Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CacoMarine

Doom references in other games

Currently I know of just one:

In Duke Nukem 3D, when in "Death Row" there's a secret tomb which contains "our hero" dead. Duke just says: "Hmmm...that's one Doom's space marine".

What I find hilarious is that in Memento Mori 2, level 4 "Ratamahatta" there's a gravestone which reads "Duck Nukem". *wirn*
And also there's a reference in the text file of "Duck Nukem who seemed to be just all talk..."

Do you know of any other games that have even slightest references to Doom (apart from id's own games of course)?

Im sure I have seen a reference to doom in other games, but I cant really remember so I will have to think about it and try to remember.

*MasterOFDeath scratches his head thinking.

While I'm sure there's plenty of well known ones (I just forgot all of them right now :P), I do know a somewhat obscure one. In the game Virtual Springfield, there's a mini game in the Kwik-E-Mart when you click on the keys behind the counter. It's basically a little FPS shooter except you're just lookin at a static screen with Jimbo, Kerney, and the other kid just animating walking toward you, but it's complete with the Doom status bar and apparantly Doom guy's shotgun with Apu's hands.

I remember in Hozehounds (Disney channel cartoon) They had a game "Duke devastation" It basically made fun of every thing duke, especially the repeating dj voice. "freaking lizards" That was a laugh riot. You had to see it to know.

If you play with the Chainsaw mutator in Unreal Tournament (original version), the thing makes the exact same sound as the one in Doom. I think it's even the same model chainsaw - the Eager Beaver.

In Soldier of Fortune 2, there's a pc monitor on the boat (I forget the name of the level) with the title screen for Doom 1.

In Daikatana, the music in the crematorium lobby is E1M1 in reverse.

And out of curiousity, I checked IMDB, but I'm not sure if that's all correct, or what specifically is being referenced.

Hehe. I'm sure we had this discussion a while ago. I never found any other references to Doom in any other games apart from what was mentioned above. I DID find a rather funny reference to Duke 3D in Blood. Funny as hell. Something along the lines of "Ooh, shake it baby" whenever yo 'use' his body.

WildWeasel said:

If you play with the Chainsaw mutator in Unreal Tournament (original version), the thing makes the exact same sound as the one in Doom. I think it's even the same model chainsaw - the Eager Beaver.

The pickup message for the chainsaw is also something like "Hmmm, haven't seen one these for 10 years." I think that's a fairly clear Doom reference.

The blood alpha has one or two doom graphics (a marine, a demon, and a cacodemon) a computer in SIN had a game called 'Gloom', Quake II had a doom poster hidden in the palace near the end of the game.

Enjay said:
The pickup message for the chainsaw is also something like "Hmmm, haven't seen one these for 10 years." I think that's a fairly clear Doom reference.

"A chainsaw? I haven't seen one of these in 5 years!" this was around 1998.

Captain Red said:

"A chainsaw? I haven't seen one of these in 5 years!" this was around 1998.

I stand corrected. :-)

Captain Red said:

a computer in SIN had a game called 'Gloom',

Gloom is a Wolfenstein-like engine game for Amiga, developped by Black Magic Software. The only similairities with Doom was
-it was a FPP
-You had to battle demons in hell
-You were a spece marine
-the title

I'm pretty sure Jazz Jackrabbit 2 had a Doom reference in it somewhere (something in the menus, I think)... I forget exactly what, maybe I should reinstall it and check. Also, as I recall, Jazz' gun is called the LFG-2000 (Little Fucking Gun? Large Fucking Gun? I don't know)

Earlier versions of Tapan Kaikki had a shotgun sound effect that sounded just like Doom's. On the end credits there was a line that said "Sound effects: Not from Doom". In the newest version they changed most of the sounds, so this no longer stands.

In Heretic, if you type "IDDQD" it kills you, and if you type "IDKFA" it takes away weapons.

There was a game for ZZT where at one point you go to hell, and there's an arcade machine which it says plays Doom on Nightmare mode endlessly. If you try to use it, it said something along the lines of "You don't want to play Doom in Nightmare mode, that's insane!". I forget what the game was called though.

In Terminal Velocity, one of the planets is Tei Tenga. Ok, so maybe this doesn't count as a strict Doom reference, but it's a Doom Bible reference anyways.

I'm sure I've seen various other references/parodies to BFG/Big Fucking Gun, but I can't recall specific ones offhand.

Edit: Oh yeah! I remember what the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 reference was, there was a graphic that parodied the Doom 2 title screen, with Jazz in place of the marine and a turtle-cyberdemon.

In Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, if you type in IDDQD a window comes up with the production team (of Pitfall) and it says in the window "Wrong game, buddy!" or something along those lines.

Also, not a game but in one scene of the movie "Grosse Point Blank" a kid's playing a Doom 2 arcade machine.

Draconio said:

I'm sure I've seen various other references/parodies to BFG/Big Fucking Gun, but I can't recall specific ones offhand.

This may not be one but in mission 2 of Dark Forces the weapon you're supposed to find looks a little like the BFG, and Jan comments 'It's so big no human would be able to use it' Sure it's a Dark Trooper weapon but I always thought it looked strikingly like the BFG from the side...

Also, I vaguely remember in MechWarrior 2 you can scan buildings for their contents, and one of them revealed a 'BFG 9000'.

An obvious one would be the ancient relics found in Doom3 of the main titlescreen for doom 1 and/or "Super Turbo Turkey Puncher".. But yeah, everyone knew that already. :P

in the movie The Net there is a reference to Wolfenstein (actually, sandra bullock's character was playing it sometime in the begining).

in Mechwarrior II if you enter IDKFA (or maybe its just IDFA) in as a cheat code (holding ctrl + shift + alt) you would self destruct, eject, and a message would pop up saying "This aint Doom bub".

and yes, there was a reference to doom in jazz jackrabit (that game was awesome)

The cheat code 'IDDQD' makes you die in Heretic and 'IDKFA' makes you lose all your weapons.
EDIT: Sorry, didn't see that someone already posted this.

The only problem with that is that IIRC SS1 came out before Doom 2 :).

Anyway, in one of the levels of the PS2 game Primal, there's a texture which is clearly the lion head of Doom's SW1LION.

I also vaguely recall a couple of Doom references in Simon the Sorcerer 2, but I'm afraid I can't remember the details.

TheDarkArchon said:

In Q3R for the PS2, one of the levels had a small version of the old Icon of Sin texture

Same with the one for Dreamcast.

Inferno said:

Same with the one for Dreamcast.

Same with the one for PC.

iD software does sometimes tend to reuse parts of old textures in newer textures. Not like it's a huge problem, though. It's their art.

insertwackynamehere said:

Heh Halflife always reminded of Doom what with the scientists, and the portal to another dimension, and the evil leaking through, and eventually ending up in that dimension.

Don't forget Quake and, to a lesser extent, Quake II.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

There's a secret in the palace section of Quake 2, with a Doom poster and an ancient head (which I think is Romero's).

I can't remember about the poster, but the head was John Carmacks.