Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vomit

does anyone recomend a gamepad?

Which is better for doom 3. A gamepad or just keyboard. I've never played, but im going to. I want to be prepared to kick some cyberdemon ass! I figured with a double joystick gamepad i could use one joystick to look around/turn, and the other to move forward/backwards and strafe. what do you think?

Whatever works for you.

I personally find the ol' keyboard and mouse combo to be perfectly fine.

keyboard/mouse will give you the best preformance and speed. however in single player a gamepad can also be as good. cant recommend any cause i dont use any. the last one i owned was the gravis gamepad. it looked like a playstation controller. i used it for side scrollers, tombraider and a few other games

Mr. Chris said:

Mouse + Keyboard.
Accept no substitutions.

What he said, and for sure if you're gonna be playing more pc fps's.

Vomit said:

i figure something like a plastatioon 2 controller would work good

I actually find the GameCube controller to be best for FPS' (though the PS2 controller 0wnz it for other types of games, especially 3D platformers). Metroid Prime is the eaisest to control console FPs I've ever played.

I'm *probably* the best gamepad player on zdaemon (that's the most popular multiplayer port for Doom on the internet btw in case you didn't know) but then that's perhaps not difficult because there are few others.

I play Doom with mouse and keyboard as well but since PSX Doom I just got used to playing it with gamepad and have done ever since. For single player I prefer gamepad because it's a basic control method for what is a basic game. I have a 10-button w/ triggers psx controller variant which does eveyrthing I want it to.

Online, against good players who use mouse and keyboard, it has its ups and downs. Ups are excellent control over your movement and dodging (if you're good of course) and downs are a lack of natural accuracy over mouse. Also it's difficult to replace mouselook. Usually I'm not even bothered about mouselook but for some ctf maps etc. I will use mouse instead. It really just depends.

For every other fps I use mouse and keyboard, heh. Unless they're as basic as Doom but what is nowadays?

Gamepad's fine but you'll need alot of practice to become really good standard, and even then in deathmatch the ultimate limit of your performance will probably be less than with mouse.

Edit: Well, duh I just realised this is about Doom3 of course. You made me think I was in Classic heh. For Doom3 I'd use mouse and keyboard, for sure.

If you can find a space orb 360 get it, i hear theyre fantastic

Better yet, a Logitech Cyberman - except that's not a gamepad, it's a 6-axis mouse replacement.