Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Hellcore Released

Fusion and Darkfyre have finally released Hellcore, a 32-level partial conversion (to what I'm not sure) that has been in production for several years. I don't know what to say next, so just download and play the damn thing if you want.

I urge you to download Hellcore, at least just to experience those few truly magnificent levels these two highly underrated designers have made! You'll see...

Hmmm... ZDoom doesn't accept map 5, stating that linedef 321 doesn't have a front sidedef.

There's also an unknown object in map 1, in the outside area from where you can see the ship; maybe a 3D mode start from DB or something, but I didn't check.

I played a vanilla doom map that zdoom crapped all over. For whatever reason. ran fine in other ports though.

Also. there's an exclamation point in map01 with zdoom

YEAH! FINALLY! this project has been nearly on the top of my "most awaited projects list" and it's finally released! i'm going to play it immediately!

23mb!?!? some of us only have 56k you know! heh. and i'm on dial up during the afternoon this is gonna kill my phone bill! looking forward to this, hopefully it'll be worthy of a DW demoset!

kristus said:

I played a vanilla doom map that zdoom crapped all over. For whatever reason. ran fine in other ports though.

That's most likely because the map didn't pass ZDoom's rigid consistency checks. ZDoom utterly refuses to play maps that contain lines without a first sidedef.

Also. there's an exclamation point in map01 with zdoom

That's DoomBuilder's camera thing. ZDoom marks all unknown items with an exclamation mark.

Seems like good fun. Got to level 3, I think GLBoom has a problem with map01 as well, I pressed the 2 switches behind the 2 red doors (base-like building), but they didn't seem to do anything, I guessed they were supposed to raise the red bars blocking the exit, so I idclipped my way through instead.

I thought map01 was really bad and really boring, but it really picked up after map02, even though this and probably map03 are much older then map01.....looking forward to playing through! :-)

The big square room, with tiny square pillars in it, with lights that go all out every split second, is a really cool part of Doom...I don't think people use this feature enough :-D With monsters lurking around in it ofcourse.....

Captain Red said:

23MBs for a vanilla doom wad? yikes!

It contains some MP3 tracks (not to mention a huge load of new flats and patches).

Folks, we have a new definition of 'mixed bag'. I've never seen so many great maps crammed together with so many old, lame looking ones. IMO it would have been a much better idea to remove the 96-97 maps, and only keep the best ones.

The really good maps are still worth playing from a pistol start, though :P

heh this sounds like my megawad, with maps from mid ninties next to modern ones. Downloading now! Does it work in Prboom? Can zdoom run map5 at all?

The only map that uses features not found in the original Doom is map32, so it should work fine in prboom.

Getting map05 to work with ZDoom would require fixing the linedef without a front sidedef; it's probably trivial, but DoomBuilder gets confused by the fact that map32 is in Hexen format while the others aren't, so I can't check (or at least not easily). I hope there's gonna be a fixed version soon, though.

Yeah it was basically released as abandonware by DarkFyre.. there are some flaws that need to be worked out, i'll try to go over it and polish it up a bit. I know it's not nearly what we hoped to create, but the entire team has lost motivation, so we felt that releasing it as is, is better than never releasing it at all... I'm sure we'll get flamed for some of the stuff in there, but like i said, we were only trying to get it out and available to the public.

Wow, I had no idea so many people were so interested ;) I apologize for the errors, I've had very little time to play test and from what I saw it ran fine, however it appears otherwise. If I'd known so many people were in to it I would've been more careful. Sorry!

So what I'll do, with Fusion's help as he has no choice, is fix whatever major bugs there are, and rar/zip it for you. So far I believe it's an unknown object in map01, and a bugged linedef in map05. If there are any more major bugs, please post them at http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=28410, and I shall try to get to fixing them this weekend.

Like I said, it's abandoned, released as it was... But you guys seem to be enjoying it, so I'll quickly do a fast checkup on it and repost it.

cool. well i've got the 23mb one now, will have cost about 2 quid to download! but yeah. and can you have a version without any music at all cos i play with it turned off so will be a waste of my prescious bandwidth

note: re: the camera object, it's safe to leave it in just uncheck all the bit fields in doombuilder so it doesnt appear on any skill setting!

Yes, mixed bag is the deal here.. some of the maps were incredible (i particularly like map29... and map32, but then again there wasnt really anything there, now was there?) also, in map3, there's a bi chunk of cubicles with a nice "NOT FINISHED" there... seems rather strange, dontcha think? =P

worth the dl to see some of the freakin godly levels, but there's some plain old mediocre ones there too...

Yeah, map 32 was the last map that i worked on, and i believe it would have been something incredible if it would have been finished.. DF and I had some insane ideas, like a high res monster stalking you throughout the level but done so in such a way that you would never get to see him for longer than a few moments.

What can i say? It had been 9 years, we couldn't stay motivated, and felt it was time to move on. The plan was to remake Hellcore entirely of high quality levels.. but unfortunately the doom community is too thin on mappers to support such an endeavor and that squashed that idea.

When people release mixed-mode wads they *really* need to indicate this in the text file. I cannot count the number of times I've received complaints about crashes in Eternity when it's because a wad has a zdoom/hexen format level thrown in with a bunch of DOOM format levels. I may remedy this by trying to detect Hexen maps and refusing to load them (until such a time I support loading them), but it still should be mentioned in the text file. People might get mad when they see that they cannot play the entire thing.

Maps 01-31 are all 'supposed' to be non-port specific. Map32 is a zdoom only map but it's stated in the text file... Just didn't realize so many of the maps had errors, maybe I should update my zdoom eh? Nonetheless, the /newstuff review gave a full list of what maps certain ports can't run. So when we go over it we can fix as many as we can, I'm just mostly concerned about legacy and zdoom, as that's all I have on my comp and can use to test it. Also a lot of times, ports like jdoom can't handle certain 'complexities' I have in my maps because they're so damn taxing on it.

Nonetheless, sorry about all the problems guys, I hope to have them fixed up for you all soon.