Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anima Zero

eaeuro3 UV-Max + -nomonsters demos

Yeah, I wanted to do this level. First off, I did a -nomonsters run in 1:15. Secondly, I did a UV-Max in 17:24 (First exit, and I was not prepared at all for the final 3 cybers ^_^. Didn't expect that). Ran outta cell ammo during this, so used RL+SSG to mop up, then realized there was cell ammo by the exit >_<. Going to try again before sending it off.

EDIT: Holy crap. More agressive play and using the invul. wisely equals a major improvement in my time. I thought 17:24 was good, but this time around, I got a time of 11:18. I'm VERY surprised at the time since I thought I'd have something around 14-15 minutes. Only part that went a tad slow was missing a pair of monsters in the plasma gun room (you'll see me stop for a few seconds at the end to IDDT for living monsters and realized those two were alive. Had to go back and kill them, which cost me a little time. Other than that, superb goodness here. Sub 10-mins possible here with more agressive play? Possibly. Sub 11-mins is more likely though. Anyways, going to finish txt file and send it off to Opulent, along with the -nomonsters demo.

EDIT 2: Oopsie. Checked it under PrBoom 2.2.6-2 (Budko's modified version I believe, the one that only counts monsters already on the level and not resurrected monsters) and somehow missed one monster. Apparently one monster didn't want to teleport in ^_^. Regardless, I'm still very pleased with this demo. Going to send it off anyway very soon.

EDIT 3: It's been sent, along with the -nomonsters demo (which I improved to 1:09 before sending). Should be up later today.

EDIT 4: Uh...remember when I said sub 10-mins might be possible with more agressive play? Well, it happened... I just improved the time by almost a whole 2 minutes, to a time of 9:27. Still had the wonky "I refuse to teleport out" monster from my previous demo that didn't come out, along with one living imp in the plasma gun room (gosh darn it, I was right there too, thought the imp was dead, little twerp :P). Sending to Opulent now.

GREAT demo as always Anima...

I went ahead and tried one out myself as well..

The time is 9:21. I'm going to be trying it again a little bit later, see if I can get 8:00 - 8:30. I'm sure thats feasible.

Also, the port I used was Zdoom (2.63). It made things go a bit easier at certain areas (namely the jump to the BFG).

I had a problem with the kills percentage as well, for some reason it said I had only 96%... I'm positive that I've killed everything on the map (save for the lone "non" teleporting monster that Anima had problems with as well). So, I really don't know why it's saying that I didn't kill everyone.

Well, just shipped it to Ops, should be up a bit later on.

ragnew said:
I had a problem with the kills percentage as well, for some reason it said I had only 96%... I'm positive that I've killed everything on the map (save for the lone "non" teleporting monster that Anima had problems with as well). So, I really don't know why it's saying that I didn't kill everyone.

Hey Richie,

First off -- these are very entertaining demos (both for this map and eaeuro2). Secondly, if you're using a new ZDooM version and not getting 100% kills it *might* have to do with there being Lost Souls alive. I believe the newest ZDooM betas count Lost Souls as monsters (for some unknown reason), which for example makes 100% kills a real pain/impossible for maps with Pain Elementals.

Kristian Ronge said:

Hey Richie,

First off -- these are very entertaining demos (both for this map and eaeuro2). Secondly, if you're using a new ZDooM version and not getting 100% kills it *might* have to do with there being Lost Souls alive. I believe the newest ZDooM betas count Lost Souls as monsters (for some unknown reason), which for example makes 100% kills a real pain/impossible for maps with Pain Elementals.

Yeah, Lost Souls do get counted as monsters in ZDoom (Latest version). Thing is, there's only a few Pain Elementals on this level (They guard the blue key). I'd doubt ragnew would just leave any souls alive though, unless he did, in which case they are to blame. Otherwise, I can't make any guess to the 96% kills thingy (Though at least I'm not the only one with the monster that doesn't wan't to teleport in ^_^).

Anima Zero said:
Thing is, there's only a few Pain Elementals on this level (They guard the blue key).

I know. There are three(?) in total I think... (it's possible to check with DMTHA)

I'd doubt ragnew would just leave any souls alive though, unless he did, in which case they are to blame.

It's not always up to the player to control. Sometimes I've seen PEs blow up and shoot out Lost Souls on the opposite side of solid walls (sometimes shooting them outside of the level!).

Short funny anecdote: In one map, MM map 28, right before you get the blue key, there's some cramped fighting in a marble part (you know which one). There's a PE there, and it's happened that when it blows up it shoots out a Lost Soul which gets trapped inside the wall that's supposed to lower next to reveal the mancubuses/arachnotrons. This then means that the wall doesn't lower when you flip the switch to lower it, and you're basically stuck. It's totally out of your control, unless you prefer to lure it away from the wall to a safer place, which steals much time.

Hiya folks,

Thanks for the info on the lost souls there guys! I'm really not too sure why it is still saying that I didn't get 100% kills, but I guess thats just something I'll have to deal with... :)

I'm going to try it again, and shoot the newest one over to Ops here a bit later on.

Thanks for pioneering these maps there Anima! Did a GREAT job man!

EDIT : Just sent out the latest recording on this map to Ops. The time is 8:46. Found the monsters I missed last time, heheh, didn't miss'em this time...

Still no teleporting monster either... He seems to like staying in there...

Laters!

Kristian Ronge said:

It's not always up to the player to control. Sometimes I've seen PEs blow up and shoot out Lost Souls on the opposite side of solid walls (sometimes shooting them outside of the level!).

Ah yes, totally forgot about that ^_^. Those souls were killed though, so no worries there.

I was going to say what monsters you missed ragnew, but it looks like you just figured it out. That being said, I can't wait to watch this demo (sub 9-mins?!? That's awesome! Getting under 8:30 could be reachable now ^_^).

Alrighty, just sent the latest attempt at this map to Ops, and yeppers, below 8:30 was possible.

The latest run ended with a time of 8:08, so damn close to getting it below the 8 minute mark. Ah well, that's all good.

So anywho, enjoy the demo guys... It was pretty fun making it.. :)

I might try another go at this a bit later on to see if I can get it below 8 minutes, but it might be later on.

See ya!

heh, the 8.46 was great, eagerly awaiting the next demo =) Now who's up for the last eaeuro map? :P Also, another map of the same "type" to consider could be vrack3.

Schneelocke said:

There's a fourth EAEURO map? Where?

He's referring to eaeuro01.wad, which is quite non-linear (and also has a whopping 15 secrets in it!).

That being said, the 8:46 was sweet! Can't wait for the next one ^_^.

Anima Zero said:

He's referring to eaeuro01.wad, which is quite non-linear (and also has a whopping 15 secrets in it!).

That being said, the 8:46 was sweet! Can't wait for the next one ^_^.

Ah, OK. And yeah, it was! It's your turn now, Anima - take back the crown! ;)

Schneelocke said:

Ah, OK. And yeah, it was! It's your turn now, Anima - take back the crown! ;)

How about if I took the crown for UV-Speed? That'll work right ^_^?

Anyways, as I sorta mentioned above, I did a UV-Speed run in 2:30. Good demo IMO, though I nearly died midway through. Other than that, I'll be sending it to Opulent right now.

BTW, I don't think you can really make valid comparisons between the times for Zdoom2 demos and Boom/Doom2.exe demos. The behaviour is just too different.

Grazza said:

BTW, I don't think you can really make valid comparisons between the times for Zdoom2 demos and Boom/Doom2.exe demos. The behaviour is just too different.

I agree with that completely, Zdoom makes it so much easier to get out of the sticky situations (i.e. the area where you have to jump for the BFG, with the Barons swarming that area I always got stuck with PRBOOMS).

Anima (or anyone for that matter), I'd say check it out with Zdoom man! You'd like how it plays. More freedom then with Prboom or Glboom.

Plus, you can re-record over the same demo name without having to change the lmp name by a digit or letter. :) Give it a go!

Grazza said:

Making direct comparisons between 2 demos recorded with ANY 2 different engines (even e.g. doom2.exe version 1.666 and version 1.9) is often pointless, IMO. However, it is always possible to make indirect comparisons of playing (not necessarily focusing on time). When it comes to things being different, some things will ultimately be better for some players, and other things will ultimately be worse. It kind of evens out.

ragnew said:

I agree with that completely, Zdoom makes it so much easier to get out of the sticky situations (i.e. the area where you have to jump for the BFG, with the Barons swarming that area I always got stuck with PRBOOMS).

Anima (or anyone for that matter), I'd say check it out with Zdoom man! You'd like how it plays. More freedom then with Prboom or Glboom.

Plus, you can re-record over the same demo name without having to change the lmp name by a digit or letter. :) Give it a go!

I'd possibly try it, if I didn't just shatter your UV-Max record ragnew ^_^. I got a new UV-Max in 6:57 (yup, you guessed it, sub 7-mins! Also, it was done under GLBoom). Mr. "I don't wanna Teleport in" still lives, but everything else is killed. Just need to do a txt file and I'll send it to Opulent. I've got my UV-Max crown back :)!

BTW, great job on the 8:08 demo ragnew! Quite good.

man oh man, I hope Ops, is online now... :) This is one of those one's you've just gotta see... :)

GREAT job man!

:-D

Hm, BTW, Anima, how 'bout trying to upload stuff yourself? It will make everyone enjoy your demos quicker. :-) Look here, specifically at this (or have you no FTPing abilities?)

EDIT: Oh, wait, I forgot -- is that up and running yet?

Kristian Ronge said:

:-D

Hm, BTW, Anima, how 'bout trying to upload stuff yourself? It will make everyone enjoy your demos quicker. :-) Look here, specifically at this (or have you no FTPing abilities?)

Who knows? Just sending the demos to Opulent is quick and easy to do for me. Speaking of which, I sent my 6:57 to Opulent. Hope you enjoy it (I sure did).

edit: http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/eur3-657.zip
:)

Just watched your demo Anima, great job...

I think that theres going to be a way to bust it down to closer to 6 minutes with different handling of certain fights...

More BFG usage, and group kills is definitely the way to get a optimal time on a map like this.

I'm going to try it out as soon as I get home tonight. The only thing that'll keep the time from being good is if any of the monsters that are left wandering in the outdoor area end up making their way back to the inner area after you get the blue key and last invuln..

Back tracking always sucks... :)

Kristian Ronge said:

No, it isn't, unfortunately.

Kristian Ronge said:

Making direct comparisons between 2 demos recorded with ANY 2 different engines (even e.g. doom2.exe version 1.666 and version 1.9) is often pointless, IMO.

Sort of, but in most cases the differences are relatively small, and only make a significant difference in certain cases. Perhaps as a 1.22 user, you're not aware of how many fundamental things are different in the newer Zdoom betas (check out the 2.0.50-51 changelog, for instance).

ragnew said:

Just watched your demo Anima, great job...

I think that theres going to be a way to bust it down to closer to 6 minutes with different handling of certain fights...

More BFG usage, and group kills is definitely the way to get a optimal time on a map like this.

I'm going to try it out as soon as I get home tonight. The only thing that'll keep the time from being good is if any of the monsters that are left wandering in the outdoor area end up making their way back to the inner area after you get the blue key and last invuln..

Back tracking always sucks... :)

Thanks for the comments, and yeah, I imagine it can go even lower. I'd doubt it's possible to get it under 6:00 though. Then again, I said that about sub 10 mins. and look what happened :).