Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Holy Flurking Shnit

combined time for map15 and map31 in this demo is 1:09. map15 speed record is 1:22. you could probably get a little faster with a full load of weapons, but it's a much harder run than 15+31, so this is probably the optimal route.

btw, my favourite part of this run was map14, which absolutely does not go perfectly to plan :). Running into the key room with 3% health...fun stuff.

It's a real shame it took him three goes to take out the icon of sin though. Last speed run on NM I watched he did it in one trip up the platform, can't remember the fellows name right now though. That and the blue key door in map 13. Still even with those minor mistakes, this is an amazing speed run. I love the way he got through monster condo, what with the little arch vile trick. Kudos to you good sir, and I look forward to an under 30 minute run in the future.

DOOM Anomaly said:

When I run prboom my screen goes dark and says "VGA not support". :(

try to run it with "-width 640 -height 400" in addition to your normal parameters.

@jello: doing it in one go is pretty tricky, when you're just playing map30 over and over you get in one in maybe 5 or 10 tries...when you're not focussing on it like this i'd say 1 in 20 or 1 in 30 is the chance. Getting it in two goes is quite easy, though.

adamh: update? ;)

compet-n demos are *always* recorded in the original .exe, version 1.9. this means they will play back with the original for sure; 99% of the time they'll also play back with prboom and eternity.

Erik said:

try to run it with "-width 640 -height 400" in addition to your normal parameters.

No luck. :(

Edit: Oop, it is okay now, I got it running with Eternity. :D

I can't get it to run. Doom2.exe claims "game mode indeterminate." I've also tried running it in Legacy, but it goes out of sync almost immediately; as he runs down the south hallway he gets blocked by a zombieman and ends up turning back around.

EDIT: Bah, might be nice if I put the IWAD in the right place though. *shot*

...only now it insists that the demo file "can't be found"...

netnomad: if you have doom2.exe and doom2.wad in the same directory, you play the demo as:
doom2 -playdemo 30nm2956
(without .lmp)

Goes out of sync in map02 for me...I've tried prboom and eternity.

TGB said:

Goes out of sync in map02 for me...I've tried prboom and eternity.

you have an old version iwad most likely.

killingblair said:

I mean what engine did he do this in?

I think they have to do it with the plain old doom2.exe

Finally got it working. It froze at the ten-minute mark when my damn screensaver tried to play. Damn... he'd just gotten to level 15 at the time.

The amount of time you'd have to spend to perfect such a run... holy crap. Once again I'm reminded that there are people out there with less of a life than me...

netnomad312 said:

Once again I'm reminded that there are people out there with less of a life than me...

A rather dangerous assumption... I just play the game, I don't make maps for it. :)

netnomad312 said:

Once again I'm reminded that there are people out there with less of a life than me...

So, doing what it takes to be among the very best at something means that you don't have a life. I'm sure glad I don't have that perspective. I'd surely be a loser at everything I tried to half-ass do.

--BahdKo
(has a life and also plays doom).

What I was saying, was, this had to have taken an incredibly long time to perfect. Every shortcut-use was obviously planned out beforehand, for instance...

*makes mental note that people here can take things too seriously*

Meh, I was just playing around. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. :o

I'm done uploading them for the time being, since any new 30nms would probably be met with less enthusiasm and more jokes about flooding /incoming. ;)

I'll keep trying off and on though, since there were certain aspects of the new record that bugged me... I probably won't be able to get the run I truly want but I'll at least try.

netnomad312 said:

What I was saying, was, this had to have taken an incredibly long time to perfect. Every shortcut-use was obviously planned out beforehand, for instance...

then you might next time make sure that what you write approximately matches what you mean.

netnomad312 said:

*makes mental note that people here can take things too seriously*

Umm, but no. What you *said* (as opposed with what you evidently meant) sucked ass. I wasn't the only one pissed off about it, either.