Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Updated: Not as Controversial Community Wad Project Idea

The ideas expressed below are *NOT* the property of me, the person who posted them, nor does the poster (myself) care if you would like to alter them in anyway to better suit your tastes. In fact, any and all responses illicited by the ideas expressed below, whether they be criticisms, suggestions etc., are strongly encouraged. Thank you.

Community Wad Project Idea updated: Similar to how it was before but with far less rules. It goes something like this. You take some sections from each level from each episode of doom, and you *seemlessly* incorporate them into a level. The idea is that the copied sectors will give you inspiration as you work. There is only one rule (for those of you bogged down by all the rules before)

The rule is this: the carbon copied sections must be altered enough so that the wad in its finished form does not bear striking resemblances to the original sections copied. Or put another way: work it so it can be uploaded to the archives without worrying about plagiarism.

Some tips: The smaller the section copied, the less work you have to do to have it be not too similar to the original. Copy your favoritest areas from doom (or any megawad for that matter, I just prefer doom 'cause I still like the simple style and feel of it to the new fangled hyper-ultra-super detailed, huge, complex maps of the day; and I also think its texture set is far superior to that of Doom 2.

Use the sector mirror/rotate feature and the floor/ceiling height adjuster alot.

Some possibliities: Work in teams. One person cuts the sections for the other person to use to make the map.

Incorporate some of these ideas into a speedmapping event. We tried it today with SargeBaldy and some others with so-so results. We weren't altering the original sections much, though, and it was our first times so weez wuz a wittle unsteady about how to attack da job.

Make suggestions. Hijack my idea for all I care. We haven't had a community contest wad like that ten sectors thing in a long time. Let's get something started.

Wow. That sounds neat. I don't plan on entering, but it sure will be fun to look at the results.

Linguica said:

sounds lame

why am I not surprised you think so.

lerner said:

Wow. That sounds neat. I don't plan on entering, but it sure will be fun to look at the results.

I don't think there will be any results seeing as no one is likely to enter. I am currently working on it right now... we'll see how my one entry into this one man project comes out.

jetflock said:

i would enter.
(and i'm not a noob,lol.)

yay :) Yeah, I know who you are. Def not a noob. Thanks man. The rules are gonna need some revision, if you have any thoughts, criticisms or otherwise, don't hesitate posting them here, thanks.

Edit: Do you want to try and stitch together the sectors I copied? I can send the wad if you like.

skippy said:

This sounds pretty interesting.

Sounds damn hard to me. I'm afraid the results, if the rules remain this limited, won't be as good as you might think they will. But, heh, good luck Guinness Gulper...

Hellbent said:

why am I not surprised you think so.

Look how long your explanation of the rules is! Even my excorpse explanation wasn't as long :P

Hellbent said:

Exceptions to all these rules will be granted depending on the circumstances and pending the result of a panel of judges decision on the matter based on the persons's reason for his desired exception(s).

A panel of judges?!?

Linguica said:

Look how long your explanation of the rules is! Even my excorpse explanation wasn't as long :PA panel of judges?!?

Heh.. maybe I've oversimplified the premise now. I'm still waiting for some feedback... I do trust people notice I updated the original post?

lerner said:

Hey, I might enter this now. Lose, yes, but enter.

there are no losers. :p You might get the bronze or silver, but you won't lose (there's only one other person so far who said they'd enter)

anyway, thanks for showing interest. Any more thoughts on some sort of rules or ways to make it better?