Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hert Malker

Scythe II Progress

What is the current progress report for the soon-to-be-released (hopefully) Scythe II megawad and about when do you expect it to be released? Also, are the levels going to be small and simple as in the original Scythe, or will they be bigger and more advanced?

I'm just recycling old news here...

Currently, 26 maps are finished. The format for the megawad is a 6 episode structure with a distinct theme for each episode. The episode structure was chosen to give Erik more creative freedom as well as not allowing too much room for ammo hoarding... just spend that ammo as you get it and have fun. :)

The levels are bigger, more detailed, and more difficult than the previous Scythe, but that patented Erik-style gameplay is still present. Any further details I'll leave up to Erik to divulge, but rest assured that there are some new surprises in store...

EDIT: oh yeah, the release date... it's too cliched to even mention...

Doom Marine said:

I'm guessing Christmas?

Not cliched enough... I was thinking more like "when it's done."

I don't think Erik likes release dates... without one, he's free to work at his own pace with less pressure. The final levels will probably need more game testing time anyway because of the nature of the beast (expect skill 4 to be even more brutal than before, so tweaking the lower skills is more important for wider appeal).

Vile said:

The format for the megawad is a 6 episode structure with a distinct theme for each episode. The episode structure was chosen to give Erik more creative freedom as well as not allowing too much room for ammo hoarding... just spend that ammo as you get it and have fun. :)

I don't really get this. On certain maps, will there be a texture or something telling us to reload the map in order to start with just the pistol? Or is it 6 different WADs?

you will be killed at the exit of maps 05,10,15,20 and 25. Much like the original scythe where you were killed at the end of maps 10 and 20.

I suggested it to him, since it would add a nice little touch, but don't expect anything. It's just another thing that would delay release. There's two possibilites I mentioned though:

1. Adding an intermission screen at the end of each episode. The kind I envisioned were simply to set the scene, much like the transition between hubs in Hexen. Of course, the concern was not making them sound too cheesy like some of doom's cutscenes.

2. Just removing the old cutscenes at the end of maps 06, 11, etc... since they serve no purpose anymore.

I'm not too sure, but I think this would only benefit zdoom anyway (unless I misunderstood this), and the megawad is designed for multiple ports, so there's less incentive to tweak around one.

TheDarkArchon said:

What about intermisson messages?

Use my DEH patch!

Fredrik said:

Who reads intermission messages?

Though the skies make a difference using the DOS engines, especially for demo playback or when warping. Sets composed of maps 01-06, 07-11, 12-15 (plus maybe 31-32), 16-20, 21-25, 26-30 would give seamless skies, except for the secret maps. Although if the skies were similar (like in Memento Mori) or the same, it wouldn't matter.

Vile said:

I'm not too sure, but I think this would only benefit zdoom anyway (unless I misunderstood this), and the megawad is designed for multiple ports, so there's less incentive to tweak around one.

That may be so but that's more or less the other ports' fault which still don't have any means (or no simple means) to alter this stuff. Making a simple MAPINFO will take a few minutes at most, enhance the game for all players using ZDOOM and do nothing negative for the rest.

Furthermore, ZDoom's MAPINFO could be easily used to select all 6 episodes directly in the menu.

Stuff like this is rather minor, I'll consider it when the important bit is finished (the maps).

Graf Zahl said:

Furthermore, ZDoom's MAPINFO could be easily used to select all 6 episodes directly in the menu.

Though it might look screwy having six episodes in a single menu. It'll be best just to wait and see.

Erik said:

you will be killed at the exit of maps 05,10,15,20 and 25.

and a few other times as well, I assume. :P