Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jello

Bioshock

I just went over to the system shock 2 website and I found out about a little game in development called bioshock.

http://www.sshock2.com/bioshock/

Apparently a number of people who worked on system shock 2 are working on it, and it's supposedly a 'spiritual successor' to SS 2. Not sure if this has been posted before, I did a search but nothing came up. I know a number of people on these forums have expressed fond feelings for system shock 2, so I'd imagine they'd be interested in this as well.

Personally I think it looks pretty cool, especially the concept art, with the centipede/soldier thing, and the cobwebbed lab.

Now this is a surprise! Just like System Shock 2 was a surprise to me way back when. I can only hope that it'll still be fun, and that they don't bring back that stupid Nanite system (or at the very least, give us MORE nanites to work with)! That was my only gripe with SS2. Otherwise, it's a great game.

Looks like good stuff.

Not liking the idea of evolutionary limitations to the player, though. That was one of my peeves with SS2. Weapon skill should have been more about accuracy, and modification should have given a bit more range to what you could do with your weapons. Modding community should have been bigger, too, so we'd have some new environments to play in. :P

Hopefully they make more stuff about this game modifiable.

They only came up with the idea for this game because there were people in the doom3 community keen on doing a system shock mod, which they were later told they couldn't do, due to the obvious reasons. On the plus side this will probably be alot better than whatever the D3 System Shock mod team could've come up with.

m0l0t0v said:

The artwork on that site looks pretty amateurish... I hope they will improve it for the actual game.

CONCEPT art. There's a long refinement process ahead.

I kinda agree, though: What's that funny looking guy doing with a big slug on his head? The mutations shouldn't be so overstated, or if the organism is a parasite on a human, it should still be more subtle.

WildWeasel said:

stupid Nanite system (or at the very least, give us MORE nanites to work with)! That was my only gripe with SS2. Otherwise, it's a great game.

Oh boy...c'mon, I mean you DO realize that nanites are basicly infinite. You'd have to kill a ton of zombies...but. I guess I never really had a problem with it, lack of funds forces you to make tough choices within the game. And that is reason # 354623 that SS2 is one the best games ever.

Quast said:

Oh boy...c'mon, I mean you DO realize that nanites are basicly infinite. You'd have to kill a ton of zombies...but. I guess I never really had a problem with it, lack of funds forces you to make tough choices within the game. And that is reason # 354623 that SS2 is one the best games ever.

SS2 should have been more like Metroid, with more sequence breaking by skilled players. Of course, there are some things you can do out of order, but the storyline will always play out the same no matter what.

BIG MODDING COMMUNITY FOR THIS ONE PLZ

Ultraviolet said:

Of course, there are some things you can do out of order, but the storyline will always play out the same no matter what.

once you get to deck 4 anyway...yeah, you can kind of do what you want and when (sim units and the recreation deck). Yet it all plays out the same. But that bit of freedom adds substantialy to the game. Primarily because most games lack this.

Quast said:

once you get to deck 4 anyway...yeah, you can kind of do what you want and when (sim units and the recreation deck). Yet it all plays out the same. But that bit of freedom adds substantialy to the game. Primarily because most games lack this.

After the second play through that element isn't all that special. It's no Metroid!

I should clarify that I do really love SS2.

m0l0t0v said:
The artwork on that site looks pretty amateurish... I hope they will improve it for the actual game.

Ultraviolet said:
CONCEPT art. There's a long refinement process ahead.

That's REALLY OLD concept art from when the game was still set in an underground Nazi bunker instead of the underwater city of rapture.

Yeah I saw this game in a game informer a few months ago. I think it's comming out on 360 as well, PS3 too if I'm not mistaken.

I don't believe a PS3 port has been announced. Oh well-- I intended to get it for the PC anyway, and hopefully get some use out of my DX10 card (which may already be obsolete).

Well, the demo is great. I was amazed to see that my 8600GTS can barely handle the game. Maybe some tweaking is in order. Anyway, the game comes out tomorrow and I'll be getting it. You can download the demo now from Fileshack or some other random download service... or even Steam if the 1MB/s down speeds aren't too EVIL and FASCIST for you.

Actually I known about this game for a while. Why? My friend wouldn't stop fucking bugging me about it (and he still is.). I played the demo on his 360 though and it was pretty fun.

Outstanding reviews! Currently a 97.1% on gamerankings. The top game on the site is Zelda OoT with 97.7%, next highest is Soul Calibur's 96.4%.

Everyone's going gaga about this game. Props to DW for hearing about it 3 years earlier.

It's simplized and abuses little children as a horror element too predictably :{

Playing System Shock 2 right after it still blows it away in fun and execution. Doesn't quite live up to its hype

I think System Shock 2 sucks badly. Boring as hell and overly touted as something to be worth playing. I felt bad wasting my time on it though

Downloaded the 1.84gb demo last night. its like if you were really sick and had a high fever and was on some heavey medication, then you pretty much played this game before.

The game isnt that bad. I honestly dont see the big hype as in whats so different about it. Its like any other FPS to me. I became sceptical about playing new FPS games after playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R., which sucked imo....