Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkhaven

Unnamed Wolf3D vs. Doom project

As the title suggests, as a little program to serve as my first real game engine which involves me writing it myself, I'm going to rewrite Wolfenstein 3D to compete with Doom's level of technology, with stuff like texture-mapped floors, etc.

So far, here's what I've got:

-An algorithm to draw textures on the floor and ceiling, similar to Doom's renderer
-Sky ceilings
-Rain and snow effects
-Map description above "Get Psyched!" screen
And here's what I want to impliment in the future:
-MIDI support
-.WAVs that can be longer than 6536 bytes
-Hi-res sprites
Any suggestions on what I can do to bring the existing engine up-to-date are welcome and wanted. And before you use [newproject], look more carefully at my post.

Draconio said:

Do you mean you're working with the Wolf3D source, or are you bulding an engine from the ground up?

I assume he means a new engine from scratch.

Well man, this sounds like an awesome thing to be doing, and I can only say more power to you and keep it up.

Have a homepage for news on this project yet?

It's actually based a little off of the Wolfenstein 3D source, for the raycasting renderer, sorry for the confusion about that. And, finally, here's the first version of the engine pre-compiled, and the inclusive source code, for those of you who are curious.

http://ripway.com/members/getfile.asp?file=\2004-10\183155\Scape\\SCAPE%2Ezip - SCAPE .1, whole development directory (pre-compiled)

http://ripway.com/members/getfile.asp?file=\2004-10\183155\Scape\\SCAPE%5FSRC%2Ezip - SCAPE .1 Engine source (all object files included)

And, a quick explanation. The pre-compiled ZIP includes the resources I used in the .TNT files and everything contained in that directory at the time of compilation. The source contains all .OBJ files (including GAMEPAL.OBJ and SIGNON.OBJ), Header files, C files and ASM files. Hope you like the engine's first official release :)

And Makaveli, check your mail

Darkhaven said:

STOP QUOTING ENTIRE POSTS FOR ONE-LINE REPLIES

I have one suggestion...GOOD LUCK!

[D3HoE]Makaveli said:
Dark, it won't let me download the engine. I have to log in and when I do nothing happens.

Where are you downloading it from, this thread or from your email?

I can't download it either - it tells me I need to log in. I'm downloading the pre-compiled binaries from your web link that you provided.

It was? I thought it was just the exact same game except with high-resolution textures and sprites. And higher quality (completely different) sounds. Although I think they did mess around with the levels and bosses and combined some with Spear of Destiny.

It sounds a lot like this project, but not really Doom like.

Not to mention Flamethrower and a Rocket Lancher.
I think it was mostly the same though, but I think someone tweaked the game to get high ceiling.

Uhh...i still don't get this. Why the hell would you try and make mods for Wolfenstien 3D, when there is tons of other games to mod...That game is dead man...Give it a rest. For Christ's sake...You've got a port called DOOM that you can mod...

If you have enough time to tweak and recreate the Wolfenstien game engine to run like doom's engine, then you must not have much of a life...

Oh yeah...and you are a moron

MagnuM said:

Uhh...i still don't get this. Why the hell would you try and make mods for Wolfenstien 3D, when there is tons of other games to mod...That game is dead man...Give it a rest. For Christ's sake...You've got a port called DOOM that you can mod...

I don't get you...why the hell would you make mods for Doom when there are tons of other games to mod? For Christ's sake, you've got Half-life, Quake III, Unreal 2004, etc. that you can mod.

If you have enough time to tweak and recreate the Wolfenstien game engine to run like doom's engine, then you must not have much of a life...

If you have enough time to critique and criticize others for not having much of a life, you must not have much of a life.

Oh yeah...any more posts like this and I'm permanently banning you.

I downloaded the engine (not the source), and I don't know what to do now. Can I run this at all? I know nothing of this sort of thing and unless there's an .EXE with a pretty icon I wouldn't have a clue on how to run the thing.

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

WOW I DIDNT NEED TO PASTE THE ENTIRE IE ERROR MESSAGE

Pretty nice dude. The only new thing I saw so far was the name of the map you're warping to above the "get psyched!" screen.

And floor/ceiling textures and new textures from RoTT (good on you :).

Sound didn't work for me, but so far this is great. I can't wait to see more. Once more is done to it I wanna make maps for it. :P

MagnuM said:

MagnuM also said:

I have one suggestion...GOOD LUCK!

Anyway, this looks cool. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the support, guys. I just have one question : Does anyone have tutorials on how to add support for General MIDI to Wolf3D?

Just a random question, but if you include support for hi-res sprites, do you plan on allowing for sprite compression so that everything doesn't look huge? It's a very basic question I know.

More than likely I'll include support for an external config file which will let you define how large certain sprites appear in-game, so yeah.

Is there a chance you could release a map showing the sky ceilings and rain/snow effects?