Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spike

Doom3 Arch Vile...

...initially looks as though he spawns new monsters. However, when playing with the ungibbable mod i get the distinct impression that he is, in fact, resurrecting them just as he did in Doom II. I usually don't allow him to live that long, but when he gets his hands near a corpse or two, I swear I see them get back up. Last time i saw it was just after finding the elevator door panel in Central Processing - an Imp and a Trite just got right back up and went for me.

Anyone else encountered this?

What does it look like when they get back up?

Not sure exactly what it looked like, as it happened pretty damn fast, but i'm positive the ones that attacked me were previously a bit dead.
It'd be understandable that we thought he summoned new enemies in, as they're supposed to evaporate on death.

[EDIT]oh hang on i see what you mean: hands out on either side (like in the original), flames coming from them and touching the floor.

Well, his "summoning" animation looks a lot like the classic ressurection animation, so it's only fitting.

Actually, if I ever had one complaint about the new Archvile, it'd be that his classic "call-in-the-fire" animation is a goner - now he just does the same thing whether he resurrects monsters or attempts to fry you. Pity, I'd have loved to see him raise his arms and watch fire erupt from them.

When i've fought him, he thrusts his hands towards you (which is basically half the original animation) to summon the fire)

He also seems to do the same attack from the original dooms, the homing explosion thing, in case no one's noticed, but its quite rare in which he'll prefer to send flame pillars your way when he's close up.

Even on veteran i've never seen him resurrect something though, probably because i just direct all my firepower on it as soon as i see one.

He was originaly going to reserect dead and zombies according to interviews. With the reserecting sound still intact this proves that the reserecting idea was shut down at the last minut like the cherebs.

I seriously get the impression that summoning in new units is simply an illusion; since the corpses ordinarily evaporate, it seems like a brand new creature has appeared. With ungibbable though, it's easier to see what goes on.
Note that the creatures he summons are always the same ones that occupied/died around the area he inhabits. If no enemies were killed nearby, he just flames you.

I'll throw on God mode later, find an Arch-Vile and experiment (with screenshots if possible).

BlueSonnet said:

He also seems to do the same attack from the original dooms, the homing explosion thing, in case no one's noticed, but its quite rare in which he'll prefer to send flame pillars your way when he's close up.

Awesome! I'm gonna experiment around with this bastard on God mode to see if I can provoke that attack (convenient that I just made it to the past-Hell Delta Complex map :-P).

You aren't pulling a leg on me on this one are you? *scowls evilly*

I've not noticed homing explosions :/ up close he alternates between flaming and slashing with those big ol' hands.

Anyway, looks like i was mistaken. He uses existing spawn points to call in more monsters.
Still, i managed to turn it into a relatively enjoyable thread :P

He uses the xplosion attack VERY rarely. And only if he cant get you some other way (so it seems). Try placing him in a room where there's stuff between the two of you to block his firewall.

Amaster said:

He uses the xplosion attack VERY rarely. And only if he cant get you some other way (so it seems). Try placing him in a room where there's stuff between the two of you to block his firewall.

That's the "incinerate" attack. I think only "special" arch-viles use them.

Aww i never seen this before. Is there any maps that are any good for witnessing this, even though its rare?

The only time he did it to me was the level before i had to fight the saboath (can't remember its name, its after hell at least) where i was walking back towards the exit door near the entrance (now working) when for a split second i spotted the arch vile ahead and the next he hit me with the explosion (incinerate?) attack.

I saw him do his classic attack twice, I don't remember details on the second one, but I know the first time, I was up on a catwalk and he was in a doorway on the level below me (he could see me) and he did it then, making flames rise up from the catwalk at me. Don't remember which level it was in though. I think the second time he just did it because I pissed him off.

Hmm, just found this in the id.sdk documentation for AI scripts. It's relevant, I promise :

stopRagdoll: Disables the ragdoll and returns control to the animator. Used for monsters that are resurrected by the Archvile.

Maybe I was half-right :/