Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Darkstalker

PC controller/gamepad

I want to buy a controller for my PC and I have no idea what's good and what's not. I'd like to have your suggestions for something good and not too costly (between 20 and 40$).

I'd want a controller that could be similar to a PS2 controller (analog buttons, joystick(s), directionnal pad, L/R buttons). Something similar to the Nyko Air Flo EX but without the fan. Any help on this would be appreciated.

I've yet to own a single PC game pad that didn't have at least one really annoying flaw.

Anyways, if you're looking for a gamepad that is similar to the PlayStation controller, the closest one I've seen is the Gravis GamePad Pro, which looks exactly like a plain PSOne controller (without the analog sticks). The problem with it, though, is that I have always had problems with the d-pad being way too sensitive, which is really annoying.

You could always buy an adapter, too. There are plenty of PS2-PC adapters that allow you to hook your PS2 controller into a Serial/USB port.

I've been thinking about getting an adapter for my X-Box controller, so I could use that for what little PC games I use a gamepad for.

personaly for FPS's and MP controllers are not recommened as keyboard and mouse are much faster. however for other types of games. racing and side scroller. say commander keen or DN:MP then they are nice.

we have that contoler at work. fairly nice and very much like a PS2 controller. however the seitek(sp) is another really nice one we have.
personaly i have only ever owned the gravis game pads. i had hit or miss luck with those. however they used the game port on the sound cards. not USB.

A classmate told me to get a controller for Silent Hill 4 because the keyboard control are ugly. For me it would be mostly for emulators and older games. Another friend of mine told me he got a 3rd party PS2 controler for 20$ and works great with his PS2/PC adapter. I just remembered that I have a similar adapter that I use for my DDR pad so I'll just use it for my controller. Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

I would also throw in a recommendation for the PS/2 adapter.

I've been looking into good gamepads for use with emulated fighting games and the PC-only gamepads are mostly horrid for that. The D-pad on 99% of them look like this and is totally unsuitable for fighting games.

If I ever decide to buy a new gamepad I'll go for the PS/2 adapter route myself, even though I despise the d-pad on the stock gamepads. Apparently there are 3rd party PS controllers that have standard d-pads, but I haven't really looked too hard for any just yet.

If you want to spend a lot of money, Sega actually made a USB version of the Saturn controller which is regarded as a damn nice gamepad for fighting games, but it's like $35 (if you can still find it). There are also guides to building your own adapters that plug into the parallel port so you can use other various console pads (NES, SNES, normal Saturn, etc).

I recently bought two PS2-USB adapters, and they have yet to arrive. In the meantime, I have to put up with my Logitech Wingman Rumblepad - the sticks are too loose and rarely if ever center properly, the throttle slider popped off, and the D-pad is really flimsy and it's very difficult to get it to go straight (it tends towards diagonals).

wtf controllers with colling fans? The geeks have taken over the asylum.

Can't beat your basic gravis gamepad pro. Mine's knackered after years of sterling service, I bought a cheap 10-button replacement from Game, does the job, nothing fancy, all I need.

pritch said:

wtf controllers with colling fans? The geeks have taken over the asylum.

Can't beat your basic gravis gamepad pro. Mine's knackered after years of sterling service, I bought a cheap 10-button replacement from Game, does the job, nothing fancy, all I need.

yea there are also ones for xbox and PS2. also they have a mouse that is the same way. neat but not worth the extra money. Its not like my hands sweat alot anyways.

Gravis' Pro gamepads are good 10-button solutions; although, they're more of your PS1-style layout.

I bought a 12 buttons Hip Gear PS2 controller at Zellers for 15$. It's pretty useful with a snes emulator: L2 for turbo/R2 for state change and the two analogs pad buttons for save/load state. It also comes with turbo buttons function but I don't really need it. I'm quite satisfied with it. NFSU and SH4 plays much better with a controller than keyboard. Playing in my bed with 6.1 surround with no lights has never been this fun :P