Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moetiger

Doom3 no CD key i didnt get on with it.

Well then take it back. If there's no cd key, then they can't be worried that you burned the discs and installed it anyways. If they give you a hard time, just complain until they finally refund or exchange it. Rather odd problem though, I've never bought a game without a cd key in it. Activisions getting lazy.

IIRC, the CD Key is on the back cover of the printed manual. (Can't check that right now, since my copy of Doom3 is about 11,000 miles away.) That was on a copy I bought in the UK - might vary between various releases, of course.

Jello said:

Rather odd problem though, I've never bought a game without a cd key in it.

I've had this happen to me before, too - except it was with TrackMania. The CD key just wasn't there. Thank goodness they were giving them out if you could send them your order info.

i once bought duke3d from wall-mart and it didnt have a CD. That was fucking horrible, then they would not let me return it. so i snook in later that evening replaced it and grabed a fresh copy. i hate the redneck store. always some damn issue with them.

i bought command and conquor and it had the nod disk missing. i got it replaced. its funny because if you played the nod you needed that disk and playing the nod was the best thing about that game.

Nice photoshop job, but not nice enough. You kept your rectangle that you blocked out the key with one color, and it's inconsistent with the rest of the sticker.

Uhh. I see an inconsistency there next to "Doom 3" at the top but it's not big enough, IMO. to hide an entire 18 charcater CD key. And the bottom under the text, where it would be logical to print the key, is flawless. SO uhh... I don't think so. Why the hell would anyone do that anyway? He wasn't asking for someone else's CD key, he was just asking what to do.

Jomero said:

Nice photoshop job, but not nice enough. You kept your rectangle that you blocked out the key with one color, and it's inconsistent with the rest of the sticker.

Which picture are you looking at? I see a ton on jpeg compression artifacts in the space where the key should be. If you're looking at the perfectly vertical compression artifacts on the right edge, they do look suspicious since they're vertical and don't line up with the edge of the sticker, but the same effect is repeated on the upper left edge as well where he probably didn't need to draw a rectangle/edit.

I'm sorry but this one's inconclusive at worst and genuine at best.

I know you can't post pictures, but here's links.
Here's the original picture. Hard to see compression artifacts right?

Playing with the levels a bit, you can really bring out those artifacts. There is a pronounced discoloration and group of artifacts at the edge of the sticker that align themselves perfectly vertically as if they're a byproduct of the rectangle tool.

Drawing a rectangle highlights the effect, however if you draw the rectangle to highlight the discoloration, you cross artifact blocks, and if you draw the rectangle to highlight blocks of artifacts, then the discoloration doesn't line up.

Sorry, but it doesn't add up. It's just regular ol' Jpeg compression artifacts. Also look at how the sticker is lit. It is bright at the top, and darker near the bottom. If he used a rectangle and filled it in, it'd stick out like a sore thumb. Perhaps he used the clone stamp or healing tool, but I really doubt it.

Aah, that explains the smearing up at the top. I didn't even look too much at that. Was too busy investigating the part where the key belongs :-P

Ah. I was looking where the part number would be. Forgot the key was at thee bottom.

Heh.

This could be an exciting new career for some of us - Internet Forensics! Investigating photoshop-fraud with computer science and knowledge of the JPEG format!

Hey, it could happen.

WildWeasel said:

This could be an exciting new career for some of us - Internet Forensics! Investigating photoshop-fraud with computer science and knowledge of the JPEG format!

Hey, it could happen.

LOL, I'll volunteer in a hearbeat. Stars like Britney Spears, Sarah Michelle Ghellar, and Jessica Simpson could hire me to investigate all those doctored naked photos of them floating all over the Internet.... of course I'd have to see the real thing for reference :)

.... hey, it could happen!! :-P