Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr.Doom

I'm not too impressed

Doom 3 really didn't scare me too much and I was expecting it to be a lot more DISTURBING. I mean,sure the first couple times a zombie jumps out at you THAT'S GREAT! But then you get used to the routine, dark place, demons and zombies popping out,fight or die trying...I mean, yeah there was this one part when a girls head ripped open but...it wasn't like you could see the brains or anything (even though that part was kinda creepy). Who agrees with me?

I suppose it all depends on your definition of 'disturbing'.

I don't know of many games where you can actually go to hell and see hi-poly mutilated corpses on the walls, still moving.

What are people expecting this game to do? Have Roseanne Barr reach through monitor and touch their no-no parts?

It's fine how it is.

Jomero said:

What are people expecting this game to do? Have Roseanne Barr reach through monitor and touch their no-no parts?

It's fine how it is.

lol

I really wasnt expecting the game to be scary in the first place.What I did wanted was a Graphically stunning game with Classic Doom gameplay and id software didnt dissapoint me.

Something that's disturbing to us never lasts very long. More often than not, we're so desensitized to anything that creeps us out, so I never expected the game to be too diconcerting.

I liked the tension and the "What's going to happen next" mood to the game, though. I thought that was top-notch.

Dr.Doom said:

[...] and I was expecting it to be a lot more DISTURBING.

You don't think shooting demons that look and sound like babies is disturbing?
Get your head checked.

AirRaid said:

As Relica said, most FPS players are really desensitized now dsm.

I dunno. Seeing a cat getting its head blown off (albeit accidentally) in Boondock Saints freaked me a touch in an 'OMFG WTF?' way.

Well, I was expecting something less repetetive than this endless and boring routine. I never even finished Doom3 because it wasn't any fun playing it. No, it's not a good game and it most certainly doesn't deserve to be called 'Doom'!

dsm said:

Get your head checked.

Well, I would find that disturbing. However, that's not what I was doing.

By the time I'd met them, I'd stopped really caring so they didn't have much impact. I wasn't killing demons that looked like babies, I was killing things in a game.

Also, they are just too obvious. I mean, they are a clear, blatant attempt to provide something disturbing looking. The old "OMG it's a baby" trick was frankly just too heavy handed. I thought they were just too damn contrived.

However, perhaps they may have had more of an effect if somehow their whole "personality" had backed up what they were meant to engender in me. Instead, they just ended up being leaping lost soul type attack creatures giving out a comical screech.

Still, I guess they are just another example of how Doom3 feels to me as a whole. A wasted opportunity.

dsm said:

Get your head checked.

You think shooting your fake gun at fake 3D models that are modeled to look like fake babies in an effort to be scary is disturbing?
Get your head checked.

Linguica said:

You think shooting your fake gun at fake 3D models that are modeled to look like fake babies in an effort to be scary is disturbing?
Get your head checked.

Look out kids, we have a new resident Billy Badass who gets scared by nothing. Some people do get scared and disturbed by stuff like that.

Alientank said:

Look out kids, we have a new resident Billy Badass who gets scared by nothing.

well if you say so

Doom3 wasnt disturbing because it went out of its way to constantly remind you your playing a game all the time. Everything from the level design to the monster use was not in any way resembling classic dooms gameplay, imo it was a simplified half-life.

Ironically, the only part of the game that i felt was scary involved the monsters NOT being visible. I was moving through the underground before you meet the mancubus, and all you could hear was the thumping of his feet... THAT was the only part of the game that actually got to me.

games that have been truly scary have scary environments, and to me its more importnant to have the player player explore and discover... doom3s environmnets dont allow that

You want disturbing go to BANNABLE OFFENSE! you want a graphically creepy game check out Doom 3.

I haven't been around here in awhile, I came back around to see what was going on, and seems nothing has changed since D3 release. Still people piss'n and moan'n about the game not being this or that. *shrug*

ZiGZaG said:

Still people piss'n and moan'n about the game not being this or that. *shrug*

Probably because it should have been "this or that" and it fell a long way short. *shrug*

ZiGZaG said:

You want disturbing go to BANNABLE OFFENSE! you want a graphically creepy game check out Doom 3.

Im never going to that website ever again in my life.

ZiGZaG said:

Smart move.

Linguica said:

Get your head checked.

I'm not impressed.

Really though ID intended DOOM 3 to be all about the graphics and thought that if they had updated graphics the whole game would be creepier but of sadly it was just doom 1 with eye candy

ZiGZaG said:

I haven't been around here in awhile, I came back around to see what was going on, and seems nothing has changed since D3 release. Still people piss'n and moan'n about the game not being this or that. *shrug*

yeah , isnt it amazing that people can have opinions that arent all positive? about an id game at that! wow, just amaing.

Well, I thought the game was a nice touch. It's not very scary because I watch heck of a lot of horror moves and play many dark games. After awhile, i think people start seeing the repetitiveness of the monsters throughout the FPS games (claws, sharp teeth, many eyes/no eyes, elongated body parts, etc).

I thought doom 3 was really nice though with the awesome lighting, made it almost movie like. I wasn;t too thrilled about the game play, however, especially multiplayer. It's too slow. I dont like the weaponry in DOOM 3 though.Way too many ammo types. I'm surprise for a realisitc game lie that, it's so unrealisitc when it comes to the Doom guy carring tons and tons of stuff on himat the same time.

Bfgthd said:

Really though ID intended DOOM 3 to be all about the graphics and thought that if they had updated graphics the whole game would be creepier but of sadly it was just doom 1 with eye candy

If it had just been that I might have enjoyed the game. Instead I got a slow moving game consisting mostly of mazes filled with monsters that were so annoying that it wasn't like 'Great, something to fight!' but more like 'Shit! Even more monsters?'.

Graf Zahl said:

If it had just been that I might have enjoyed the game.

Agreed!

Graf Zahl said:

mazes filled with monsters

I think "filled with monsters" is wrong. "With a few monsters in the dull maze at the start, but rapidly filling with teleporting monsters both in front and (predictably) behind me all the time making the game increasingly dull and repetative to play" would be closer to the mark.

DoomDan said:

...with Classic Doom gameplay and id software didnt dissapoint me.

Which part of the game gave you "classic Doom gameplay"? Because I certainly didn't find any.