Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hegemon

Direct X

Hi, I am completely clueless as far as computer technology goes. Anyways, I cannot play Doom 3 for more than 2 minutes without getting booted to desktop.

My computer came with Direct X 9.0c. I see that the game states a minimum of 9.0b for Direct X. I figured that since 9.0b is the minimum, that having 9.0c would be fine. Either I am right about that, or it is something else.

I hope that this isnt the case, because honestly cant think of whatever else it would be. My computer is no more than five months old, and I have played other games on it with no problems whatsoever, including Farcry.

No DirectX 9c is fine for Doom3, but without more information no one can help you. Check Event Viewer for application error logs, and be sure your chipset/video card drivers are updated. Also apply the Doom3 patch, that might help.

Thank you for the information. Apparently, I should download a service pack for Windows. I will try that, and then re-install the game to see if it works. As far as my system information goes, this is what it has:

Dell 8300
Microsoft XP
Pentium 3.0 Ghz
2.99 Ghz, 512MB of Ram
Radeon 9800 Pro (drivers up-to-date)

i personaly prefer direct seX

did you add that card you self?
reason i asked is that many new computers offten come with small power supplies. i have seen a great many with some as low as 175 watts. not near the needed amout for high end graphics.

however i would think that you would have had other issues. havnt really tested to see the effects of a small power supply. you need at least a 420 watt powersupply. if you have lower, upgrade. also in dells you either need to buy from dell or buy an adpter. DEll computers do not use the standard ATX power supply! useing a standard power supply without adpater will kill your main board and your warrenty.

here is a link
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/dellconverter.html

I havent altered the computer's hardware in anyway since I got it. However after taking another look at a few of the threads here, I lowered the game quality in the options menu and it now seems to be working fine. It is frustrating though, I would think that with a cpu only a few months old, I would be able to play any game at whatever settings I want. Oh well, the difference is barely noticable, doesnt really affect my enjoyment of the game.