Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RobMcKay

Did anyone else here have 32x doom?

I had it and I played it to bits. Obviously this was because I never had a pc at this time. Out of all the times I played it I never found the bfg (did anyone?) but it was in it because when you done the cheat you could get it. I had completed it (all 17 levels! Wow!) but then it gave you a crappy "I.D sollutes you" speech and then cut to a c:\ prompt. What the fuck was that all about? Also I noticed that there wasn't half as many textures in it and the cyberdemon and the Spidermastermind was also missing. Plus some of the more complex levels were simplified. But through all the faults goddamit it was the first time I got a taste of doom! Did anyone else have this and what did you make of it? Is there a site with lots of info on this game cuz I would love to read how this game came to frewition.

yes! I remember. I was 7 when i got it. First doom experience. Wait, not first doom experience. Erm, i think it was. But, it's what made me a hardcore doomer. God bless that system. Knuckles Chaotix was cool too

Ah memories! *wipes tear from eye* God the screen was so small the rez was like 320x240 and the frame rate still sucked but god you had to love it!

I got it when I was about 12 or 13. Still have it, but almost never play it now that I have PC that kicks ass comapared to the crappy 32X version (some of the levels were reduced!!!)

Anyway, I wonder what Doom GBA is gonna be like in terms of:

Music
Graphics
Sound
Level design
Texture Mapping

Dunno, I thought the framerate was fine... beats SNES DOOM >_< must... fight... lack-of-motion... sickness! some textures simplified, the smallish quantity of levels... that damned c:\ prompt thing... still love it to death! It's the only console DOOM I have and about one-third the reason I got a discontinued 32x ($20 a unit! $10-$20 a game! Yay ^_^).... the other two being *coughs* Knuckles Choatix and... Virtua Racing. Low-poly, low detail.... still love it. The extened cart for Genesis was better... in the Acropolis, the extened Gen cart had a detail acro with columns on a hill... the 32x had (oddly) a really badly done supposed acro. Heh...

... beats SNES DOOM

In one sense it does. The graphics are a little better and the enemies at least splatter. Plus the slime/toxin looked like the toxin, while the SNES versioin just had a plain green floor.

But in terms of music, SNES Doom by far rules out 32X. Plus it at least had 3 episodes with the right ending levels, not the Fortress of Mystery being the final level. And the levels were at least texture mapped correctly.

Well getting back to the original post made, you CANNOT get the BFG in 32X Doom without cheating. They slapped it together THAT DAMN QUICKLY AND HAPHAZARDLY.

If you want to argue about framerates between 32X and SNES, just try playing the 3D0 version. I'm talking about using a cheat to shrink the gamescreen down to the size of a pack of cigarettes on a 15 inch tv and it is STILL unplayably skippy. Both the SNES and 32X versions look like gold. =)

The 32X version might look better but I still prefer my SNES version... and I do have my reasons... which I might as well list since I'm waiting on a dime delivery I mean pizza. Yeah, pizza.

#1 First taste of Doom... way the hell back in the day. I remember being giddy when I saw it in the rental store.

#2 From a technological standpoint the effort just put into it is incredible. If this much thought and planning went into the 32X version... just imagine. =)

#3 Da music. Subwoofer. Oh yeah.

#4 Hella lot more levels is in there. I'm talking a fucking humongous amount of levels. FIVE OF THEM, SERIOUSLY!!!!!!1112

Bah... heheheh. The good ol' days. Now I play ZDoom at 720 by 480, windowed, with double x and y detail and it never drops a frame... not even on the Gothic2 deathmatch wad. ^_^

And the levels were at least texture mapped correctly.

I liked the retexturing of the later levels in 32X Doom. That's about the only reason I keep it. That, and I really did like the music. It sounded so dead.

Yeah but it always reminds me of better days when I think about 32x doom. And I even still remember the day I bought it. Everyone here I'm sure still remembers there first taste of doom. The funny thing was when I got a psx and played doom on that I was like woooahh. Unfortunatly my genesis 32x was given to my cousins and I've not seen it ever again. Which actually pisses me off.