Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impboy4

When is Hellstorm going to release?

NiGHTMARE said:

As far as I know, never.

Yeah I believe so. It would be cool if some other team could finish it.

Azriel said:

It would be cool if some other team could finish it.

I strongly agree. When I first found out about this mod back in 1999, it looked very very promising. They already had lots of neat monster sprites all finished up and ready to go, they seemed to have a solid team of up to 10 people....They all knew exactly what they wanted to accomplish.
Honestly, out of all the projects hosted by Doomworld, I must say that Hellstorm was the very last one which I suspected to become abandoned.
It's too sad that this suspicion could unwillingly come true :(

DarkJedi188 said:

I strongly agree. When I first found out about this mod back in 1999, it looked very very promising. They already had lots of neat monster sprites all finished up and ready to go, they seemed to have a solid team of up to 10 people....They all knew exactly what they wanted to accomplish.

Yeah those sprites were awesome. It's one of the best projects I I've ever seen. Well maybe someday someone will finish it but I'm not hoping for that. I really would like to help with reviving the project but I don't have the time because I'm currently involved in another project.

Tormentor667 said:

Well, what about the original team? What has happened to them? Maybe they could give their sprites and done work to the community!

Someone already suggested that. Apparantly the two project members had a fallout and one of them is hogging the resources.

BTW the resources in question are simply textures and flats. IIRC very few of the new enemies were actually completed, and those that were never got sent to anybody (at least not to me, and I was a member of the original team).

I still have the texture wad, but there isn't really anything new - just a load of Hereticm, Hexen and GothicDM textures, some of which had been modified.

Damn hogger.

Anyway, that monster sprites aren't that special compared with some more recient works (like the baron from Rebirth, the pharaoh from Osiris, some of the creatures from the Zdoom monsters pack, Tormentor's "baron of hell with shield", and so on). Still, it should be sweet if they release them, I remember my interest in the project, back in 1999.

Nick. Well I was under the impression when I talked to the leader that they were close to a release but he had to quit due to RL, then a year later 2 people Matt denham and another guy declared that they had taken over the project and had obtained all the resoures.

When the project was still under it's original leader, Colin Potratz, it was nowhere near a release. I think only a single level was even over 25% complete.

Vaporstorm :P The last news post indicates that they didn't even have a team at that time...

That's a pitty really. THe concept art for monsters are one of the most impressive thing's I've seen for a Doom mod-concept art for Doom mods are rare..
But the sprites themselves mostly edited ones and I believe one could recreate them (like hellhound is blood's hound recolored, ghouls are mummies from Heretic-they are easily recognizable).

The screenshots are impressive as well-tremendous atmosphere in those not so detailed yet moody maps.

What was the reason of the failure of this mod we will never know. They have an application asking for help tough on their webpage. Maybe a project of that caliber extended Doom's limitations. Maybe the project isn't dead at all, they are slowly progressing? This remains a puzzle until someone contacts them in any possible way.

If this project indeed died someone who has enough motivation could pick it up and continue-compared to today's standards in sprites, maps, Doom modding even and source ports capabilities it shouldn't be as hard as the couple years back.

kristus said:

That hound is from Blood? Cool.
/me installs.

O_O You mean you never played it before? Oh, man. What a loss. Play it quick. Especially the second (I think) - snowy episode. Very atmospheric.

kristus said:

I'm sure it's Matt Denham who is the hogger.

ROFL

I guess we'll never see it then, since he doesn;t even exist anymore. Or something.

Of course I've played it, but I never played it through. I even have the retail version here. But I never played the retail when I had a 486 and when I got the full version it was too shoddy on my new cool computer. Damn old DOS games.

kristus said:

when I got the full version it was too shoddy on my new cool computer. Damn old DOS games.

Yeah, I also keep experiencing this annoying problem. Why can't people just make source-ports for each and every single FPS game that was released between 1992 and 1996?
I mean...we already have source-ports for DOOM1 & DOOM2, we already have source-ports for HERETIC1 and HEXEN1...and we just recently got a source-port for Duke3D...Why not make a source-port for Rise Of The Triad now? Or even better, why not make a source-port for Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold? (I love that goddamn game so much!)

DarkJedi188 said:

Yeah, I also keep experiencing this annoying problem. Why can't people just make source-ports for each and every single FPS game that was released between 1992 and 1996?

The clue is in the name. You need the source before you can "port" (or to be more accurate, modify) it, and so far very few companies have oblidged.

You can get most old DOS games to work on modern machines with programs like VDMSound, DOSBox, etc (do a Google on 'em, can't be bothered right now ;)), though you may have to mess around with the settings a bit.