Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leefy_greens

I screwed up

I was using Build to edit map 32 for fun, started adding 3d floors for EDGE and other various garbage. Anyway, I thought it was becoming a really fun map, but then I must have made a fatal error. It crashes EDGE, it crashes DoomCAD, and even stranger... it crashes Build! I think I know what the problem is, or at least one of them. When I try to load it in EDGE it gives me an error message, something about Extrafloor with z range 128/136 is going into sector #206 celing. Seems like that would be easy to fix if I could just load it up in a level editor, but they all crash! Any ideas? Maybe someone would be kind enough to let me send it to them so they can take a look?

Anyhow, if I don't figure this out, it won't be the end of the world, I just really really don't want to start over...

If it's crashing the level editor itself, sounds like the file is messed up. Check for a backup that your editor may have made.

This is also why it's a good idea to save to an incremental file every time you finish something or make significant progress. I ran into this a lot with DOOMCad and just about everything I've done for DOOM.

For example with ROKS, I would save as:

ROKS_01.WAD
ROKS_02.WAD
ROKS_03.WAD

...and so on. That way I can go back if something goes tails up.

Strange, most maps I try to load crashes Build... including all the maps in the Doom2.wad.

It also won't let me create a new map, it says Error 424 object required.

The only map I got it to load was one made by slige.

Edit: Alright... so that error message is not consistant, and it doesn't do it every time I start a new map, only like 25% of the time. Maybe I have some config problems? Feel free to ignore me if I'm being too newbish. I'll try to solve my own problems more from now on before posting.

Build is the engine/editor used for duke3d and others, it's not a doom level editor.

And before someone tries to correct me by saying there is a doom level editor called build (i have no idea if there is), whoever released an editor for doom named build is a retard asking for confusion.

leefy_greens said:

Build is, in my opinion, the best Doom level editor. It's best feature is 3D editing, for texture alignment and such.

Care to provide a link to it for those of us who are unfamiliar with it (like me)?

I'm pretty sure he means Doom Builder and is confused. I'm also pretty sure everyone else knows what he means but is either trying to passively make fun of him or is willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

sargebaldy said:

I'm pretty sure he means Doom Builder and is confused. I'm also pretty sure everyone else knows what he means but is either trying to passively make fun of him or is willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I assure you I was completely serious in my statement and question.

sargebaldy said:

I'm pretty sure he means Build, and is unaware of the fact that it's a whole other engine.

I'm an idiot, I meant Doom Builder. Sorry for the confusion. So, we have learned that I'm slow... but I'm not stupid enough to try to make Doom levels with a Duke3d map editor. I'm mildly offended by that.

Edit: I found a slige map that it will load, which is rare, and it crashes when I try to go into the 3D editing mode. It's gotta be my comp I guess, since it worked fine for me long ago when I had a lower-end comp.

In that case I guess I should reply.

Strange, most maps I try to load crashes Build... including all the maps in the Doom2.wad.

It also won't let me create a new map, it says Error 424 object required.

The only map I got it to load was one made by slige.

Edit: Alright... so that error message is not consistant, and it doesn't do it every time I start a new map, only like 25% of the time. Maybe I have some config problems? Feel free to ignore me if I'm being too newbish. I'll try to solve my own problems more from now on before posting.

Im quite sure you got something wrong there. I have never heard such a thing happening due to my program and its not like you're the first and only one using it ;) There are many people around here using it without problems.

Make sure your OS is up to date, make sure your video drivers are up to date, make sure you have the latest version of DirectX, make sure your video drivers support DirectX, make sure you installed Doom Builder correctly and that you closed all other applications while you did, check the system requirements, make sure all settings you use for are supported by your video drivers and OS, try different settings, try other different settings, try more different settings, try, try, try. When you say "it crashes" it could be anything.

I copied and pasted my whole doom2 directory to my brothers computer and it all works. I fixed the map, Doom Builder no longer does crasy stuff, and the pesants rejoiced. Sorry I couldn't be more specific about the crashing, I am a stoner...

Why crashes DoomBuilder sometimes when i sets the configuration to Zdoom\hexen, it says "Block or Variable not set", CodeImp please fix this bug if it is a bug.

Otherwise DoomBuilder is the greatest editor ever...it was the editor that made me start editing

-impClaw