Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ultdoomer

Timedemo Parameter Help

I am trying to figure out the frame rate for Vanilla Doom so I can compare it to source ports, but I can't get the timedemo parameter to work. When I type
"doom95.exe -timedemo demoname.lmp", it just brings the launcher up without playing the demo and displaying the amount of gametics and realtics at the end. Can someone help me play demos with the aforementioned command? (Without using a source port, remember.)

When I ask for help, I'm usually asked what operating system I'm using, and that is Windows 2000.

Thanks,
Phil

Doom95 is a source port, it is not the real game.
It uses directx rendering which will be influenced by many factors... that is, you really should be using the real game.
the fps for DOOM is capped at 35fps from what I've heard. (there are source ports that remove this limit)
You can launch doom95:
doom95 -nodm -timedemo <demoname>
I don't recall if that gives you fps output(or gametics) though... if you can get the -statcopy command to work, it might show some output.

Thanks Opulent, it worked!

I found out that Vanilla Doom runs at 31 frames per second and that PrBoom runs at 51.5 frames per second on my computer. When I play Doom with PrBoom, it is pretty choppy, while Vanilla Doom is not. The only way I know of getting PrBoom running somewhat smoothly is by keeping the screen size at 320x200. Is there a way I could make PrBoom run as well as Vanilla Doom when it's set to fullscreen? (When I say fullscreen, I mean I want PrBoom to use the entire screen to display the game as opposed to fullscreen versus window.)

Doom uses it's own renderer.
PrBoom uses your 2d renderer (probably Directx libs)
You could make the transition to Glboom, which uses hardware rendering. You will see greatly improved performance, even if you only have an old gfx card.
also, you could set the niceness (priority) of prboom as an application. that might increase it's performance.