Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
[D3HoE]Makaveli

Room Over Room

I know that room over room doesn't work in doom but I want to know if anyone has fixed it or can fix it. The source code is out so i assume it is possible to fix.

Zdoom has room-over-room but its hard and ugly

otherwise use Legacy its the best of 3D floors(At least what i think)

don't any of you remember the old ROR port? i think it is still listed on the source ports section. anyways that is all it did, add ROR support. i dont even think ti had boom support. however legacy and all those do have it now.

Sephiroth said:

don't any of you remember the old ROR port? i think it is still listed on the source ports section. anyways that is all it did, add ROR support. i dont even think ti had boom support. however legacy and all those do have it now.

Julian's ROR Doom is based on Boom.

[D3HoE]Makaveli said:
The source code is out so i assume it is possible to fix.

Get to work.

impClaw said:

Zdoom has room-over-room but its hard and ugly

ZDoom's room-over-room is not ugly in the slightest - it looks just like "real" 3D in Doom would. Somewhat buggy and rather limited yes, but ugly no.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned EDGE. It has 3D floors, and heck, they made them LONG before Legacy adapted this code to their port.

1. Hey are EDGE or Cdoom good

2. i compared Zdooms ROR with legacys, Thats why i said that it was ugly. And it is HARDER to make.

[D3HoE]Makaveli said:
I know that room over room doesn't work in doom but I want to know if anyone has fixed it or can fix it.

I find it interesting that you're referring to it as a "problem" that needs "fixing". I assure you it's not a problem, but simply a limitation of the knowledge at the time.

If you want a port that lets you make some 3d stuff, edge and legacy have been mentioned. Zdoom and Eternity's portals give the illusion of a ROR or true 3D setup.

impClaw said:

i compared Zdooms ROR with legacys, Thats why i said that it was ugly. And it is HARDER to make.

Since they look exactly the same, that would make Legacy's ugly too. They may work in completely different ways - and ZDoom's effect is much more limited - but when you're playing the map you really can't tell the difference.

ZDoom's stacked sectors aren't hard to make in the slightest, as long as you remember the limits of what they can do. Just make the area to be displayed as a stack, and add thing type 9993 to the lower area and thing type 9992 to the higher area (making sure both have the same TID); i.e. if the stack is going to be displayed in the ceiling of the room the player can move around in, place thing type 9993 in the stack and 9992 in the room.

Eternity WAS going to get rorDoom-style ROR, but Julian skipped out on us :P If he ever finalizes his code, I'll definitely add it ^_^

impClaw said:

1. Hey are EDGE or Cdoom good

CDoom is basically Boom with 3D floors, but it's still in the developmental stages. (updates get posted to newstuff every so often)

Edge I've not really used, so I don't really know. (it is said to be unreliable though)