Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr.Doom

Music

Doom 3 music was downright awsome, the only problem I had was that they didn't import some of the PSX music. That music always blew me away (Including Doom Club):) In fact...I wish they did have something like Doom Club in this game. Don't get me wrong the music is still rock-solid. If they DID import the PSX music and made some improvements to it with the sound quality and maybe some guitar remixes then that would be cool...

WTF? Either im deaf, or crazy because i didnt hear ANY music in the game at all, except for when the invasion is first happening and you hear the thumping ambient techno drums

theres the title screen and all that (which is horrible) but i barely heard anything in the game...

There was a *tiny* bit of pulsing synth in Alpha Labs (a tension buildup), just after you pick up the chaingun and the zombies/zsecs/imps pour out to get you. But that's about it.

There's lots of music. It's very ambient and is more background sound-oriented, but music it is.

Can best be compared to the likes of Quake 1's music (except it's infinitely better).

Music was started by Reznor, then when he buggered off NINs ex-drummer took over; that's probably why.

Doom 3's ambient 'music' is incredible, easily ranking alongside PSX Doom, Quake 1 and Silent Hill imho...

DoomDan said:

For some odd reason the music in Doom 3 Reminds me alot of the Quake games.

Heh, there are some pieces that make me think about something from Quake 1, but the most notable is one that reminded me of a track from Doom 64 (Or the D64 TC at least).

Perhaps I remember that one particularly because it reminded me of a track from another Doom game and therefore it was extra appropriate.

how about when you first start hell. there is a kind of melody. its the same melody you hear later when you descend down a large elevater. when i heard that melody again i thought i was going back down to hell.

Spike said:

There was a *tiny* bit of pulsing synth in Alpha Labs (a tension buildup), just after you pick up the chaingun and the zombies/zsecs/imps pour out to get you. But that's about it.

Thats the only music from the actual game i can remember

I'm not much a fan of NIN at all, but I think Reznor woulda done a better job. That's just me. And yeah, they initially wanted him to do it but some sorta managment-type screw up kept that from happening. I hope he works on another game with ID cause the sounds/music of Quake 1 was by far my most favorite. I haven't found any of the ex-drummers work to be very enjoyable (his band and Alice are the only other things I've heard though he's done a few other games) - but it is good no doubt. All the 'distant' voices and such in Doom 3 really turned me off, WAAAY too cheesy IMO Reznor I think would've made things alot more abstract and interpratable.

Im not so sure but isnt there Music when you fight Vagary.Im not so sure since I though I heard music but my chaingun was too busy firing at the spider.

DoomDan said:

Im not so sure but isnt there Music when you fight Vagary.Im not so sure since I though I heard music but my chaingun was too busy firing at the spider.

No music that I know of.

I dont remember about the vagary fight in particular (too busy shooting), but there are a few places in the game where there is an obvious beat. For example, that one area where you get the chaingun laying on the ground after passing through those weird-looking red hallways (which spike mentioned). Another is near the reactor in the map where you first meet the lost souls (I may be thinking of the wrong place though).

DoomDan said:

I believe there's some creepy music during her 'intro' cutscene.

Airman266 said:

Does anyone else think the Vagary is a badass looking monster?

It kinda reminds me of he Arachnotron with its blue eyes, but no, not the kind of monster I consider 'badass'.

A badass monster would be the new HK - I fucking love the bastard. From his powerful body and slow, deliberate movement to its hellish facial features.

And his remarkable shoot me 4 times with the shotgun toughness?

I'm just fucking with you, I'm just pointing out the lack of balance here. And is it just me or did the HK next to a zombie in that one preview look bigger than the HK that throws the scientist after it comes out of the portal in Delta 4?

I didn't mean badass, I mean the Vagary looks badass.

Airman266 said:

I didn't mean badass, I mean the Vagary looks badass.

That's what I meant.
The Vagary looks like what you could expect of a woman-spider hybrid - the Hell Knight looks mean and tough and damn cool (personally, I think it makes the classic HK look like a wuss by comparison).

Now if only there had been a just-as-badass Baron of Hell with the good ol'fashioned goat look complete with horns, then the pattern would be complete.

It takes four shotgun blasts to kill the Vagary? That's strange - it takes forever to kill her with the chaingun.

footman said:

I think he's talking about the HellKnight. You can take one down in four shotgun blasts.

Ah, because I just tried slamming the Vagary with the shotgun and it definitely took more than a meagre 4 shots.

I wouldn't call it "lack of balance" - in fact, I think it's been very well planned. The HK has a very high resistance towards heat-based weaponry (like pretty much every other demon), but it doesn't have much in terms of "physical" armour that protects it against solid projectiles, so it's vulnerable against the lower tech weapons.

Considering when and where you face the HK, it's a good thing that he goes down quickly when you use the shotgun (otherwise non-hardcore players would have an unnecessarily big amount of trouble with him when you're in Hell and encounter one while only equipped with a shotgun and a pistol).

Whereas taking down TWO Vagaries + Trites in the Excavation Site is an absolute nightmare.

Spike said:

Whereas taking down TWO Vagaries + Trites in the Excavation Site is an absolute nightmare.

Not all (unless you're talking about shotgunning them) - just soul cube the first and BFG the crap out of the second...or BFG the shit out of them both if the soul cube for some retarded reason goes after a Trite.

That place has all the room that the first Vagary fight didn't have, so it's fairly easy to dodge incoming telekinesified objects - just back away and keep a fair distance.

Heck, I'm sure you could even hit them with rockets and get away with only minor scratches (haven't tried that yet, because I always feel extremely vengeful at Vagaries because of the first damn annoying fight, so I'd rather kill them quick than have to risk taking another beating).

dsm said:

Heck, I'm sure you could even hit them with rockets and get away with only minor scratches (haven't tried that yet, because I always feel extremely vengeful at Vagaries because of the first damn annoying fight, so I'd rather kill them quick than have to risk taking another beating).

Heh, same feeling here.