Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
impClaw

Is there any Texture removal program?

Is there any program that can removing unused texture lumps from the wad?

I've got a one leveled wad that takes 4 MB because of all the textures.

PLEASE give me a link to a program like that.

impClaw said:

Is there any program that can removing unused texture lumps from the wad

I've got a one leveled wad that takes 4 MB because of all the textures

PLEASE give me a link to a program like that

Yes. DeePsea :)

1, Press F7 - Pwad Lump arranging and more and open your PWAD.

2. Click the Texture Deletion button on the lower right. Use DOOM2.wad as your IWAD (if it's for DOOM) or whatever IWAD is appropriate.

3. Click List all Textures and Flats not used first to get an idea.

4. Make a backup of your file, then click "Delete Textures and Flats not Used". Run in PROMPT mode so you can decide on each one.

Removes the definitions from TEXTUREx, PNAMES and gets rid of the lump in the PWAD.

sbsoftware.com/files/deepsea.zip

That sounds like an extremly useful command Deep. Hate to be a cheapskate, but does that work in the unregistered version?

Or you could open the wad up in your favorite lump editor (example: XWE) and delete the texture lumps.

lerner said:

Or you could open the wad up in your favorite lump editor (example: XWE) and delete the texture lumps.

Pretty sure that won't work. That won't clear the PNAMES and it won't get rid of the patches (which take up all the space). Plus you have to figure out which textures aren't used in the first place. That's the whole idea behind the automation.

And yes, all the lump tools are unlimited in the shareware version.

Well, as for the PNAMES thing, you simply just get rid of that too :P. But I guess I see the value of automation, but you could just not include textures you don't plan on using :P.

lerner said:

Well, as for the PNAMES thing, you simply just get rid of that too :P. But I guess I see the value of automation, but you could just not include textures you don't plan on using :P.

Assuming you know the textures you didn't use (pretty nasty task for a large level), then removing PNAMES entries can be much more difficult than removing texture entries.

Barring those with a photographic memory and thus know which patches belong to which textures (or the patches and texture names are one and the same), find patch pnames that belong to various textures is a sort of like opening up a can of worms you didn't know had worms:0

The reason this happens is simple and is usually done by people who either have some experience thus make many new graphics they might want or by less experienced who grab some existing textures.

In the end there are usually some you didn't use - hence the extra stuff in a PWAD that isn't used by anything.

I see the 30 days limit has been removed from the shareware version license and replaced with a "registration would be nice" on the splash screen.

This is great, since deepsea seems to have many powerful wad manipulation tools and I'd hate to try it out, find it useful and then being unable to use it when i need to because more then 30 days have passed. Thanks deep for changing the license!

EDIT: oh, and to put this post on topic: This is a great example of a task to automate. Good feature deep.