Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Spike

No fags, please, we're Liverpudlian.

I always found it ironic that bars/pubs/alcohol-dispensing-units fall under smoke free zones. If they're so concerned for the public's general well being and safety, why not ban alcohol? A cigarette never caused someone to crash their car into a living room and kill a family...unless they were distracted while lighting it. Bah, I'm not thinking rationally this early in the morning.

Well, at least they aren't banning smoking in your homes, like I read in a story somewhere else. Seriously though, this smoking prohibition crap thats been going on is rather pissing me off. I've never smoked a single cig in my life, but honestly, I dont see what the huge problem is with them. If you dont want to be around someone who is smoking, move. Most places are divided into smoking and non-smoking anyway.

Danarchy said:

Well, at least they aren't banning smoking in your homes, like I read in a story somewhere else. Seriously though, this smoking prohibition crap thats been going on is rather pissing me off. I've never smoked a single cig in my life, but honestly, I dont see what the huge problem is with them. If you dont want to be around someone who is smoking, move. Most places are divided into smoking and non-smoking anyway.

Heh.. smoking sections. thats like having a peeing section in a pool.

Silverwyvern said:

Heh.. smoking sections. thats like having a peeing section in a pool.

Well, air doesn't transfer smells/chemicals(?) as well as water does, so having a seperate section for smoking makes sense. Frankly, I think it would actually be better to have windows that actually open at most restaurants than ban smoking entirely. I mean, do we have to be in a completely sealed, not to mention stuffy, environment while we eat? A little fresh air would do us all good.

Most places have them seperated enough that you never even smell the smoke from the smokign section. I don't even see how that could be an issue. Maybe my state just has really tough regulations when it comes to that.

Danarchy said:

Most places have them seperated enough that you never even smell the smoke from the smokign section. I don't even see how that could be an issue. Maybe my state just has really tough regulations when it comes to that.

We have a law now that prohibits smoking within so many feet of a public establishment. Is gooood. Places smell better now.

They can just open hidden backstreet clubs where you go in and ask for a fag and they say "sorry, we only sell coffee" and you go "what kind of coffee?" and they say "players, malboro, mayfair, Lambert and butler" ect

I am surprised none of our American cousins have complained about your anti-homosexual post title

No fags, please, we're Liverpudlian.

:P

I know; i guess they managed to hold their "OMFG HOMOPHOBE" reaction in check just long enough to get their heads round it ;P

In New York, we have a ban on smoking in all public buildings, though most bars ignore the ban anyway.

MagnuM said:

1984 is in the UK. Not here in America yet...thank god...

BBG said:

In New York, we have a ban on smoking in all public buildings, though most bars ignore the ban anyway.

Sounds the same deal as in Liverpool to me, why not to you?

at my work place people get pissed because you only get a smoke break for 15 minutes every 4 hours. well it's nice because people actualy work.

when i worked fast food people always wanted to go on a smoke break every 30 minutes. many ended up getting fired.

a friend of mine gets pissed when his family smokes in the house. however he is fucking nuts cause he chews tobacco. personaly if i had to choose i would smoke. i don't even hang out with him any more because of his habbit

In New York City, you're still allowed to have a smoking section in a bar provided you follow a whole assload of rules which many bars simply couldnt afford to comply with. Some bars still let you smoke anyway though.

darknation said:

I demand a ban on ugly people in public places. Looking at their disgusting visage offends me.

I demand a law that fatass people shouldn't be allowed to wear short shorts. Fat peeps that are 300 lbs at my school wear short shorts. Aaaaaugh.....

Sephiroth said:

when i worked fast food people always wanted to go on a smoke break every 30 minutes. many ended up getting fired.

That's because nicotine only stays in your system for 30 minutes after you have your cigarette.

Amaster said:

Some bars still let you smoke anyway though.

Most bars in Wisconsin won't let you not smoke.

Snarboo said:

I always found it ironic that bars/pubs/alcohol-dispensing-units fall under smoke free zones. If they're so concerned for the public's general well being and safety, why not ban alcohol? A cigarette never caused someone to crash their car into a living room and kill a family...unless they were distracted while lighting it. Bah, I'm not thinking rationally this early in the morning.

I like to be able to go into a bar and not have to hold my breath and/or breathe into my shirt. I'm glad that they instituted a ban here over the summer.

AndrewB said:

I like to be able to go into a bar and not have to hold my breath and/or breathe into my shirt. I'm glad that they instituted a ban here over the summer.

I do agree that people have the right not to be exposed to cigarette smoke, but I think it needs to be rethought. Maybe if they allowed smokers to go near a fan near a window or something?

OMG WTF?!?!HOMOPHOBE!!!11!23onetwo!

Had to do it ;)

Well, what can I say about the smoking thing. People know how bad it is for their health, how bad it is for other people around them, and they don't stop or further more don't care. Schools have Health and Science classes that spend entire chapters on it. I guess banning smoking is the best way to stop if if people won't help themselves and the others that surround them daily. I'm not one of those people that goes around telling people they need to quit smoking, but at the same time I'm a non-smoker and have no intentions of ever starting. The effects may be long-term but hey, long-term or not, the future is never too far away, and I'd prefer to never have to face any effects of it.

Danarchy said:

Maybe my state just has really tough regulations when it comes to that.

Yes, the USA is a paradise for non-smokers (some states more than others). Come to Europe (esp. mainland Europe - the UK is relatively better), and you might see how it can be a problem.

Anyway, I am pleased to see that my native city is leading the way here. Well, not really leading; more sort of following Ireland.

Grazza said:

Anyway, I am pleased to see that my native city is leading the way here. Well, not really leading; more sort of following Ireland.

You mean the pub bans?

Yes, that's what I had in mind, but maybe Liverpool's proposal is more drastic (I don't know what the rules in Ireland are for other public places).

Pubs i can handle, since i rarely visit them. If they banned smoking in clubs, i'd be fucking screwed since I love the Krazyhouse.
But in a years time it would seem that, if caught smoking at work or in an open shopping centre, I'll rake in a hefty fine! It'll probably cover stuff like above-ground train stations (underground ones have a ban anyway), too.

Spike said:

It'll probably cover stuff like above-ground train stations (underground ones have a ban anyway), too.

Heh. I saw something on the History Channel about the London Underground and it said they outlawed smoking in the stations cause someone dropped a match on an escalator and it started a big fire that killed 30 people or something (cant remember, just pulled that number out of my ass). It probably stemmed from that.