Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anima Zero

HR2 -nomonsters demopack

Hello once again. It took me a good half a day to do, but I've recorded a set of -nomonsters demos for HR2. Most are pretty good, save for map09 (Nice and boring after teleporting into the mini-castle you're cooped up in ^_^) and map 31 (the elevator ride takes a couple minutes, but is pretty quick afterwards). It'll be sent to Opulent after this is posted.

And I might as well take this chance to ask a quick, though possibly silly question: what does it mean in a .txt file for a demo when it says "first exit"? I think it means their first proper completion of the map, but I'd like to confirm this just to be sure.

EDIT: Just noting that the zipfile has been sent to Opulent. Should be up soon.

I always took "first exit" to mean "I have downloaded a map previously unseen to me and recorded all my attempts to beat it and this is the first demo I recorded in which I reached the exit"

It might also mean the slightly weaker condition "this is the first time I beat the map while recording a demo [I may have beaten it before, but I was not recording at the time]"

But hey it's just an educated guess :) I mean even the simple phrase "I have beaten this map" has several possible implications (did you beat it with 100% kills, 100% secrets, or just done a speedrun, etcetcetc)

"First exit" means "this is the first demo recording I did of this map where I managed to finish it without dying, and I didn't feel like giving it more tries, so the time is not optimised at all really".

I'm looking forward to the pack, BTW. ^^

Actually I have an even weaker definition of "first exit". It may be:

a) The first successful recording of a map previously unseen/unplayed.

b) The first successful recording of a map previously played, but not previously recorded on.

c) The first successful recording of a map previously played AND previously recorded on, but only for this session (i.e. having recorded an UV speed before, now trying UV max; or even having recorded an UV max some time ago, and now sitting down to try to improve it).

d) The first successful recording of a map of the type I want to record; given any/all of the conditions above (i.e. trying an UV max but reaching 99% kills several times, then 100% kills).

In short: for me, "first exit" always means a VALID run in the type of run I'm recording, and for that session, not the first time I ever happen to push the exit switch. :-)

EDIT: Oh, man. Forgot all about the demo pack. I'm going to check it out later. Sounds neat!

Well, I did one of the remaining maps for you. Here's HR2 map 32 nomo in 0:17.

It's definitely not perfect; I've never been much of an optimizer. I'd say 0:15 is in all likelihood possible, but I'm too lazy to try for it. I hope you all like this one! :-)

That was a good demo Kristian. Now we need someone who can do that blue key fiasco on HR2 map18 and we'll have a full -nomonsters demopack (sans 7 for obvious reasons. I could do a skill 1 speedrun for the level if anyone wants.)

And thanks for the "first exit" definition. Helps out a lot. Now onto making that map25 speed.

EDIT: Oh...christ...on a whim, I decided to attempt map18 just now -nomonsters style. You'd think I actually get real hanged up at the blue key, but luck was on my side (somehow...) as it took me only a couple of tries to snatch the key. After that, the rest of the level was simple. Time for it is 2:28, which can easily be improved with all the little mistakes I made, especially with the blue key room switch. That didn't look good at all ^_^. Anyways, we've got a full -nomonsters demopack now (and as I said before, let me know if you want a map07 skill 1 speedrun and I'll have it done). I'll send it off to Opulent later on tonight when I finish my map25 speedrun.

I'd say "first exit" means "first time the intended aim was achieved while recording". This would normally follow the standard work of working out a route, and doing a few trial runs, practicing any tricks involved, etc. I'd tend to abandon runs that go totally haywire (and would thus be of no interest even if completed), and would only release a first exit if I thought it didn't totally stink (or if it was just to demonstrate an idea, etc.). I wouldn't describe it as a first exit if I had previously recorded a demo (no matter how poor) that achieved the same aim.

Oh, and it's nice to see a new demo recorder. Should help keep things lively around here. :)

Kristian Ronge said:
Well, I did one of the remaining maps for you. Here's HR2 map 32 nomo in 0:17.

In your textfile you write: "Thank you as well of course to Erik Alm, who discovered the trick." I should just point out that this trick was known from the HR2 beta, and the first demo that I know of that featured it was a TAS demo by Adam Hegyi: hr32x027. If you don't have a copy of the beta, it can still be found here or here.

Argh! Of course! :-/
Truly sorry, Adam.

EDIT: I didn't think of the beta at the time of writing... I have changed the .txt file to reflect it. Doug -- please use the "updated" zip file (if adding to the SDA?); same address as the zip above, I just replaced it.