Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foofoo

Ok then... whats your LEAST favourite wad...

You know what? I bet 10 bucks that this thread has been done before, but, eh. What the hell..

Whats your least favourite wad?? I dont mean, those hideous dumb joke wads, i mean like a normal wad, professional even, but it just gets on your nerves and shits you. Got any?!?!

For me, i'd have to say that RTC-#### one. I know most you love it, but i personally just... eeeck. It just annoys. There are some alright little trinkets in it, but as a whole, it pisses me off really. (i'm sorry).

I can appreciate you not liking RTC-3057, but what you're saying is that you've never played a single wad which is worse than it.

Either you've only ever played an exceptionally tiny amount of wads, or you're speaking absolute bollocks.

NiGHTMARE said:

I can appreciate you not liking RTC-3057, but what you're saying is that you've never played a single wad which is worse than it.

No, he is he is saying that it is his LEAST favorite wad, not the worst wad. :P
My least fav wad is probably Icarus. I just hate maps with a lot of SILVER or SHAWN tetxures.

Lutrov71 said:

My least fav wad is probably Icarus

Yeah i dont really like that one either. I think the beginning of Icarus is one of the worst beginnings ever. Horrible level 1 music.

I think I always hated Plutonia with a deep passion. IT MOCKS ME WITH THOSE ARCHVILES ON LEVEL 1 AND ALL THE REST OF THE CRAP. I've seriously never gotten past map02. It's hard, hard, hard, hard, hard. Note that I've never actually played Hell Revealed 1 or 2, so I've never plated harder.

lerner said:

I think I always hated Plutonia with a deep passion. IT MOCKS ME WITH THOSE ARCHVILES ON LEVEL 1 AND ALL THE REST OF THE CRAP. I've seriously never gotten past map02. It's hard, hard, hard, hard, hard. Note that I've never actually played Hell Revealed 1 or 2, so I've never plated harder.

OMG, Plutonia is my favorite ever Wad. If you were better at Doom, you'd love Plutonia with a passion.

Lutrov71 said:

OMG, Plutonia is my favorite ever Wad. If you were better at Doom, you'd love Plutonia with a passion.

Seconded; plus, I think Plutonia has way much better texture usage than Evilution.

As to my least favourite - Daedalus; it's really boring in the fist stages, so boring, that I made it somewher to chapter two... and no further. Textures are ugly, almost completely no detail around. But still has some incredible ZDoom features; like my jawbone dropped when I saw the iluminator with lasers blowing up the asteroids.

I vote for Alien Vendetta and Hell Revealed. Masquerading inefficient skill to create a good balance by overstuffing your levels with way too many monsters doesn't count as 'good design' in my book.

Daedalus, on the other hand, is one of my favorites. I can tolerate a certain lack of detail if the gameplay compensates for it. 007LTSD is another one of those. It may not look the best but it plays incredibly well.

CacoCaddy said:

The 3rd one isn't even playable.... Is it?

I only found it to be playable using Zdoom, and by running over the monsters' heads. That way it's rather easy.

However, I do recall someone claiming that it could be played properly too, by BFGing your way through the monsters and getting to the next power-ups before the first invulnerability wears off. I'd need to see a demo before I really believed that though.

I'm surprised to see Icarus being criticized here. I found it to have a pleasant appearance and excellent variety, but a good degree of continuity of themes (esp. for a multi-author megawad - something that many later ones have lacked). The only grumble I have about map01 is that it presents a nasty obstacle to any attempts to record a Nightmare movie run. Excellent starting map otherwise.

OK, so coming back to the original question, which I'll interpret as "Which of the technically good big Doom projects appeals to you least?". Hard to say, since there aren't really any wads of that type that I actively dislike. I suppose maybe Batman Doom and Daedalus - while I appreciate their creativity, their gameplay never especially appealed to me, to the extent that I have never played either of them through from start to finish. Also, I'd rank Requiem below some of the other classic megawads, whereas many people rank it near (or at) the top of the pack - just too uneven, and too many fillers (albeit alongside some individual maps that are works of genius). Still a top-20 megawad though, of course.

Also, I tend to get a little bored with E1 remake/tributes, and don't generally find that heavy scripting makes for enjoyable gameplay.

Graf Zahl said:

I vote for Alien Vendetta and Hell Revealed. Masquerading inefficient skill to create a good balance by overstuffing your levels with way too many monsters doesn't count as 'good design' in my book.

Here we go again. Do you not accept that many players (including exceptionally skillful ones) regard these maps as supremely well balanced? Do you acknowledge it as even a possibility that it is your judgement that is skewed? Or that the concept of "balance" is not an absolute one, and depends on experience, ability and perhaps taste too? Note that I'm not taking issue with the fact that you don't like these maps (which you clearly don't); it's your categorization of them as objectively bad maps, and of the mappers as having done a poor job.

Lutrov71 said:

Nuts3 sucked as well Foofoo. The first 2 were better. No, seriously.

well it depends how you see it/play it. Whenever I play it I turn the monsters off (-skill4 -nomonsters) I see it more like a creative thing. So, in a way, I wonder why I even put monsters in it.

PS I love talking about my wads. Thats how vain i am. Please, talk to me more about stuff I've made. Please.

ellmo said:

As to my least favourite - Daedalus

Yeah Daedalus sucks complete monkey balled cliche bitch.

whatever in gods name that means.

Well, if this is about high-profile projects that just aren't my cup of tea.. then: Deadalus, RTC-3057, PAR. Probably some more, but generally everything that you have to play extremely slow in because of the low health and risk of chaingunner/sargeant/whatever ambushes.

Foofoo said:

well it depends how you see it/play it. Whenever I play it I turn the monsters off (-skill4 -nomonsters) I see it more like a creative thing. So, in a way, I wonder why I even put monsters in it.

Yeah, you could of turned that level into something great. No offence. :P

My least favourite wad?
I don't really think that is relevant.
Not very helpful to the author(s) or the fan(s) of the particular wad.

Foofoo said:

Yeah Daedalus sucks complete monkey balled cliche bitch.

Yeah let's bash a free project for a, soon, 11 years old game.
I hope you liked your stay in losers, because if you keep this up, you'll be going there real soon.

Shaviro said:

My least favourite wad?
I don't really think that is relevant.
Not very helpful to the author(s) or the fan(s) of the particular wad.

Ohhhhh come on! When we complain about our least favourite wads, and say why, that'll help the makers make better wads in the future. So just spill the beans already!

Lutrov71 said:

Yeah, you could of turned that level into something great. No offence. :P

No no i agree with you in a way. I could've done so much more with it- but im still very happy with what it is.

Almost 95% of "shitwads", "jokewads" or other retarded minds' efforts that plague the archives. ANY normal map, altough greatly below the line of what classifies a wad to be "crappy" is 10 times better than all jokewads or retarded weapon mods.

Nmn said:

ANY normal map, altough greatly below the line of what classifies a wad to be "crappy" is 10 times better than all jokewads or retarded weapon mods.

Disa-fucking-gree >:(

Erik said:

Well, if this is about high-profile projects that just aren't my cup of tea.. then: Deadalus, RTC-3057, PAR. Probably some more, but generally everything that you have to play extremely slow in because of the low health and risk of chaingunner/sargeant/whatever ambushes.

For that particular kind of problem there is fortunately a very simple solution: Get out an editor and put more in!
That's what I did with Daedalus because it definitely had problems in the ammo/health balance but it took me only a few minutes to get rid of them.
I never had any problems with P:AR in that regard though.

yeah that could actually be a good idea, an extra 30 soulspheres distributed through the maps should make it more fun. I am going to try this some day when I am extremely bored.

I would have loved Nuts3 if I could move :D I love that type of atmosphere. Hell, I even ripped the music from all 3 nuts I thought it was so good. Nuts3 almost had an Equinox feel to it, though with the huge open space, and beautiful starry sky, everything was hauntingly enchanting.

Lutrov71 said:

No, he is he is saying that it is his LEAST favorite wad, not the worst wad. :P

Ummm, that's exactly the same thing - if he thinks there's a wad worse than RTC-3057, then that would be his least favourite wad.