How do you spend your money?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How do you spend your money?

• I get what I need and maybe the occasional thing for me
    • I spend money all the time to the point of financial ruin
    • I spend quite a lot of money on what I enjoy
    • I am so cheap I`d give a stripper $1 and ask for change
    • I am unemployed

If I blow my money I'll be living in a box on the street. Not one of those fancy corrugated ones either.

I spend a good deal of money, but I know when to quit. Certainly not to the point of financial ruin, or even financial stress, but I don't constantly hold on to every penny either.

This all changes when I get a girlfriend and I become the poorest bastard on the earth regularly.

I get only what I need along with the occasional unnecessary purchase. If I buy something that's fairly expensive and a bit superfluous, I feel kind of guilty about it.

eBay caused some financial nightmares, but I think i've got the hang of it. Play.com on the other hand... argh

So am I ever going to get my change Capt Red?

I tend to be a impulse buyer, so I end up buying some pretty useless junk. Im mostly ok with spending and have never got myself into trouble.

I go to the arcade almost every Friday to spend 6$ and 13$ for a haircut every month and a half. When there's a good game that's been released I buy it and I go a few times to the restaurant. That about 95% of what I spend in a year. So I answered #1.

I am extremely poor usually. Currently I have no planned income at all until after christmas and I have ~$600 on by bank account (my life-sustaining expenses are around $350 per month). When I have money though, I usually spend it quite fast on useless things like shoes/clothes/food/alcohol.

I'm doing fine economically. I get 6900 SEK (about 950 USD according to xe.com) in study assistance per month (over 5000 of which I'll eventually have to pay back, though). 2600 goes to rent, an additional 2000 to electricity, broadband Internet, commutation fees, food, etc. I spend most of what's left on literature.

I have very little spare cash atm as I'm starting my postgrad studies and financing them myself with my parents helping. So any money I earn for now will just go towards that. When I'm better off I do usually save anyway, but every now and then the money burns a hole in my pocket and I go on ebay and get something I like. Everyone has one or two things they have to have, for me it was the limited edition star trek TNG boxset when it came out. All 7 seasons. Expensive? Hell yes, but I never regret it. Whats the point of money if you can't have some treats in your life sometimes. The trick is knowing where to draw the line.

I'm unemployed, but I don't typically spend a lot of money, even on necessities. I've had mostly the same outfits for about 6 or 7 years, haven't had a haircut in nearly 4 years, still use the PC I assembled over 4 years ago (it was fine back then and my computing activies haven't changed much since). The most recent console I have is SegaCD and a TV stand full of games for it. I'm 1 of 3 people in my state that doesn't have a DVD player, which is fine since my portable 12" TV/VCR combo wouldn't even support one.

I've been buying a lot of expensive stuff the last few months, due to the fact that it's my first time out of the house and these are the things I'll be taking with me wherever I go for many years to come (microwave, toaster, cabinets, bed, couch, etc.).

Aside from that, my one splurging weakness is CDs. Ebay and mailorders dent my bank account more than any other hobby of mine. When I'm not buying my own, I'm ripping them from friends and libraries. I've managed to register at two giant libraries out here, which is proving to be double trouble as far as my productive time management goes :P Although, it's kind of necessary since people don't take care of library materials and I've often had to compile working rips by checking out multiple copies of the same disc from multiple sources. There's just no respect for audio assimilators these days.

Anyway, I voted unemployed but option 1 is the most applicable in either situation.

I think I'm doing alright. I have two bank accounts, one soley for saving cash (my oh shit fund) and my main account that I use for bills and entertainment.

My goal is to get 1000 in my oh shit fund, and then maintain a steady 1k in my bills and entertainment fund. But that probably won't materialize until after christmas sometime.

Lately I've been really bad about eating out. I have groceries at home I should be eating but I choose to eat out, which kills your funds faster than anything IMO.

I have 4 things I have to pay for everymonth and they include
Rent 275
Electric 40
Cell Phone 30
Cable Internet 40

And then gas and food whenever I need it I guess.

zombieribcage said:

i usually buy DVDs when i have money

That's another thing, if I get a DVD player I know I'm never going to cease buying DVDs. I'm a sucker for any kind of special editions or import discs and I'd probably end up buying a load of movies I didn't even like just to have all the extras. Case in point, I've even considered buying Matrix DVDs O_o

I'm kind of a stingy asshole. I make $13 an hour...that nets me $800-850 paychecks every other week...yet I still download all my movies and games. I never buy shit unless I absolutly need it

I've been living in abject poverty for the past year. I had about a hundred DVD's and near a thousand pounds worth of NIN memorbilia. All gone, sold to support myself during my long period of lazyness.

Good news is now I'm back earning money, I can easily live without the pointless reams of crap I used to be obsessed with. I've ditched the TV and the DVD player and once I get myself a few new T-shirts and a few bits and bobs for the PC I can pretty much sit back and watch the money pile up.

Only thing I'm really planning on buying is a cheap guitar for me to ham around on.

darknation said:

I've been living in abject poverty for the past year. I had about a hundred DVD's and near a thousand pounds worth of NIN memorbilia. All gone, sold to support myself during my long period of lazyness.

Good news is now I'm back earning money, I can easily live without the pointless reams of crap I used to be obsessed with. I've ditched the TV and the DVD player and once I get myself a few new T-shirts and a few bits and bobs for the PC I can pretty much sit back and watch the money pile up.

Only thing I'm really planning on buying is a cheap guitar for me to ham around on.

what do you do for the all that money that$ coming your way??

I feed old fucks prune juice and retreat to a safe distance. I just make the food and serve the tea to the old insane bastards, they've got a legion of filipino Uruk Hai to wipe up the aftermath.