Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DOOM Anomaly

Crashtacular Media Player.

Hoodle-Dee-Doodle woo.

For the past while for some reason Windows Media Player (and now DivX) won't play WMV files and a few other ones. When I try to open them, it pauses for a few seconds then gives me:

This

And this if I click the click here dee-lee.

Now originally this isn't too much of a problem as I have other media players, but when I try to view videos from the internet, it automatically opens them in Windows Media, and I get that crashy dee-lee, and can't watch them. I tried seeing if I could save them or open them in a different one via right-click or a different web browser, but that didn't work.

I've tried reinstalling Windows Media Player several times, but to no avail. I'm sorry if this is a simple thing that could be solved easily. But can anyone help me out as to what I could do to fix it or at least be able to view videos from the internet in a different media player? Thanks. :D

The last time I checked Wmp 10 was a beta so I was skeptical about if it would help make it better, I am currently using 9 series, but I guess trying 10 wouldn't hurt. :D

Bloodshedder said:

Or you can always try Media Player Classic.

I already have it, and have for a while. I use it for things, it's just that WMP was set to the default for all the files so it always opened them in it when I clicked on links to files on the internet. But I changed the defaults to MPC and it's running dandy now. :D
Thanks. :D

Dang, it seems to be a bit more than I thought, I can't upload wmv files to movie maker, which I need to be able to do.

Is there any codec pack or anything of the sort that I can download that would help me view most files that are common so I don't have to install 3895025 codecs to view files, which is maybe how this happened in the first place.

Thanks. :D

insertwackynamehere said:

Heh I use that skin, because the default one is too tacky (just like all programs that change the GUI of the forms)

It's not a skin, it's a player. It just happens to look like Windows Media player 6.4.

DOOM Anomaly said:

Is there any codec pack or anything of the sort that I can download that would help me view most files that are common so I don't have to install 3895025 codecs to view files, which is maybe how this happened in the first place.

Yeah, the K-Lite Codec Pack seems to be a popular one. I have no idea what the official homepage of it is or what the latest version is, but I'm sure with some Googling you can find out.

I use 1337player for videos after I gave up using IrfanView. For some reason movies in IView would gradually turn red during playback. Wierd stuff. 1337player has most of the features I need, including a really good fullscreen zoom and easy playback of the next/previous file in the directory (it can even progress to the next one automatically, which is pretty nice). It's only 183kb, too.

I've got this same problem, despite using the latest updates of windows and WMP. Medica Player Classic can be used to play wmv files on your computer, but unfortunately it can't help when you're trying to stream one.

i never use the wmv files. never ever dowloand them on a P2P network.

that whole "licence" thing gets annoying. other than that WMP is a great program.