Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doohnibor

Flashback - dead or alive?!?

I guess it must be something about one year ago when the Flashback demo was released.
In my opinion one of the VERY best projects ever!
Since then I didn´t hear anything about it. Did I miss something???
Well, a few days ago I emailed the guys, asking if Flashback is still alive but the mail bounced back what is usually not a good singn.

Anyhow. Does someone know what is going on?

It wouldn't surprise me if the project was dead. Torn doesn't seem very involved with doom nowadays.

I was working on the project for a while but nothing seemed to be happening so I guess it's dead. Torn sent me an e-mail saying that too.

Too bad. I was really hoping they would finish this one since it was outstanding quality.
Can someone ask Torn if there exist some finished maps that were not in the demo which could be released?

Doohnibor said:

HA! Girlfriends may come and go. Doom stays ; )

:/
REAL Girlfriend >>>>>> Doom and any other game..

I quit flashback when i realized it would never get done. That and i just lost all hope in finishing e4m7. I think i lost it too.

True story

It's dead for now. If Torn figures out that real life sucks and gets back here it might get back on track, but I doubt it. I sure won't be working on it anymore.

I think Espi quit the project :( And Torn has a life :( I was mapping for it for a while, tossing a map back and forth with him. Two people tossing a map back and forth on IRC can really make progress quick. I'd certainly be willing to help him map more if he ever finds time to come back. But anyway, I don't want to call it dead though, let's just say it's in a coma.

Well, I didn't exactly quit, I just finished with all the maps I ever intended to do for the project. They're all in the demo.

Torn had some mapping difficulties the whole time: he'd be off to a great start on a level, then decide that it sucks and start it all over. =/

He has a bunch of half-finished levels laying around, but I don't think he has any finished unreleased maps for the project. I don't know for sure, haven't seen him around any more than anyone else.

heh, I have an estimated 30 unreleased flashback map starts in my dcc downloads folder. But yeah, he did really have that problem, but I think when he's mapping with someone else it was easier for him.

Well, all that doesn´t get us any further, does it?? ;)

How about someone picking up the pieces and taking over?
I guess at least it might be a possibility and with a few questions and emails it might be possible to solve this thing and bring one of the most promising projects back to live (or should i say "wake up from coma ;).

For my personal taste there is just too much new feature stuff in the new maps and some plain simple classic wad of awesome quality (like the demo was) would be very refreshing.

i really hope someone makes a step!

Worry not. I shall eventually reveal great things that shall make you all forget this crumbled project in the shades of forum posts.

myk said:

Worry not. I shall eventually reveal great things that shall make you all forget this crumbled project in the shades of forum posts.

Plutonia II? ;)

Wouldn't that be neat..

Yeah, Plutonia II or MM3 would be an awesome thing but.... It´s still not Flashback ; )
The great thing about Flashback in my opinion was that it is strictly Doom 1. It perfectly brought back the unique Doom 1 feeling which is noticably different to the later stuff AND it had the potential to push it in some places to a whole different level! Don´t get me wrong. I do not want to say Doom 1 is better than 2 but all great projects and megawads that I know of are based on Doom 2. So a change would be nice.
Playing the Flashback Demo was just such a refreshig thing for me and was the FIRST project of it´s kind that really brought back those very old days into my memory.
I hope someone takes over or works on a similar wad. No new textures, no new sounds, no new monsters, weapons, or other fancy unnecessary stuff. Just plain simple Doom ; )

btw: if there already exists an awesome quality Doom 1 megawad (episode) then please let me know. The stuff that I know of is just not good, but I also have to admit that I did not touch the old archives or check them since a very long time. I too had the opinion that everything that is Doom 1 must be crap and outdated by now compared to Doom2 releases which was probably true at that time ; )

It would indeed be a tragedy if Flashback died. It's certainly nice that things like Plutonia II and mykdoom are in the works, but this would not lessen the pain of a project that showed such phenomenal progress remaining incomplete. I'd like to think one of the other prominent mappers involved in the project might take it over.

Doohnibor: There are some great Doom(1) megawads and episodes. My favourites are:
2002ADO - IMO a top-five megawad, and clearly very popular.
Death Tormention II - similar in quality and challenge to the later episodes of 2002ADO.
Going back to the early days, there was the Eternity, Serenity and Infinity trilogy, while there have been a number of excellent E1-style episodes, both recent and from the early days (many of them have "Phobos" or "Classic" in their names).

boris said:

Yeah, Torn got a live, with girlfriend and everything :P

pfft, Doom is better than any of those things.

I was supposed to do E1M2 for Flashback, maybe if I see signs of life in this project I'll do E1M2 for it, until then....But yeah, I'd hate to see such a promising project fall through :(

I started e4m9 for it too. Didn't get too far with it though. I'd be willing to continue it if someone else picked up the project.

Lutrov71 said:

Wouldn't it be great having a girlfriend that makes Doom wads.

Welcome to MatchMakers.com

Q. What is your favorite thing to do
A.Make Levels for Doom and Doom2

We're sorry, but we could not find any matches going by your favorite thing to do, would you like to try again?

That would be pretty cool to have a girlfriend do that.

Lutrov71 said:

Wouldn't it be great having a girlfriend that makes Doom wads.

Heh, that's a good one :D

That'd be pretty shitty if she kept making WADS better than yours. Oh noes! Full humiliation...

Just you guys wait till the ZDoom community finishes Knee-Deep in ZDoom... maybe then some of us will reanimate Flashback.
I've played the demo most recently, and must say it's the most D1 looking add-on (WAD, ok?) I've ever seen (not mentioning doom.wad); and since I'm just addicted to old Doom 1 climate, and R-One's engine isn't ready to begin serious work with, maybe I would even join the project - and taht's what everybody would love to see =)

cheers