Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

a hobby i know nothing about.

i have only heard about it. howevever it seems to be a popular thing in this area. after all we have a convetion dedicated to it every year. there is a guy behind my home that has always been into it, the large antenna tower always facinated us children as it could be seen for miles. I did on one occasion confuse it with the pork festival until this guy gave me a funny look, the convention is call hamvention.
i am talking about ham radios and from what i have learned it has nothing to do with pigs and ham.
most people who meet me and know anything about me often ask why i am not into that sort of thing. a couple of the guys at work are into it and keep pestering me about it. apperantly my uncle, grand mother and grandfather are into it aswell. most people ask "you are into electronics and not into radio?" well sorry chatting just isn't interesting to me, thats what IRC os for and i dont even use that much.
So out of boredom and curousity how many ham heads do we have here?

while i would enjoy the electronic aspect of it i don't think i would enjoy the rest of it. First off i dont even listen to a normal radio that much and i dont got nothing to talk about. I personaly have some of the equipment which i may sell toa guy at work. my grandparents and uncle gave me some stuff 2 years ago. now it just sits under my bed. hell i cant even really tell you what the shit even does.

my dad once tried to get me interested in it and model rockets. he knew nothing about ham radio so he really couldn't say much, but he loved rockets. i liked them too but others things had my interest, computers and games.

also on the topic of hobbies, what do you do? what have you tried? and what have you tried that you found you hated?

note about hamvention: come to find out its the largest of these events in the world! i guess the worlds longest trap line and ham radio conventions are 2 more things this ares i known for. well they are big drives for business. sadly the trapshoot is moving.

work, sleep, work, sleep, work, sleep, work...

That's a hobby, right?

I really don't have much for hobbies anymore, aside from computers. Though I do have a garden as well, and that takes a considerable amount of my time.

I have a Ham radio license. I don't have any radios, though. My privileges only extend to VHF and UHF bands, usually only useful for communication within less than 100 miles.

In high school, my electronics teacher for 2 of 3 years was a Ham. We didn't get any radio equipment installed, however, until far into my senior year. Usually, I stuck to text communication over PSK31, a mode that transmits over the airwaves by encoding text into frequencies that sound like chirping. Other times I would just cruise around on all the bands and see what I could hear. I was allowed to operate on the lower band (HF) because the school had a club license set up, which had the same privileges as my teacher, who (I think) has the highest class license available.

Nowadays, often times Ham radio is referred to simply as Amateur Radio in order to not confuse simple-minded people such as yourself :P

people often ask if i am in to radios when i metion electronics, where i am from and the street i live in. fact is i know very little about radio. i may have played with parts as a child and built the crystal radios from scratch but that is about it. people often ask about the person who live behind me, many even think that is my house. however i have never even seen the people who live there, infact maybe ghost live there. As children we use to wonder about that odd house because of the many large antenna's and the fact that front of the house is covered in solor panels, looks like a small office building. we use to think aliens and a robot lived there, but we always knew the what the antenna was for.

I also get asked if i am into trap shooting. a sport i can understand. usally get asked because i have a number of shirts. however i have never even shot at a clay pigeon before. i only worked there for 2 years. sadly they are moving it to indiana. i can see 3 reasons. one the grounds are in bad shape, two they cant get much bigger and third guns and airports dont seem to mix. i am surprised it was not shut down in september 2001, but they did add a fence.

Okay...in 2 paragraphs you managed to go from your lack of knowledge of radios to the addition of a fence at a local trap-shooting range?

people also think i am into trap shooting. i have knowlege on that hobby, and i guess if i was rich i would do it. however they think i am into it because i worked there. these (radio and trap shooting) are two hobbies in the area that a very popular from what i have heard and seen.

ok this threat is just about other hobbies we have, besides doom. trapshooting and radio are NOT hobbies of mine, but hobbies people think i have for some odd reason.

Weird. Never heard of Ham heads. I guess that's what this dude at this house 6 blocks away used to do. It was really weird. He had 2 extremely tall antenna's and like 3 large sattelite dishes. He also had this really unusually large garage. No joke, the automatic door alone was like 45 feet long, and 24 feet tall. We used to think he was had to have been a fuckin alien or something. Who the hell would have all that weird ass high powered communication equipment, along with a garage that almost rivaled the size of his own house in size?

CQ CQ, QRZed, KA3M repeater... yeah, I remember this stuff. My dad's a ham radio geek. It's interesting to say the least-- at it's simplest, it's the radio form of ICQ. My dad's callsign is N3EMQ. Anyway, you might want to look at qrz.org if you're interested in the Ham Radio community. You also might want to start learning Morse Code.

My dad's actually talked to people around the world, including Russia, Cambodia, and Japan. When I was younger, he'd take me to this thing called Field Day where a bunch of guys get all of their equipment together at a park and set up a generator, and then they start broadcasting... invariably, a Ham Radio operator's setup ends up looking like this. Most of these guys are also computer nerds(some so hardcore I actually remember a guy fixing his motherboard with a soldering iron), so you'd be in good company either way.

Ideally, the only goal is communication and international awareness. You make friends with people literally EVERYWHERE and on many levels, and that's about it.

Sephiroth said:

also on the topic of hobbies, what do you do? what have you tried? and what have you tried that you found you hated?

TEH HOBBIES

Drawing
Reading
Writing (Fiction)
Exercise
HTML
Mapping (phear the abandoned Underworld)
Games (FPS/RTS/RPG)
Warhammer 40,000 (Tyranid/Dark Eldar)
Music (Rock/Heavy Metal)
Alkyfrol (Vodka)
Movies (Sci-Fi/Drama/Action/Horror/Comedy)
Astronomy
Sex

Oh man I remember when I was in elementary school I would go over to Adam's house and his dad would almost always be using the Ham radio, talking to random people in foreign countries. He was usually on the line with somebody in Germany, but talked with other people from countries we'd never heard of as well. When he wasn't looking, we would get on it and cause havoc. By pure luck we even had a few successful communications, but we were just pressing stuff so whoever was on the other end was probably just like O_o and moved on to the next person :P

He eventually found out and kicked us off, but we thought it was a cool enough idea that we tried to build our own Ham radio out of an erector set and a bunch of wires on the ping pong table in my basement. I eventually hooked it up to the train layout transformer and blew almost every circuit in the house. We tried once again at his house by tying a bunch of wires and insulators into a mangled spider-web across most of his backyard, but it just wasn't happening.

I'm pretty sure my parents have pictures of it somewhere, I'll have to see if I can find them.

I'm going to ignore the bits of this thread that suggest massive brain damage and just concentrate on the hobbies.

IRC and Forum trolling obviously, I also play a fair ammount of hero-questyish board games using rules made up on the spot. I write constantly, do a fair ammount of art, ranging from modeling to the stuff that I post here once and a while. I used to be a complete warhammer 40K geek, but I got pissed off sometime during the third edition when the game was won by the person who spent the most money on Warhammer products.

Currently I'm working on a few ideas for doom, working on a zombie-sentric RPG based on a mishmash of old rule systems I found lying in a box in my bedroom, trolling and working on real human relationships.

Some hobbies:

Reading
Writing
Drawing
Mapping
Coding
Architectural Drawing
Learning
Etc.

Heh, most people my age (in my area at least) probably spend more time killing brain cells than doing anything important. Ah well.
Yay, I'm a geek.

The only hobbies anyone has around here are sports and ricing, both of which are major turn-offs for me.

I have a few hobbies I guess:

Warhammer 40k minis
Writing (unsuccessfully)
Making Music (unsuccessfully)
Doodling
Aquiring an eerily encyclopedic knowledge on history

Yeah, I suck.

Danarchy said:

The only hobbies anyone has around here are sports and ricing, both of which are major turn-offs for me.

what do you mean by "ricing"? if your talking about that shitty ass car trend/fad then i totaly fucking agree. it's annoying. what is so cool about a lound car and a big spoiler? oh wait... i forgot...the small penis thing....
i have a shirt that says "I don't care how loud or fast your car is. it will not make your penis bigger."

my neighbor has one with a viper on the front that says "penis extension device" on the back it says "9 out of 10 guys agree. this car makes you a BIGGER man."

i actually turned in several of my brother's friends for street racing. its just stupid. i have seen too many people hurt or killed doing it, that or adding in beer.

sports on the other hand can be cool. but i do it for fun, i am not gonna dedicate my life to a sport. its something to do on the weekends

Aside from the immediately obvious (Doom), I also play video games (duh), make video games (don't get excited, I use some ancient game creation system from 1997 that runs in text mode), and have an encyclopedic knowledge of firearms and can identify nearly any gun seen in a movie. It's surprisingly easy for most of them, near impossible for others (I still can't remember the name of whatever the AK variant Arnold used in Commando was). I also make failed attempts at drawing, and make sound effects (I wish I had a real recording studio).

Sephiroth said:

what do you mean by "ricing"? if your talking about that shitty ass car trend/fad then i totaly fucking agree. it's annoying. what is so cool about a lound car and a big spoiler? oh wait... i forgot...the small penis thing....
i have a shirt that says "I don't care how loud or fast your car is. it will not make your penis bigger."

Yeah, thats it. At least the EXTEMELY LOUD SUBWOOFERS have fallen out of fashion, so I don't have to hear those anymore. I hear those assholes racing in the middle of the night all the time. What I find to be rather scary is that I'm driving around at that time of night a lot and if those fuckers ever crash into me they better hope that I or they die, because the alternative will be much worse.

Also, they seem to be the closest thing to gangs around here. The stupid bastards gather in parking lots at night making all kinds of noise and blocking off side roads. There have been numerous times I've been driving around at night alone or with others where I've taken a shortcut down a side road by a parking lot and I cant get past because they're in the way. Then when you go up to them they all glare at you like you've intruded on their secret hideout and now they have to kill you. You stupid fucks, the Denny's parking lot is not your secret hang out, it's public fucking space.

thats what police are for.... i know what you mean.

i have known 3 people killed in or by street racing. a few others injured. if you want to race do it at the track. atleast there you can make a professional name for your self, have all the tools, medical staff and mechanics you need.
one kid my brother knows may never see his car agian, and he put over $3000 in it. i am guess some of the stuff is not street legal.

mostly i am into computers, but i do alot of out doors stuff and biology studies (mostly reptiles and amphibians)

Sephiroth said:

thats what police are for.... i know what you mean.

i have known 3 people killed in or by street racing.

OK, it's not like I'm defending such a stupid sport as midnight racing... but bodycounts have nothing to do with it. For every 3 people in your lifetime who you know were killed, 50 more will die of cancer, alcohol, or genetic diseases.

(This coming from a guy who gets to hear every day about how drugs are bad mmkay)

I have 4 main hobbies. Programming/game design, video games, music composition, and playing/collecting Yu-Gi-Oh TCG cards. Flame away on the last one if you want, it matters not to me.

As for my music, a lot of people from IRC know I've been working on a single piece since I was in 9th grade (some of the themes in it are older than that) called "Les sons de l'été". It is a story about two people who are destined to meet and fall in love, and their love begins the resurrection of an ancient power that can change the world. It's full of pagan themes and has poems which it provides musical settings for. I work on it a bit at a time, refining, rewriting what I did back in high school, and reorganizing it. Someday I want to get it published and actually performed, it's one of my dreams.

Quasar said:

Flame away on the last one if you want, it matters not to me.

It's time to D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-Duel! :D

That wasn't a flame, but I just watched Yu-Gi-Oh! recently and I find that part catchy. Though my deck is really lacking. :D I want one of those arm Dee-Lees that they have on their arms on the show where they put their cards into, I am sure I saw a commercial for them, that would be so awesome. :D

Danarchy said:

ricing

I dunno what's with people and dumping stupid amounts of money to turn an import econo box into a race car. Especially those wings/spoilers that serve absolutely no purpose for the type of setup they have, aside from the added weight resulting in lower fuel economy. Wings are for airplanes. If, for some demented reason I felt like making an econobox go fast I'd just pull out that shit engine, do some fabrication work and stick a nice V8 small block chevy in it. To hell with tuning a crap motor.

I also find it funny when people stick nice, large, chrome mags onto their shit box commuter car which is worth as much the car. Even funnier when the brake rotors behind them are all rusty.

I have a Ham radio license. I don't have any radios, though.

You need a license to own/use a HAM radio? Heh, I have two in my garage, and my best friend has these walkie-talkies that double as portable HAM radios. We usually bike around with them, pissing off truckers and harassing chicks at the beach.

Oh, and my parents met on HAM radio.

Coopersville said:

Oh, and my parents met on HAM radio.

thats kinda creepy...but i guess it is more personal than meeting on the internet. and i am willing to bet a whole hell of alot safer. i just cant imagine a creepy pedo transexual fat guy/girl/it on a ham radio

i dont think you need a licence to own the radios, could be wrong here folks. however none of the people i know can even tell me what the HAM stands for

DOOM Anomaly said:

I want one of those arm Dee-Lees that they have on their arms on the show where they put their cards into, I am sure I saw a commercial for them, that would be so awesome. :D

Yeah they have those, but they are cheap plastic for kids, and I hear they are too small to allow card protectors and tear up cards after repeated use, and besides, how do you see the trap & spell zones? o_O

Anyways we better not hijack this thread or people will get cranky ;) Check out my page on it at http://eternity.mancubus.net/yugioh, though ^_^

Quasar said:

Yeah they have those, but they are cheap plastic for kids, and I hear they are too small to allow card protectors and tear up cards after repeated use, and besides, how do you see the trap & spell zones? o_O

Anyways we better not hijack this thread or people will get cranky ;) Check out my page on it at http://eternity.mancubus.net/yugioh, though ^_^

Just one quick comment. :D

I was considering getting one of those card holders just for the heck of it and for Halloween so I could run around and be like "IT'S TIME TO DUUUUEL!" to random strangers. :D A lot of my cards are already torn up since I got them from my friends who didn't want them. :P I remember your site. :D

Yeah they see a lot of use at cosplay conventions, judging from some not-too-pretty pictures I saw ;)

Play games, preferably FPSs, do pencil art (though nowadays it happens on extremely rare occasions), do pixel art (more common, since I do sprites for a certain classic Doom project), write stories (not as common anymore).

I started on a 3d animation course a while back, which could technically be called a 'hobby'. I not only learn to animate, but to actually do models too - pretty cool.

Quasar said:

Yeah they see a lot of use at cosplay conventions, judging from some not-too-pretty pictures I saw ;)

Is anything pretty when it comes to cosplay?