Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Expand Your Horizons

id has announced the first expansion pack for Doom 3 which will be called Resurrection of Evil. The pack will be co-developed by Nerve Software and id Software (Nerve has developed an expansion pack for RTCW) and will feature "new locations, characters and weapons, including the return of the double-barreled shotgun".

Building on the most advanced game engine ever created, DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil continues the frightening and gripping single player experience of the blockbuster original. The title also features even more multiplayer action with support for up to eight players in all new maps.

So this is not only good news for fans of Doom 3's single play (and fans of the super shotgun) but also fans of Doom 3 multiplayer. Yes, all both of you. I kid, I kid!

Update: A tentative release date of March 2005 has been set, but take that with some salt (source is Chris Morris from CNN, so pretty reliable) and stuff. Thanks Shacknews. - Cyb

Sweet sweet SSG action.

Probably wont be any new enemies though. It would have been mentioned otherwise.

sargebaldy said:

Nerve did the original RTCW multiplayer too didn't they?

yes

This is great news! I wonder what the other new weapons will be, and what they mean by new characters...perhaps new monsters and the return of Dr. Bertruger? I wonder if we'll venture to Earth in this installment, too! Heh, I can't wait. =D

New "characters" probably means new monsters in this case.

Holding out on seeing perhaps the return of the Baron and various mechanical spiders ...

Hopefully there will be a tad more action. I was unfortunately unimpressed with DooM 3 so this could make things better.

I wonder how they will work the SSG with the whole loading thing though.

*hopeing to god that SM/AT, PE, Baron make return*

*also hoping more than 1 new weapon*

Please Hell on Earth retelling (or part of it).

Ideally, Id would release two mission packs - one that's set on the Starport (with a small trip to Hell) and one set in the City and with a longer trip to Hell.

Still, the return of the double-barreled shotun is great news - now to hope that they've found a good way to work it into the arsenal and a good reinterpretation of the original.
Ideally, they'd have found a way to make a break-barrel Ssg that story-wise fits in - Hell, I can dream can I not?

dsm said:

Ideally, Id would release two mission packs - one that's set on the Starport (with a small trip to Hell) and one set in the City and with a longer trip to Hell.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe the expansion will see the player trying to get off of Mars while exploring the rest of the UAC base and fighting off the forces of Hell that have been sent to recapture the Soul Cube. When you finally find a starport with a usable escape craft, you fly to Earth only to find out you're not alone...cue Doom 3: Hell on Earth. :) As cliche as that sounds, it could easily work.

dsm said:

Ideally, they'd have found a way to make a break-barrel Ssg that story-wise fits in - Hell, I can dream can I not?

Perhaps you're not the first man to venture into Hell? Who knows, maybe an unwary gun slinger from the wild west found a portal to Hell, only to die and leave his shotgun in good condition. Also rather cheesy/cliche, but again, there's so much you could do with the storyline. Or maybe there's someone at that UAC who is an avid collector of antique fire arms?

Snarboo said:

Perhaps you're not the first man to venture into Hell? Who knows, maybe an unwary gun slinger from the wild west found a portal to Hell, only to die and leave his shotgun in good condition. Also rather cheesy/cliche, but again, there's so much you could do with the storyline.

I've too ideas myself that could go with a Hell on Earth story theme. The first one is rather crappy if I may say so myself, but the second *could work. In both cases, the ssg is a home-made, slapped-together gun.

1. Some former weapons designer/weapons factory worker (former because now everything is chaos and he's out of a job as a direct result of it) is resourceful enough to quickly flick together a homemade shotgun from spare parts, but he doesn't have the time to implement a proper reloading system, so he just enables break-barrel action. The guy is killed, leaving the shotgun for you to pick up.

2. The authorities have long (before the invasion) had problems with a widespread/global terrorist/crime organization that has a habit of using crude, but efficient home-made guns that they make from stolen gun parts. Their most famous (or infamous) weapon is what they've nicknamed "The Super Shotgun" which is incredibly powerful, but it has a primitve reloading system which is nothing more than a break-barrel system.

Ideally, the ssg would be made out of tech that feels right at home in the Doom 3 universe (an old-fashioned version would instantly be out of place), but the home-made appearance will explain it's hopelessly primitive reload system.

dsm said:

Still, the return of the double-barreled shotun is great news - now to hope that they've found a good way to work it into the arsenal and a good reinterpretation of the original.

Or maybe they'll manage to completely piss it away by making it look like an unsatisfying future weapon that retains little of the primeval force of a basic double barreled gun and give it a stupid chamber which holds only 10 shells and forces you to reload after only 5 shots.

At least that would make it fit in with the other Doom3 weapons and the shitty gameplay they help to create.

Arioch said:

New "characters" probably means new monsters in this case.

Holding out on seeing perhaps the return of the Baron and various mechanical spiders ...

Indeed! Plus I think the Spider Mastermind will make an appearance at the end.

Cyb said:

roofles, someone is bitter me thinks?

Heh, I guess that was aimed at me. :-)

Bitter? Maybe, maybe not. More just disappointed that after more than 10 years they used (probably) the best/most advanced game engine created to make a follow up to the best game ever made but due to a series of fatal flaws only ended up with an, at best, mediocre product that in no way recreated or substituted any of the superlative, addictive, keep you coming back for more - year in year out, gameplay that Doom is so famous for. :-(

"DOOM 3 defines first-person cinematic action, and the expansion pack continues right where we left off -- with a terrifying atmosphere, a new story and one of the most classic weapons ever, the double-barreled shotgun," states Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software.

So classic that they didn't put it in Doom 3 :P

DSM, you don't throw a firearm together from spare parts, heh. Unless you like it blowing up in your face, anyway.

You don't have to be quite so extreme in order to explain the presence of a double-barreled shotgun. My dad has two rifles from families that were heavily used in WWI. They are still formidable, high-caliber rifles, accurate, and work well. He's not even much of a collector. My grandfather has a break-barrel double-shotgun from around 1900, possibly earlier. Here in the US at least, it's not uncommon to find these types of guns. There shouldn't be much need to explain the origin of the shotgun the player finds in the game, even a couple centuries in the future.

EDIT: Almost forgot! I HOEP TEH SUPR SHOTTY HAVES COMPUTR CHIPZ N HOSES AND TECHNOLOGY ON IT

I'll probably buy it. I didn't really have a problem with Doom 3, and I'd definitely like to see how they expand the game.

i hope the double barrel uses different caliber shells so that the single barrel is still used a lot.. i know in the original doom, it made killing bigger monsters, a lot easier, and the need for a single barrel much less (besides long range sniping or conserving ammo).

Bid said:

Wasn't Nerve Software's RTCW expansion canceled cuz it sucked?

IIRC Nerve was doing the multi and someone else called "Mad Doc Software" was doing the single player, and the SP sucked so Activision cancelled the project and just released the multiplayer portion for free.