier today...it's ok I suppose, nothing special. Apologies to the guy who made it if I hurt his feelings, but while it was ok, it was only that, ok, and not much else. That's my opinion of course.

It's okay, different people have different tastes :)

DooMBoy said:

Played Titan earlier today...it's ok I suppose, nothing special.

I agree. However, the last map of titan is some of the best I've ever seen! The way that map was set up is just perfect. Good work on that!
"Jesper Krag Rasmussen"? That sounds danish!

dethtoll said:

i was thinking that myself. it's not even all that great, no matter how you play it.

I don't know - I enjoyed it myself. It's quite atmospheric, and an interesting departure from the typical hack-and-slay gameplay in DOOM, too.

Warzone - Nifty. Though the "overpowered" BFG replacement was disappointing. Plasma Shooting gun was my favorite.

Newstuff 200 - As usual, very nice work. Good textures and map design.

Xenon Station - Nice.

Ossuary & Ossuary 2 - Not bad. I wasn't particularly impressed, but I wasn't disappointed either.

Nuclear Deathmatch - Downloaded this anyways though I don't play Deathmatch. Its a nice map.

Romero Death Skittles - Awesome. My favorite for this week. I was very impressed by detail this. There's even a tutorial. Great work.

Titan - Pretty good.

Finally got round to Playing the TNC200 Tribute map and I can't say that I'm impressed, and I don't see why it's doing so favourably in the reviews in the archives. There is no need for half of the new weapons, and overall there seems to be far too much ammo and health in the level. The big battles don't seem very well thought out (just a load of enemies dumped together), and the level as a whole is just a boring linear walk-through from one pretty much square room to the next.

Whilst you have the oldschool doomers on the one hand, who praise any level that runs in the original .exe and keeps to classic (usually E1) style gameplay and theme, I think on the other hand you have those that will adore any map that shows off the features of the newer engines, no matter how bad the map actually is. To me, you can overload a level with badly-used Zdoom features, but that doesn't hide the fact it's still a pretty boring, uninspired level in the first place.