Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jehar

really stupid monster question

this is gonna get me a load of flames... but is there any realy limit to the height of monster frames or monsters themselves? I am thinking of making a cthulu-sized big big BIG dude. would this be even feasably possible?

There is a limit in vanialla doom that some ports will have removed. I'm not sure what the limit is, but its around 128. The cyberdemon has a frame or two over 128, and that's it.

In Zdoom, however, the limit is much, much bigger. As big as most people are ever likely to need. Can't remember what it is, but it's big.

Very interesting Idea Jehar. I read your other post too and been thinking how such a thing could be done. HPL fan and would love to see the idea taken further than Quake did. Afraid my talents are quite limited.

I would try making Cthulu as a set of 3 replacement textures from the final boss map. He wouldn't be animated that way, and I don't know if it's possible to animate textures that size. From a distance though, one or two animated tentacle textures on each side would give life to such an image maybe.(?)

Hope you can find a way as I'd like to see it. :)

thanks for your kind words, and I have been considering using multiple sprites. Keep in mind this is not the Big Guy per se, it is a very large ancient god.

This project did not start out as a lovecraftian-style wad, but over time things just got integrated.
Because of this, the first few areas are just classic shooting, but i promise new kinds of areas with very high quality, IMHO.

But after this project (and after one witch will be veiled in secrecy for now, heh heh.) I will do a prequel that will be VERY lovecraftian. very very. as in very little combat and a load of reading to do, set in a mansion or something.

so stay tuned for the mediocre Jehars rise to success...

The prequal you described for your current project really reminds me of a Cthulhu-based wad that I played for Doom 2 ages back, Jehar. I can't remember where I found it though, but it had very little combat, because you only had a few weapons, the rest of which were replaced by text documents you could pick up, and you couldn't kill Cthulhu with any of the weapons you did have. You had to use a trick to kill him if I remember correctly. I'll try and see if I can find it again, if you're interested.

yeah i would like to see what others have done on the subject. my god will be killed by nodes on top of five skyscrapers (full scale) that make beams in a pentagram, trapping him and then boom.

Just so you know, Jehar, I might not be able to find that Cthulhu wad. I can't for the life of me remember where I found it or what it was called, but I know I played it. I'll keep looking, but please don't be disappointed if I can't find it.