Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dyne

mp3 to midi question

How do you turn an mp3 to a midi. I have tried some programs but it doenst work or it ounds really lame with only a piano sound.
Thanks alot for any help

Well first you need to find a MIDI distribution unit to convert the notes into hex, then you'll need to take notepad or some other text editor and a hex calculator and convert the values one by one. This used to be possible with a small conversion utility, but since then someone put goatse.ck trojans in it and it was erased from the archives. Now you gotta do it the hard way :(

Anyways, after you convert all the values, you'll need to find a lump management device and export the doommusic lump into a readable source. Finally, take the general MIDI values and look up the tables for each note. There should be values corresponding to the level which you want it to replace. You take that value append it to the end of the file with the hex values.

Hope this helps some.

Hey Earthquake, you mean to say this is actually possible without sounding like crap? I got your texture files and some wads so I am not at all disrespectful of your knowledge, I just thought it was impossible to convert an mp3 to midi.

God damnit, don't you know what sarcasm is?

No, there is no program or method for converting mp3 to midi. These are two completely different file types. Mp3s are digital recordings of audio as where midi files are sets of instructions/notes for a MIDI playback device to play.

Sorry. Well, you coulda just ignored my reply! I copied all you wrote thinking I might be able to use your advice!

Thought the forum was to help people with mapping problems and questions?

I have had a lot of questions answered here. Sarcasm is one thing: "You dumbass!" I can tolerate. Completely misleading info bothers me. Grrrr.

psyren said:

Sarcasm is one thing: "You dumbass!" I can tolerate. Completely misleading info bothers me. Grrrr.

Calling you a dumbass would be flaming, which I'm not going to do. Besides, could you really make heads or tails out of that total bullshit post I made? :P (That was kinda funny)

Anyways, the question has been answered. Move along!

EarthQuake said:
Besides, could you really make heads or tails out of that total bullshit post I made? :P (That was kinda funny)

Yes, this was funny...

There are a few programs that can extrapolate notation from audio, thus giving you a midi from an mp3. However it will only be notation data, probably played in a single instrument. This is of great use to people trying to manually convert the songs or perhaps do some audio work. But if you're looking for a point-and-click program to do it all for you, you're SOL.

if you're a musician it can be done. You can listen your way out of it. Just listen and write down what notes are played, and then convert the stuff to midi..

Well, I copied what apparent technical knowledge you seemed to possess, with hopes that, if I had the necessary tools I might do it step by step. No, I really didn't make any sense of it, but many technical things are like that.

Like EvisceratoR says, it could be done by ear. Maybe it could be done copying certain digital frequencies and eliminating ambiant noise and extra sounds until you optimise the 7 midi channels available? I don't know. I'm not a musician but I do have a good ear.

Anyway, despite your somewhat distasteful sense of humor, I posted a link for your textures on my new site. (I know you can be trusted for this!)

http://numerometria.com/doom.htm

I did have an MP3 to MIDI program once, but it wanted some 'tone file' or something. when i tried to convert "God save the queen" i took the first second of it to be the 'tone file' (cause it said it had to be 1 second long) and used it, and ended up with a complete mess of random sounds

I think his question was if there was a program that could decifer the notes in any particular song (such as an mp3) and successfully create a midi file out of those notes that the program understood. Of course this would be rather chaotic for rock music considering drums and vocals, but you never know.

It takes a musician, or at least one with an ear for music to even attempt to make a midi out of an mp3. I have some good ones, but many many bad ones!

Most often this comes from some non-artist thinking the VOCAL must be assigned to some instrument and it sounds terrible!

For game purposes, most really cool .mp3 or.ogg songs COULD prolly be converted to midi with good results. Yes, the great depth and ambiance of the original would be lost, but I am happy with many midis I have found.