Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dixit

ghost

I found three "ghosts" in a Wad... initially i couldn't undertand what's happening. A Sarge and 2 zombies... I shot and shot but they don't want to die! I think they are immortal! And also they pass through the walls like ghosts!

Had I an hallucination? Did u ever met ghosts in doom?? :D

Ohhh... okay. Its a bug in Doom. When an enemy's corpse gets squished under a door or crushing ceiling and turns into a pool of meat, and then gets revived by an ArchVile, it becomes a 'ghost', it cant die and it can go through walls. Its a bug.

mmm ok. but i saw no archvile before the ghosts. they appeared in a room from a wall themself. I'll look better in the wad.

Which map/wad was it? Some maps are deliberately set up to generate ghosts, and generally the mapper will keep the archie out of sight (to start with), to make sure you can't just kill the archie before he's had a chance to create some ghosts.

Lots of ghost info here (though it is restricted to a discussion of ghosts in the Doom2 iwad, and doesn't mention any of the pwads that are deliberately set up to produce ghosts, or where they tend to occur frequently).

i took that wad here, in doomworld
bndalys.wad
i'm not sure there is a archvile out of sight.

I've only faced a handful of ghosts in my time, and each time I had the convienence of having the rocket laucher out and their backs to the wall.

Now this is really interesting. I saw few ghosts in vanilla Doom, but they were made using Dehacked. Never seen them in original Doom 2, and I've been playing the game since 1995...

Maybe that's just because I always focus on Killing Archies first (ain't no stupid strategy ;), but it remains a mytsery to me why I did never notice that?

come to think of it. There aren't many places in whole Doom 2 where an Archie can revive a squished monster, are they?

I can think of one in particular in Final somewhere, I don't remember which wad or level. I've been playing through the original Dooms and I'm about to start Final now, so we'll see... I have encountered ghosts several times in the past though, it's cool as hell. I love it when the pink bulldemon becomes a ghost, cause he's kind of quick, and follows you everywhere, but has no projectile weaponry. I usually let him live and just follows me everywhere, it's like having a dog.

ellmo said:

come to think of it. There aren't many places in whole Doom 2 where an Archie can revive a squished monster, are they?

In vanilla Doom II there's 8-ish maps where you can get them through Archie activity, but at least a couple of them make it difficult. In my experience you can get them on maps 16, 25 and 27 without too much effort.

pain elemental ghosts are a pain in the ass. i have seen that once. however a lost soul ghost would do nothing but pass through you.

yes lost souls can be crush as can pain elementals. they just have to die as a door shuts or get killed by a crushing ceiling.

ghost are the coolest bug in the doom games, or any other game that i can think of. Even if the tombraider super jump trick was useful i wasn't very fun like a ghost.

Ledmeister said:
In my experience you can get them on maps 16, 25 and 27 without too much effort.

And in Map20 it isn't too hard; just allow the Arch-Vile to walk around the ledge in the boss confrontation room over to the other side of the catwalk, to the door where former humans or imps can easily end up crushed.

I'm sure someone out there can alter the necessary files so that the archie can resurrect spiderminds and cyberdemons... a ghost cyberdemon would put an end to the "I can beat a cyberdemon while getting a blowjob and controlling with my toes" bullshit that goes on.

Airman266 said:

I'm sure someone out there can alter the necessary files so that the archie can resurrect spiderminds and cyberdemons... a ghost cyberdemon would put an end to the "I can beat a cyberdemon while getting a blowjob and controlling with my toes" bullshit that goes on.

Cyberdemons are immune to splash damage, so they would be invincible as ghosts. So no.

Ultraviolet said:

Cyberdemons are immune to splash damage, so they would be invincible as ghosts. So no.

You could remove that immunity by making them no longer a "boss", I think. Not 100% sure though.

Airman266 said:

resurrectable? (yes I did make that word up)

Not really.

Grazza said:

You could remove that immunity by making them no longer a "boss", I think. Not 100% sure though

In ZDoom you can take away their immunity against splash damage. But that won't help much because ZDoom has ghosts permanently disabled any in any other port that immunity is hard coded. You'd have to switch the Cyberdemon with some other thing in Dehacked to achieve it.