Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Build Me a Level Worthy of Mordor

It seems there's a new version of Doom Builder out. In the words of CodeImp it's only a "few bugfixes and little improvements [but] no major changes". Feel free to check out the changelog or read these handily pasted entries:

• ZDoom (Heretic in Hexen format) config file. (thanks Graf Zahl)
  • Fixed selection bug after dragging vertices.
  • Fixed bug in support for PNG textures.
  • Allowed the use of patch 0 in textures. (texture SP_FACE2 uses this)
  • Improved automatic sector height adjustement for copy/paste.
  • Added option for automatic sector height adjustement in copy/paste.
  • Preserving "void" parts of map when pasting.
  • Removed "Save map as prefab", use "Save selection as prefab" instead.
  • Changed description in Insert Sector dialog to "radius".
  • Insert Sector now makes a square of correct size when 4 vertices entered.

So all you crazy DB users head over there and grab the latest and get bizzah! That's hip lingo you know.

Sorry, I haven't been paying attention to this editor...

Is this like the best Doom editor ever made in every conceivable way or what?

Neat. Now all that's missing is proper project management (I'm envisioning something similar to the project management of an IDE like JBuilder or Eclipse), a DECORATE editor, a built-in ACS decompiler and a couple of other (minor) improvements. ^^

AndrewB said:

Sorry, I haven't been paying attention to this editor...

Is this like the best Doom editor ever made in every conceivable way or what?

It's easily the best editor I've ever used in terms of making a DOOM LEVEL quickly and easily. But if you want your Doom editor to do everything and the kitchen sink, then no I imagine DeepSea is better.

Linguica said:

It's easily the best editor I've ever used in terms of making a DOOM LEVEL quickly and easily. But if you want your Doom editor to do everything and the kitchen sink, then no I imagine DeepSea is better.

Actually, I would have to say deepsea can spit out maps just as quickly, provided you know what you are doing. The only thing I could possibly want (that Deepsea doesn't have), is the 3D mode with texture aligning.

Anyways, what the hell am I doing wrong? Has anyone else noticed the news post and changelog says there is now a HERETIC IN HEXEN mode? Because it's not there...

EarthQuake said:

Anyways, what the hell am I doing wrong? Has anyone else noticed the news post and changelog says there is now a HERETIC IN HEXEN mode? Because it's not there...

It's there for me... did you try downloading it again?

Its called ZDoom (Heretic in Hexen mode) so it will probably be sorted down there with the rest of the ZDoom specific configurations.

Wow, does this mean some people will actually make new Heretic/Hexen maps?! :P

Heretic maps were already possible with Doom Builder for ages, its just the Heretic in Hexen format for ZDoom which is new. Its the same idea as ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format) but meant for mapping on top of Heretic.wad instead of Doom2.wad.

udderdude said:

Hopefully. So far there hasn't been much - excluding your 2 episodes.

udderdude said:

It would be nice to see some Hexen maps aswell as some more Heretic maps.

Yours do rock btw udderdude. ;)

How lovely, bug fixes cause more bugs. I went into 3d mode, and accidently hit the adjust texture right button on my ceiling, gave me a zero error or something like that and as I hit ok closed out. Poopie.

EarthQuake said:

Actually, I would have to say deepsea can spit out maps just as quickly, provided you know what you are doing. The only thing I could possibly want (that Deepsea doesn't have), is the 3D mode with texture aligning.

DeePsea has 3D mode with texture aligning - W command that used to be the Walkthrough, that's where the W came from:) You don't have to know any more than you do with any other editor. Esp in this case since the commands are copies of DS:)

DS uses a real game engine -> RISEN3D - a Lightning fast port even on large levels. Plus since it's a real game engine, you see the level as it really is with a sky and all that stuff. Need to send Graham some more code, but the last thing I added is support for any size level which is now available in R3D.

RISEN3D runs a 48,000 linedef no sweat. In fact, I did some timings and it's every bit as fast as ZDOOM and slightly more so (comparing apples to apples - no MD2 and no particles turned on). Will soon come out with a new vsync option for new systems that can add another 20-50% increase in the frame rate since without this the maximum rate is tied to the refresh rate of the monitor.

To move faster in R3D editing mode, just use "turbo" as you would in a regular game mode. Movement speed isn't really the same as fps rate - so the only way you can tell the performance is to see a real fps counter.

But I don't think many people will make HERETIC levels in HEXEN mode levels for the same reason not many people make HERETIC levels - lack of interest. As far as that goes, been possible for quite some time in DeePsea (see ZDOOMHERETIC project).

Bloodskull said:

How lovely, bug fixes cause more bugs. I went into 3d mode, and accidently hit the adjust texture right button on my ceiling, gave me a zero error or something like that and as I hit ok closed out. Poopie.

i've been getting that error all the time

I'm still waiting for a "Make as Sector" type of tool, where when it is used in an enclosed set of lines, it will turn that enclosure into a new sector so I don't have to redraw over all the lines to tall doombuilder that I want it to be a new sector number.

Veddge said:

I'm still waiting for a "Make as Sector" type of tool, where when it is used in an enclosed set of lines, it will turn that enclosure into a new sector so I don't have to redraw over all the lines to tall doombuilder that I want it to be a new sector number.

DoomCAD had essentially that feature (except you drew around the new sector instead of just selecting the lines you want) and it was actually very handy. Actually though, now that I think about it a feature like that would be impossible without drawing, and if you have to draw, you may as well just do just that (by creating a new sector).

Veddge said:

Dmapedit had that.

Also sounds alot like DEU's "Split lines and sector" tool...

deep said:

DS uses a real game engine -> RISEN3D - a Lightning fast port even on large levels.

And Risen3d also has boom support and better editing features as opposed to DoomsDay. Heh, I run a p2 350 with 128 megs of ram and some old STB video card and risen3d runs like a dream on it, but JDoom crashes the second it pulls up! >:(
Speaking of risen3d, expect something RISEN3D related when the next version of Doom Builder comes out? Is it a map? Maybe... Is it a TC? Maybe... I don't know, you will have to wait and see :P

Graf Zahl said:

Hopefully. So far there hasn't been much - excluding your 2 episodes.

Let's not forget Mouse's excellent Wolfen and the already made maps- which I find Caldera (Hexen) as the best with the above exception

Tormentor667 said:

I am still waiting for he SLOPE PREVIEW feature :(

Heh, my words exactly :(

Tormentor667 said:

I am still waiting for he SLOPE PREVIEW feature :(

I have a feeling that slopes being viewed in 3D mode is at the very bottom of CodeImp's priority list, if at all on his list.