Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zombieribcage

kill a monster, open a door

zdoom, but i dont know the first thing about scripting

i do know a little about doombuilder, tho, at least enough to take directions, if it's possible

In ZDoom you can assign an action to each monster that is executed upon death. For that enter the 'Edit thing' dialog, go to 'effects' and set it up like you would do with any linedef you want to assign an action to.

Do like this

1. Click the effects tab
2. Enter the 11 in the special textbox
3. Set the arguments
4. Test

You can use other effects as well...

You must be making a map with the ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format) configuration though. Its not possible with the ZDoom (Doom in Doom format) configuration, because thats a whole different set of supported functionality.

Izzit possible in Vanilla Doom?
I think there is one map in doom2 iwad that does just that.

XXoXX said:

Izzit possible in Vanilla Doom?
I think there is one map in doom2 iwad that does just that.

Yeah, there are various instances in both of the original Dooms that trigger things to happen upon the killing of certain monsters, but they only work in the map which they were originally used in, with the same monster used in the map. For example, you can make a map for Doom 2 MAP07 with some mancubuses and have a sector with a special of 667 (or was it 666), and that will cause the floor to lower down once all the mancubuses in the map are dead. Of course, that only works in MAP07.

I'm fairly certain that there's other ways to trigger such things to happen in vanilla doom by making a dehacked patch that gives whatever monsters the door open trigger of the commander keen thing. I think there's some source ports that have problems with that though (Legacy is the only one I can think of off the top of my head).

But then again, I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.

Graf Zahl said:

In ZDoom you can assign an action to each monster that is executed upon death.

Is this also possible in jDoom?
Maybe with XG?

Azriel said:

Maybe with XG?

Most likely. But XG is far too unintuitive and complicated for me to bother with.

Azriel said:

Maybe with XG?

I think i've got some XG linetypes coded up that do just that, but i'll have to dig around my old Underworld wads to find em. On Olympus.wad iirc.