Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
geekmarine

Physics

You know, it seems to me that a lot of effort was put into that physics model, especially in regards to the ragdoll stuff, but it doesn't really seem to have been used to its full potential. What's up with that? And yeah, I know you can get mods to stop corpses from disintegrating, but I don't really get the point of doing all that cool ragdoll physics stuff if you're only gonna have the bodies vaporize or gib.

geekmarine said:

You know, it seems to me that a lot of effort was put into that physics model, especially in regards to the ragdoll stuff, but it doesn't really seem to have been used to its full potential. What's up with that? And yeah, I know you can get mods to stop corpses from disintegrating, but I don't really get the point of doing all that cool ragdoll physics stuff if you're only gonna have the bodies vaporize or gib.

The ragdoll physics aren't used in vain - for one thing, killing zombies with the pistol wouldn't be anywhere near as fun if it weren't for ragdoll physics combined with per-poly hit detection (which basically mean that the zombs flinch rather visibly in different ways depending on where they were hit).

The vaporating demons stay long enough to ensure that their corpses fly through the air in a cool way before disappearing. Blast an imp up close (read: at point blank range) with the shotgun and watch it fly back - this wouldn't have been as cool had it not been for ragdoll physics (because you can get the imp to fall in many different, often very cool, ways).

I noticed a lot of screwiness with the Doom3 physics, maybe that's why?

Also, the demon characters are very jagged and angular (most of them seem to have a considerably lower polycount than the zombie/marine characters) and so id probably made them fade away to make this a little more unnoticable, since they look fine when they're moving.