Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pilottobombadier

Took a damned long time, but...

I am almost finished Lock and Load v4. Okay, I should probably backtrack, because I think it's been damned near 3 years since I released the third version and promised on the 4th.

Lock and Load was origionally an EDGE weapons mod (and for the smartasses that hate EDGE, it's STILL for EDGE) that was more or less about cramming a crapload of weapons into Doom that seemed...cool. Even if the graphics didn't compliment each other as well as they should have.

I've kind of changed that philosophy. It's now about a bunch of weapons that fit well with Doom, but not too many. A less-is-more goal, if you will. So, instead of 20 weapons (including dual-weapons), there's 18 weapons (again, including dual-weapons), and nothing too...antique. Well, not much. No m-16s, no uzis, no old-school side-arms. For the mostpart, the gear is pretty cutting-edge. Although the laser-rifle and railgun are not to be found, so nothing too out there, either.

So,how close am I to completion, you may ask? Well, I'm at the final playtesting stage. Hopefully I'll have it ready to rock and roll by this Saturday.

I don't have any screenshots, though, but that has more to do with me forgetting how to do it than anything else...

Is this for Edge 1.28a, or are you still using 1.24? Either way, look forward to a review of this - provided I have time for it.

1.28a. I upgraded, don't'cha know :P 1.24's a little antequated, I must digress - and not using OpenGL is wasting my Radeon. And this reminds me - it usually takes a week for stuff to get accepted into the wads archive, so I guess I'll be posting it on my webpage first - which is in desperate need of updating.

I think I've gone so far as to remove the Doom section, but the files are all still there, from my first mod - a little dehacked toy called Firepower, but the zipfile's corrupted - right up to Lock and Load v3.

Chronoteeth said:

Man, I wish I could play this, but ESL only supports 1.27 and below :(

It should support 1.28a just fine. What's the problem?

No, It only supports wads merged all into one wad, not the lines, ddf, script, ect....files seperated, so I can only play this if he puts every thing in one wad.

Chronoteeth said:

No, It only supports wads merged all into one wad, not the lines, ddf, script, ect....files seperated, so I can only play this if he puts every thing in one wad.

I've had great success testing out my weapons mod which has the DDF code seperate from the wad file. There's a command you can use that will read all the DDF files in a folder or even specific DDF files I believe. Type -ddf at the command line followed by the folder where you keep your code. However, I don't know if scripts are supported from the command line. I'm sorry if this doesn't help.

Chronoteeth said:

Thats the thing- I can't command line!

Ah, I forgot that ESL stands for the EDGE Shell Launcher, which I haven't used before. I'm curious, but why can't you use the command line or use EDGE by itself without ESL?

Chronoteeth said:

Too complicated.

Not necessarily! You just have to get used to it. If you're using Windows, click on the start button, then click on run. Browse your harddrive until you find the EDGE exe. Once you've found it, simply type the command lines after that!

Here's an example:

Y:\Games\EDGE\edge32.exe -file blah.wad

If you like to keep your wads in a seperate directory, try this:

Y:\Games\EDGE\edge32.exe -file (Y:\Games\EDGE\wads\blah.wad)* or (wads\blah.wad)*

If you need to load ddf files that are not in a wad but another directory, use this:

Y:\Games\EDGE\edge32.exe -ddf blah\

It might seem complicated, but it's not.

* remove the paranthesis

w00t. I've been awaiting such a development in this project. And I thought it was dead.

Alright, I put locked 3 on the desktop, now what do I do?

EDIT: Tried it, it doesn't work, man, all I can say it, please make everything into one wad, please.

CHRONOTEETH. Here is a comprehensive guide for you- but by now you SHOULD already know this considering being part of a community where adding wads in command lines is like second nature.

Anwyway...

This is assuming you are using windows. Right-click on gledge32.exe. Select 'Create Shortcut'. You should see the shortcut selected, called 'Shorcut to gledge32.exe'.

Now, right-click the shortcut, and select 'Properties'. At the top of the window that pops up, click the tab labeled 'Shortcut'. Now, in the box below labeled 'Target', it shows where gledge32.exe is located, in your doom directory. For example, mine is "C:\Program Files\Doom2\gledge32.exe".
Click at the end of this, where the last
quotation mark is.("). Press space once and type (without the quotation marks): "-file XXX.wad -ddf YYY"

By XXX, i mean the wad name. By YYY, I mean the directory in which the DDF files are located.

There you go- click 'OK' at the bottom and now you have a shortcut that, whenever you open it, will add the wad and ddf files for you. You can also rename it if you want, so you remember what mod it loads.

Comprehensive enough? :)

P.S. pillotobombadier- I'm glad to see lock and load back in action! It's been a while!

Yes comprehensive, Still to complacated? Yes, it still is (to me)

Man, can't you just put everything in one wad again? like what you did for locked and loaded 1?

Chronoteeth said:

Yes comprehensive, Still to complacated? Yes, it still is (to me)

That's impossible. It can't be too complicated, because I've outlined EXACTLY what you need to do, and it is as easy as clicking a few times and typing a few words. It's not like you have to remember some kind of C++ formula or something.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter... most people will release EDGE mods as a single wad anyway because it's less annoying and saves file space, and is just more convenient as a final package.

locked 3 is EDGE 1.24. I highly doubt it'll work properly with EDGE 1.28, as it wouldn't work with 1.27 (I never ported it over, either).

Speaking of which, I'm going to have to delay things a little on locked 4. A moment of incompetence cost me an hour of redoing the things.ddf file. It is, however, back up and running, I'm just doing some quick playtesting to ensure all the pick-ups are working as intended.

I think I'll just supply a link here to the file when it's all up and running instead of putting a link on my webpage, as I don't exactly feel like updating it today, as I have other things to do (like getting some more XBox controllers and ensureing I've got enough pre-drinking materials for tonight's booze-up with my friends).

Chronoteeth said:

Alright, just put everything in one wad, ssaves space, memory, and it's just plain easier to use.

shut the fuck up already.

And there's a bug I realised I accidently forgot to mention regarding the flamethrower. For some reason, it kills the projectile when you shoot downwards. Be very careful of this, as there's splash damage on all of the flamethrower's frames except the first frame when the projectile is fired.

Official Doom Armory Mini-Review:

* It has plenty of weapons, and starts the player with a decent assault rifle.
* Plasma gun and BFG, despite the addition of splash damage, feel about the same - even a graphics/sounds change would have been nice
* Alt-fires on clip-based weapons have their own clip-size, so they won't drain from the main clip (meaning if you were to fire all but 1 of your Pistol rounds, then start firing the alt-fire and have it reload, you'd still have to fire the single-shot from primary fire to reload again)
* Sounds are understated at best - Minigun and Desert Eagle in particular need beefier sounds
* Kick on Battle Rifle's grenade launcher comes too late
* It's very hard to use the flamethrower without causing immense amounts of damage to yourself
* Auto-shotgun feels a bit overpowered, for being one of the most common weapons in the game

Estimated overall score: 8/10 - A good mod, one that's fun to play for general purposes, but its flaws sadly put it in the shadow of other mods like ICD-SE.

Okay, I have fixed the flamethrower and finally figured out how I can get the pistols and such to work off one one clip command - the desert eagles were a challenge, but everything works very well, now.

My only real complaint is the (assault rifle's) grenade launcher. In my last mod, I was pretty sure I had much better range on a trajectory based weapon than I do now. I think I'm going to look into Locked3's ddf's and see what I did with the hk69 (which I believe was trajectory-based) and see if it's the same as the rifle's.

You do know it is possible to include the ddfs insidethe wad?

just rename them to:
ddfanim
ddfatk
ddfcolm
ddflang
ddflevl
ddfline
ddfplay
ddfsect
ddfsfx
ddfswth
ddfthing