Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Wolf3d sprites > Doom 1/2 sprites

I have been working on modifying the Chaingun Commando sprites quite a bit lately and yesterday, I noticed something oddly familiar about the sprite I was working on.

It struck me that the front view frames of the Commando look like actually modified versions of the Wolf3d Hans Grosse sprites. There were several similarities - the way his jaw and chin was shaped, his thighs (where I discovered traces of the leg armour plates Hans Grosse wears), the angle one of his upper arms is sticking out at, the position of his chest plate.

Anyone noticed any Doom 1/2 sprites that could possibly be rewamped Wolf3d sprites?

Oh and if you mention the Blue SS guy, I'm gonna virtually smack you so hard that your jawbone makes a one-way trip to the Moon :-P

....wow...your right....How the Angel of Death walks reminds me a little bit of how Pinky walks.

I thought it was obvious that id recycled bits of art whenever possible. Don't you remember the wall texture that found its way into Wolf3D, Doom, AND Quake? Or what about this explosion from Hovertank 3D, look a little familiar?

dsm said:

I have been working on modifying the Chaingun Commando sprites quite a bit lately and yesterday, I noticed something oddly familiar about the sprite I was working on.

It struck me that the front view frames of the Commando look like actually modified versions of the Wolf3d Hans Grosse sprites. There were several similarities - the way his jaw and chin was shaped, his thighs (where I discovered traces of the leg armour plates Hans Grosse wears), the angle one of his upper arms is sticking out at, the position of his chest plate.[/b]

Heh, you didn't notice that till now? There are similarities between the Angel of Death and the Baron of Hell, though.

Yes the Angel does have Baron similarities, they probably got the idea of Baron's Plasma from the Angels energy balls.

All your posts were fascinating to read.
I have never payed such close attention to sprite detail before.
I've only payed close attention to the maps, the textures, the music, and the sound effects.
Sprites are just too hard and frustrating to work with, IMO.

Good observation. I hadn't noticed it before, but as soon as you mentioned it I could see what you meant. It's the armour plates on the legs that really give it away for me.

Linguica said:

I thought it was obvious that id recycled bits of art whenever possible. Don't you remember the wall texture that found its way into Wolf3D, Doom, AND Quake? Or what about this explosion from Hovertank 3D, look a little familiar?

Wall textures yes, character sprites, no.

The Doom sprites are a lot more detailed than your avarage Wolf3d sprite - it's possible that some of the Doom sprites were Wolf3d sprites once, but if so you can't really see it because they've been so heavily modified. The art style is sorta similar but that's no surprise given the fact that it's really the same artist(s) that worked on the sprites for both Wolf3d and Doom.

Hert Malker said:

Why won't Map05 of Hellcore work with ZDoom?

wrong thread you mong.

Erik said:

wrong thread you mong.

What did You expect after HIM? :)

On topic-I've also found Doom's fwater used in Q2 (like You don't know that)

Is that really the same texture or did they use the same method to create it? It's not an exact match but it's definitely in the same style.

And I was always wondering about Wolf 3d why id made the textures (Or at least that one wall above) correctly tile from the top and bottom and not just the left and right side of the texture when they were only going to be used for one floor.

They didn't. Look closely at the top and bottom and you'll see that it was edited between Wolfenstein 3D and Doom 2 to make it tile vertically.

Anyone noticed any Doom 1/2 sprites that could possibly be rewamped Wolf3d sprites?

Doomguy's face and wolfguy's face look very similar...

m0l0t0v said:

Doomguy's face and wolfguy's face look very similar...

Not similar enough.
Doomguy's face looks like it's been made from scratch - not like it's a modified sprite. There doesn't seem to be any similiarities in the pixel placements (for lack of a better phrase).

Nmn shown:
Doom Water Flat/ Q2 Water

I guess, that If you have just chosen a different frame for Doom's flat, they would match exactly. Remember, that Liquid flats in Doom aren't animated, they just scroll.

ellmo said:

I guess, that If you have just chosen a different frame for Doom's flat, they would match exactly. Remember, that Liquid flats in Doom aren't animated, they just scroll.

hush all you other guys , let this guy speak...

So, how do you know doom liquid flats scroll? can you prove this to me?

Inferno said:

Whats the difference?

a lot. doom's water flats are animated. they do not scroll. only source ports can allow you to scroll flats.