Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jehar

big buildings....

Mkay.. for mymajor project (see other posts) I require five 100 story skyskrapers with all of the stories acessable. The problem is that they all have windows looking out onto a large city (that is actually rendered out and explorable).

How do I render all of this without having 500 HUGE areas?
Of course I am assuming I will be using teleports for all this.

I could use a skybox with miniature buildings... but then it just would look strange.

Many of the floors will probably be identical, lowering the amount of actual rooms I need to build.

I think you're setting your sights a little high with the Doom engine. Try something you are capable of first. This whole projcts is overly ambitious and I don't think you have any chance of doing it the way you envision. You may have to compromise, as it sounds like you have limited experience with the game engine to begin with. Here your project is barely started and you're asking us how to do everything. I mean 100 stories? A huge cityscape that doesn't look like ass on toast? I can't even name any modern game engines that can pull this thing off.

The whole point of the doom engine is pushing it to new limits all the time. This is the way I am going to push it. True, it will not probably come off the way I imagine, but if I don't set my sights high, I won't learn anything. So if the bashing could please stop, could someone not help me per se, but ponder on this possibility.

I may have to make a compromise, but no one else has made "a huge cityscape that doesn't look like ass on toast" and since I was sorely disspointed at the iwads "city", I am determined to mkae this work, one way or another.

BTW, I have been working on this for well over a year. Bitch

I think a skybox is your best bet for when you're outside of the building. It might not look entirely right, but it's the only way I can think of that you can give the impression that the building is much larger than it really is. Now, is your skyscraper supposed to be looking at something, like say the Cthulhu monster you mentioned in another thread? If you rig up a series of teleports, you might find it difficult for every floor to look back on a specific site unless you use a skybox once again.

Alternatively, you could use the approach the Zombie TC used for its second level. Basically, you model the bottom and the roof of the building and then rig up some silent teleports to the other levels, even a basement if you feel it necessary. If you're going to use that method, you might want to make the floors inbetween the first and the roof devoid of windows, or make the windows look back out on a black void. This might raise the tension/atmosphere of your wad since you would not know what is going on outside of the building.

Also, it might not be a bad idea to make the lobby/ground/1st floor wider than the roof so you have more room for that level. It will also make it look more like a traditional skyscraper. Even better, you could actually make the roof level be a completely seperate area that looks out on the area of interest, say the roof of another skyscraper that the player couldn't enter. When the player looks out over the edge, he'll see another skyscraper in the distance and he'll merely think it was the skyscraper he couldn't enter rather than the one he did.

Just a question, but are you sure you want the player to go up an 100 story skyscraper? Unless there is going to be an elevator system, it would soon become tiring climbing up 100 identical levels with stairs. Perhaps you could make the building only have 25 floors for an 100 story building that was blown in half. The 25th floor of that building would probably be a smoldering ruin, which would also allow you to model it seperately from the ground level since your vision would probably be obscured by any smoke or fires on that level. Just some suggestions.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Yeah the first time up the buildings will be on an elevator, while later the elevator is damaged and the stairs need to be taken, but no worries, it will be made plenty interesting.

It can be done. It sounds like some crazy idea i'd come up, all i can say is, make sure you have plotted out the flow/layout of the level completely before undertaking this... otherwise, you may find major flaws in your design afterwards..

Jehar said:

Thanks for your suggestions!

Yeah the first time up the buildings will be on an elevator, while later the elevator is damaged and the stairs need to be taken, but no worries, it will be made plenty interesting.

There's a map in Wages of Sin (the Sin mission pack) that takes place on a 6-storey building. Some floors are empty, others look under construction (offices etc.) you can collapse the floor in one place, the stairs and fire escape get broken part-way up and other varied stuff like that.

Haha. What the fuck made you want to make a skyscraper with 100 accessable floors, you fucking idiot.

Make 3 or 4 of the floors accessable instead, or better yet, 2 or 3, you'll have to copy/paste the entire building the same amount of times on the same map anyway***, if you want the player to be able to see out windows, and be 'amazed at the height' (otherwise it wouldn't be much of a skyscraper experience...). 1 floor is the ground floor, one is floor 25, one is floor 65, and the other is the rooftop maybe? I'm just speaking my mind here now... :-) Remember GOOD WALL TEXTURES, if you planned to use the brown brick window from Doom2, haha.

Good luck.

Assuming you'll use Boom here now...with silent teleporters and elevators, and textures to show you're on floor 666, 13 or whatever...

***Can appearently make 2 or 3 floors on the same building as well, if the building is wide enough to begin with, then copy/paste that building to another place on the map, with its surroundings, for another 2 or 3 floors.

PROGRESS OMFG!!!!

*ahem*
anyways, update on the whole thing. I found some very nice textures in the bloodrescource pack and i decided to use those textures extensivly throughout the project, as some of the names on the signs are lovecraft-inspired. As far as the buildings go, i got them to look VERY nice on the outside and the first story on it. the rest should be cake, besides the windows. The only problem with the outside is the sheer edge on top, which just dont look right, but i think i can fix that with a thin border around the top

wont be perfect, but hey. I am VERY proud of what the rest looks like, look around for a pic on WIP soon.

Anyways, im still here, and im still working, though my work has slowed a bit since i got doom 3 :P

I´ve also tried to do these awesome levels :)

One of my maps was dethtown.wad , but due to extremme visplane problems, I diminished the map size (it was the old classic doom2 times). Recently I´ve discovered a great map made by someone (biggcity.wad) that has a baseball field and 3 huge buildings (however, only two floors). Anyway, its appearance is okay and sleek!

It´s like a contest...we try to make the most of doom2 level editing, using 3d floors or not, reaching its limits (now using legacy, doomsday and doombuilder)! I´m surprised I did not find any mapper which did a multi floor level aside of the classic legacy levels showing the new effects.

I´ve seen people doing improvements with doom2 legacy, but in a space environment. Startrek, moon, these things.... It´s possible to do an awesome multifloor ship :) But a friend of mine asked about using sprites... definitely it should be fps friendly.