Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Scabbed Angel

UK playstation game

I recently purchased the Director's cut of Silent Hill 2, so I can play as maria and get the different endings and such, from ebay from UK. I live in the US. There wouldn't be a reason why a UK PS2 game wouldn't be compatible with a US PS2 would there?

I think you need to get your ps2 chipped to play PAL games. Or bring it round to my place and we can play it heh

LOL. Grrrr... I wish this thought would have occured to me before buying it... meh at least I'm only out $25. How do you chip it to work? Will would it work at all and just display in B&W or most likely not at all?

Can't you output a PS2 to a monitor or HDTV, though? That would seem to suggest that the games are (somewhat) resolution independant. I wouldn't be surprised if the only difference between the US and UK release is some type of region encoding, so that's all you would have to bypass.

But then again, I don't own one of these.

PAL games run slower than NTSC (50hz and 60hz respectively IIRC), and I'm pretty sure I saw some program (or was it a piece of hardware?) that claimed to be able to speed them up.

Unfortunately, a quick search for it on Google didn't come up with what I'm talking about. It did, however, provide links to various PS2 NTSC->PAL converters, costing around £10 ($16 US).

Well yeah, but I'm wondering why that would matter so much to the game itself. If the PS2 is capable of outputting to other devices with different specs, then it seems to point to the games being reasonably independant of the output device. Maybe I'm assuming the PS2 is more PC-like than it actually is.

i think restless dreams US is the exact same as it is in the UK. I don't know why buying it from the UK would be differnt than from the US? i can understand buying the japanese version but even then i think it is the same, except the language

i have it for Xbox and i don't know of any differences.

no you will not be able to play the game on an american PS2 without having it chiped

MagnuM said:

***Exclaiming to everyone***

"This is why I have a computer :) "

You're kidding, right? PAL vs NTSC is nothing compared to the problems with video cards, processors, memory, sound cards, and everything else! :P

Sephiroth said:

i think restless dreams US is the exact same as it is in the UK. I don't know why buying it from the UK would be differnt than from the US? i can understand buying the japanese version but even then i think it is the same, except the language

UK and US televisions are different (PAL vs. NTSC), so games have to be designed with this in mind. It seems to be a growing trend for games to allow you to chose between the two, however.

What are you doing Charley? you cant use that, its a bit technical, you see..better let me take over