Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MagnuM

Tagging

How can i make an item (key) appear after a certain enemy is killed?
How can i make the player exit the level after a certain enemy is killed?

Please specify which source port. Those with scripting capabilities can do it, those without can't (including Doom2.exe)

Graf Zahl said:

Please specify which source port. Those with scripting capabilities can do it, those without can't (including Doom2.exe)

my bad...SKULLTAG!!

In that case you will find the most comprehensive answers on the ZDoom forum and of course here:

http://www.zdoom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Since all ZDoom stuff also applies to Skulltag it is the best way to go.

The quick answer to your problem is to use the action special that is associated with each thing in the ZDoom/Hexen map format. You can set this to either end the level, spawn an item or start a script that can more complicated stuff.

i can't get the thing special to work.
what i want to be able to do is to kill one imp and it spawns a key when it dies. the thing in the zdoom stuff doesn't really explain how to do this.

Give the imp a tid and a thing spawn special. In the parameters for the special, specify the item you want it to spawn (the spawn number for the key you want to spawn) and the tid of the object you want it to appear at. Make this the same as the tid that you gave the imp and the key will appear wherever the imp is when it dies.

Enjay said:

Give the imp a tid and a thing spawn special. In the parameters for the special, specify the item you want it to spawn (the spawn number for the key you want to spawn) and the tid of the object you want it to appear at. Make this the same as the tid that you gave the imp and the key will appear wherever the imp is when it dies.

No, it won't! Thing_Spawn doesn't spawn anything inside solid objects (including dying monsters.) You have to use a script to delay the spawn for a little time. Otherwise you may create a new imp that spawns the key with DECORATE:

Actor KeyImp : DoomImp 10000
{
    DropItem BlueCard //(or whatever key you need)
}

Graf Zahl said:

No, it won't! Thing_Spawn doesn't spawn anything inside solid objects (including dying monsters.) You have to use a script to delay the spawn for a little time.

It's not often you are wrong with this kind of stuff, but at least as far as keys and many other pick ups are concerned, you are wrong with this one. I've used the technique loads of times. Most of the enemies in my marine assault dropped something and a great deal of them did it by using this process.

Try the following file. The zombie on the left will "drop" a blue key (and there will be a teleport flash). The zombie on the right will "drop" a yellow key. This is achieved using thing_spawn and thing_spawnnofog, and nothing else. No scripts, no dehacked, just thing specials and tids.

http://www.btinternet.com/~Enjay001/temp/keys.zip

Can't comment on the decorate monsters observation though. Never tried it.

WARNING! : This works in ZDoom only...

Do like this to make you win after a enemy is killed:

1. Click the Effecs tab on the enemy
2. Type 243 in the special box
3. Test