Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SteelPH

Doom 3 mission pack announced

I hope they learn from what i feel were pretty big mistakes in the original, and also that they do more outdoors stuff

I agree with Dsm and cliffs rules

I really liked the presentation of a lot of the maps in doom3. It's obvious that the mappers at id have a lot of talent and they definitly know how to make the maps moody and atmospheric and whatnot. I just hope for this expansion they try to insert some more variety in both the type of levels as well as the combat. I got so fucking sick and tired of every enemy in the game trying to ambush and surprise me. And I really didn't care for how a lot of the monsters don't even appear until you walk into an area and trigger them. Too much scripting. Way way way too much scripting.
Also the doom 3 shotgun is total bullshit, the spead is far too fucking large. You're lucky if any pellets hit your target at medium range. Yeah yeah, there's the maching gun, but they shouldn't purposely cripple the most important weapon in the game. Stupid shit, pisses me off.

He's right, Quake 2 weapons are essentially DooM 2 weapons.

I don't really feel a railgun fits in the doom universe though.

Unless the expansion pack includes a significantly higher proportion of large, open areas than cramped, short corridors, a railgun would be pretty much useless most of the time anyway.

Now a flamethrower would be interesting, if only because none of the Dooms or Quakes have included one.

Linguica said:

WRONG you get it on Map02

I wasn't talking about Doom 2 smart boy - I wasn't as much as implying any Doom 2 connection, so your comment was pretty much out of place.

In case you haven't figured out by now, I was voicing my opinion on when in a game you should get the db. You got it way too early in Doom 2 for my tastes (map02 as you so cleverly mentioned).

dsm said:

I wasn't talking about Doom 2 smart boy - I wasn't as much as implying any Doom 2 connection, so your comment was pretty much out of place.

In case you haven't figured out by now, I was voicing my opinion on when in a game you should get the db. You got it way too early in Doom 2 for my tastes (map02 as you so cleverly mentioned).

Heh, and the Rocket Launcher in map01? Can't forget that. You have to wonder exactly what Id was thinking when they made three-fourths of Doom 2. It was good but so many things were out of place in it.

DoomDan said:

How about a Grenade Launcher.I think that would fit well with the Doom Universe.

Ugh, how about something a bit more interesting than grenades (like a railgun :-P)? We already have hand grenades - isn't that enough?

dsm said:

We already have hand grenades - isn't that enough?

But what if they were flung from a sling shot?

dsm said:

Ugh, how about something a bit more interesting than grenades...

Nailgun? :P

Snarboo said:

But what if they were flung from a sling shot?

Wouldn't change the nature of the weapon enough to be exciting and new - a grenade launcher still flings grenades in an arch that bounce off surfaces and explode when they hit something (formerly) alive - exactly like the handgrenades.

Only difference is that with hgrens you have full control over how much power you can put into the throw with the added (interesting) risk of it blowing up in your face if you hold it too long, while the grenlauncher has a set amount of throwing power.

I'd rather want some kinda mines (that do something special other than exploding - we already have TWO exploding weapons, not counting the BFG) or an all-new energy weapon.

Anything that uses bullets, slugs or shells is old news or un-interesting. We need something that works in a special way. I'm all for raw electricity as long as it's not another lightning gun.

Exacto Knife, Flying CDs, Throwing Barrels/Chairs/Heads/ect...

Probably wouldn't do much damage, but would be fun anyways.

How about a laser type gun, that slices enemies up like butter. I long for Immortal-style deaths. Like slicing someone from the top of their head down to their crotch, then watch the two halfs roll away from each other, guts falling out accordingly!!!

More news concerning the expansion pack courtesy of the Adrenaline Vault:
Resurrection of Evil

It looks like the double barrel shotgun is making a comeback, along with some other new weapons, and from the sounds of the storyline, it might just take place on Earth, although it might not. All I can say is WOOT!

Shaviro said:

Best thing to happen since Doom3 came out >:D

Hm, I'd wait with that statement until it's announced that it's a retelling (or part of) of Doom 2.

I'm too worried about letdowns (like the location being on yet another space station) to be excited just yet.

Well now you know:

ANTA MONICA, Calif., Oct. 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- id Software(TM) and Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI - News) will unleash an all-new assault on humanity with DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil(TM), the official expansion pack to the fastest selling PC first- person action game ever in the U.S., according to NPD Techworld. Co-developed by Nerve Software and id Software, DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil continues the terrifying and intense action of the already classic DOOM 3, which Maxim and Computer Gaming World awarded "five out of five stars" and the Associated Press called "one of the scariest games ever made." Through the discovery of a timeless and evil artifact you now hold the powers of Hell in your hands, and the demons have come to hunt you down and take it back. Following the events of DOOM 3 and featuring new locations, characters and weapons, including the return of the double-barreled shotgun, DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil expands the terrifying action that fans and critics have been raving about. The title will require the full retail version of DOOM 3, and has not yet been rated by the ESRB.

"DOOM 3 defines first-person cinematic action, and the expansion pack continues right where we left off -- with a terrifying atmosphere, a new story and one of the most classic weapons ever, the double-barreled shotgun," states Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. "Now that fans have survived the horrors and edge of your seat action of the original, DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil delivers players deeper into the heart of the UAC to uncover new secrets and technology used to destroy the demon force that's Hell-bent on destroying you."

"Through the discovery of a timeless evil artifact, you hold the powers of Hell in your hands, and the demons have come to take it back."

I hope they're not talking about the Soul Cube because 1. It's buried under several tons of rock or it's found it's way back to hell. 2. It was not an evil artifact, but a very good and righteous one.

Jomero said:

"Through the discovery of a timeless evil artifact, you hold the powers of Hell in your hands, and the demons have come to take it back."

I hope they're not talking about the Soul Cube because 1. It's buried under several tons of rock or it's found it's way back to hell. 2. It was not an evil artifact, but a very good and righteous one.

Unless it's a plot twist where it turns out that the SC was just a tool of Hell, or it became one. I don't hope it is though - I want this to be a truly satanic object.

I'm just curious how the mission pack goes from the ending with the marine recovered by the rescue team to him suddenly possessing this "evil artifact". Oh and the story and dialogue had better not be shittier than in Doom 3 - it'd sting my eyes enough to piss me off.

Maybe it'll be like the Quake 2 and Half-life mission packs, and you play some other character.

Lets hope spidermastermind makes an appearance, can't let that concept art go to waste now can we. :D

Wow, GameSpot totally gayed the storyline up...

GameSpot said:

Called Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil, the expansion is (unsurprisingly) set after the events of Doom 3, when the space marine uncovers an ancient and evil artifact in the depths of hell. Unluckily for him, the denizens of Hades want their malevolent knickknack back...

Lectrix said:

Lets hope spidermastermind makes an appearance, can't let that concept art go to waste now can we. :D

I would've considered that to be an absolute certainty, but then, before release I considered it an absolute certainty that the ssg would be in Doom 3 and it wasn't.

Soo...ditto.

Could it be that the stuff missing from Doom3 (SSG, Spider Mastermind, Birdman/Baron, etc) were deliberatly held back for the mission pack?