Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MagnuM

What do you drive?

1995 Fiat Punto in black. Nice little car, slow but willing and very practical for a broke student.

Previous cars;

1989 Mercedes-Benz 190E from my modding days. FAST. Sadly missed :'( I part-owned that car with friends. (that's not mine but VERY similar. Variations on a glorious '80s theme)

1988 Nissan Bluebird lolz first car

...okay, I don't REALLY drive a Ford Indigo...I can't even drive yet. So instead, I ride in a 1996 Geo Prizm (white) or a 1992 Toyota 4-Runner (blue).

WildWeasel said:

http://www.autotrend.com/pic/9854.jpg
...okay, I don't REALLY drive a Ford Indigo...I can't even drive yet. So instead, I ride in a 1996 Geo Prizm (white) or a 1992 Toyota 4-Runner (blue).

That is a horrid car.

david_a said:

Heh, does it have 4 cigar lighters in it (one in each armrest)? I knew someone in college who had a 70's Delta 88 given to him by his grandmother (14k miles!!) and we got a kick out of that feature.

No. GM downsized the B-body platform in 1977, also removing the option for a 455 cid V8 engine. Unfortunately, the 403 cid that replaced the high-end option only lasted three years, '77-'79, so in 1980 the top-end was a 350 cid V8, gas or diesel. In '81, the 350 cid gas V8 was removed as an option, making the top gas offering the 307 cid V8, which my car has, all the way until '85.

Anyways, where was I? Oh yeah, in '77, when the frame changed, the interior changed. I really doubt 4 cigarette lighters went on past 1976.

Also, you don't see a whole lot of coupe (2-door) Eighty Eights or Ninety Eights.

I drive down the street in my Lamborghini. In my mind.
[/Izzard]

Alientank said:

Hand your balls back into the man council please.

Excuse me? It's 5 cars in 1, a 3-door Saloon, a Panoramic Saloon, a Cabriolet, a Spider or a Spider Pick Up. A man's toy :P

Yeah, the kind of man who visits the hairdressers every week (and i dont mean a skinhead either!), wears really tight tops and takes longer than his girlfriend to get ready for a night out.

That said, i currently (since tuesday, heh) own a '54 reg (2004) Renault Clio "Extrem3", basically its a special edition with the spoilers and seats from a sports version (and dodgy barcodes stuck around the inside), but the 1.2 litre engine of a normal version, so the insurance is cheaper (still fast though). Oh, and its metallic orange..heh

Before that i had an M reg (1994) Fiesta mk3, it had done 100,200 miles when i passed it on (or rather gave it back to)my dad, but still ran fine, except for having very slow acceleration (was a 1.1), stalling on cold mornings, and reverse didnt always engage. Still, it had a handy hand-level storage thingy on the passengers side, the clio doesnt cause it has an airbag there, bah, if my mates dont want thier faces mangled they can walk. Except Lee, he is fit, but straight..dammit **

Bloodshedder said:

More than any human should know about Delta 88's

People didn't actually consider these cars to be sporty, did they?! That thing had utterly horrific handling. My friend actually somehow got another car from his other grandmother just so he wouldn't have to put up with the 88 in the winter.

The only complements the car got were due to the novelty-factor gargantuan size of thing. It is simply an utterly enormous car. My station wagon was completely dwarfed by it. The sad part was that he didn't even have the biggest car on campus... Some guy had a rusty 2-door Caddy that was bigger(!)

2004 Chevorlet Corvette. Awesome car, man. 280 HP. Ohhh, yes. And blue flourescent lights under the car and blue flames on the side. Got it when i came home from Spring Break. What a weekend it was!

david_a said:

People didn't actually consider these cars to be sporty, did they?!

No, they aren't particularly sporty in stock form. My brother owned my car before I did, though, and since he's pretty auto-wise, he did a few upgrades to it: polyurethane bushings on the front suspension (as opposed to rubber), so when taking corners the car's front end doesn't tilt as much; and a rear anti-sway bar, which also improves handling. My car actually has a better turning radius than his (albeit FWD) 1989 Buick Riviera. You've also gotta consider though, that up until 1992 or so the more or less official police car model was the Chevy Caprice, which is based on the same frame (B-body) as the Delta 88.

The only complements the car got were due to the novelty-factor gargantuan size of thing. It is simply an utterly enormous car. My station wagon was completely dwarfed by it.

Yes, they are very large. When Lüt visited me back in late January, his mid-90's Ford Taurus wagon was a few feet short of my car's overall length.

The sad part was that he didn't even have the biggest car on campus... Some guy had a rusty 2-door Caddy that was bigger(!)

There were only a few cars that were that large: the Olds Ninety Eight, the Delta 88, some Cadillacs, Lincolns (Mark III/IV), and definitely some others I don't know about.

Bloodshedder said:

There were only a few cars that were that large: the Olds Ninety Eight, the Delta 88, some Cadillacs, Lincolns (Mark III/IV), and definitely some others I don't know about.

My friend had a 1974 Buick Electra. Man that thing was a land yacht. It must have been about 20' or so. You could fit 6 very comfortably in the cab and 8 in the trunk.
I've got a 1989 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton pickup. As you can imagine the paint is horrid and I need to get it redone. It is a long bed, so the overall length is about 20' and an optional 34 gallon gas tank. This thing has a very large turning radius and is a bitch to park; I almost always have to straighten it out. The bastard has a 350ci engine and a TH700 transmission. It doesn't handle very well but I've never maxed out the speed of it, still accelerating at ~135MPH. I don't like to go too fast in it because it drifts at high speeds meaning it doesn't grip the road too well. I'm not about to put a scoop or spoiler on it or anything to fix that either.
My other car which is currently immobilized is a 1981 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited 4x4. The drive train is that of a Jeep Cherokee so I can always get parts. It looks very much like this:

But my rims are stock black and my side skirts are rotted away. I have no idea how I'm going to replace those. I'd like to fix it up and get it going like this guy's eagle. One of these days I hope...

Bloodshedder said:

You've also gotta consider though, that up until 1992 or so the more or less official police car model was the Chevy Caprice, which is based on the same frame (B-body) as the Delta 88.

More than likely this was due to the enormous weight and size of the car than anything else. No crumple zones on those puppies!!

I imagine this car is a favorite among the demolition derby crowd.

david_a said:

I imagine this car is a favorite among the demolition derby crowd.

Probably any more common full-frame rear wheel drive GM car from the late 70's and through the 80's that isn't in very good condition would be popular for a demolition derby: Buick Regal, Century, LeSabre, Riviera; Oldsmobile 88, 98, Cutlass; Chevy Caprice, Monte Carlo; Pontiac Parisienne, Grand Prix, Bonneville; and pretty much any RWD Cadillac.

Ah, i found pics of something like mine on a french site:

Front, with the front spoiler (aka an extra vent at the bottom)

Side, it looks like an ordinary version from here, mine is a 1.2, not a 1.4

Rear, notice the 'rear spoiler', aka a little plastic lego brick on the top of the window (on normal ones the top of the rear window curves right over, like a greenhouse, and looks wierd)

DooMer87 said:

I've seen Chevy Impala cop cars and taxis here in downtown Chicago.

doesn't new york city have impala cop cars too?