Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Unconscious

Zdoom- teleporting monsters.

How can I make it so when I cross a line, monsters teleport infront of me? I know it includes teleporters, and the monsters *have to see you*, but I don't want to be able to see them....

How is this possible? can someone give me a tutorial on how to do it?

*= Not sure.

1. make a room that's not connected to the rest of the map. Sector has to have a sector number as some other sector in the map, that "heard" the player shooting (this will wake up the monsters). [edit] If you don't understand what I mean have a look at the WAD I linked below. There's a Cyberdemon in an enclosed part of the map, but when you shoot it wakes up.

2. put enemies in there. surround that sector with another sector, which ceiling height is the same as the floor height (or at least that low that the monsters can't pass below it.

3. set the inner sector's walls to the teleport special and use this to teleport them infront of the player

4. set the line the player crosses to raise the "monster sector" outer sector, so that the monsters can cross the teleport line

If you're using a Boom compatible port you can make it a bit more elegant, like this: http://paci-fist.org/~boris/exwads/teletrap.wad

Seeing as how the question specifically mentions Zdoom, scripting them would be even more elegant, or using something like group teleport, teleport all in sector etc.

I'm describing how to do so if you're using WadAuthor, but I have this suspicion that you're using DoomBuilder (which I haven't touched...yet), so I don't know if it's going to be much of help...

If you want to make a monster "appear" after crossing a line, you have to add a map spot, which is found under the "Special" class in Map Object Properties, to the spot on the map where you want the monster to be. You then give that map spot a tag (in this case, let's give it tag 1).

After creating the line that will trigger the map spot, open up the Map Object Properties box again (right-click object > properties) and select "Thing" for the class. Look for "Thing_Spawn" or "Thing_SpawnNoFog" in the list below and put the same tag number the map spot has in the first box. The second box will contain the thing ID. I'll say 20, which will spawn a revenant. You can get a reference file that contains all the thing ID's from somewhere, but I'm not going to bother finding out. The third box will specify the angle of the monster, which is either 0, 64, 128, or 192.

Thing_SpawnNoFog (10, 20, 0) would spawn a revenant facing east where the map thing is with no teleport haze.

hmm, Ok screw that idea.... Is there anyway to do it so you enter a room, you can't see the REVENANT, and then it teleports to like infront of you?

Unconscious said:

I meant screw that idea, because the scripts are too hard to do...

It's all found under the object properties. You don't need to make a script to perform such an action.

Bah, Alright... I'll have a look to see if ADE or WadAHolics can do it for me... I seem to be working on this project on my own.

Unconscious said:

Bah, Alright... I'll have a look to see if ADE or WadAHolics can do it for me... I seem to be working on this project on my own.

Did you look at the WAD I posted? It's easy as pie.

You can use a script to spawn the monsters
like this:

1. Create a mapspot where you want the thing
to spawn and give it a new Thing ID number.

2. Open your script editor and type

script <a new script number> (void)
{
Thing_Spawn (<thing id of mapspot>, <type# of thing to spawn>, <angle that it will look in>);
}

3. On the line that you will walk over, enter the fillowing:

Line Special: 80
Argument1: <the script number>
Argument2: <The map number>

4. now test your new monsterspawner, you can add more mapspots and more lines in the script

Creating a script for such a "one liner" is rather stupid, since you can set one action to the activating line. Of course that doesn't work with all specials.

My little bro can do that teleporting monster thing. (in his currently unfinished and probably will never be finished project)