Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

a little help

I have finaly goten around to installing LINUX on my doom server only to find i get this error when i begin, "SCSI paramaters needed" well something like that and it gives me a list of defaults. Yes i am useing a SCSI hard drive and LINUX is have difficulty getting it to work. I would like to know some basic parameters that may work or a trick to get around this. I am useing mandrakelinux 7.2 if that helps. Also for u newbies, I am running a doom server in LINUX and that DOES NOT mean that u have to have LINUX to play on the server. the only things u will need is DOOM2.wad, zdoom(1.22 or1.23 if it is released before i finish) and zdeamon. Many of the websites, ftp's and other networks are run by many different OS's than just windows. PS windows is not exactly a great networking OS LINUX, UNIX and OPENbsd are far better and made for networking, also they are cheap or free

would it help if i told you what it ask. it is asking for options/parameters. The card is a Buslogic 540 fast scsi ISA card. what do i need to tell linux so i can install. i know this has little with doom but i have tried everywhere for this and this is the last place

Hmm, you should check this up with fraggle, since he is our Linux priest here.

But first about SCSI: Good choise for a server solution, SCSI mechmanisms are more robust and are better for a 24h service (proofed by various data recovery instituts, just for the case that someone complains :).

You know that in PC machines running SCSI drives, in the SCSI bios the option "support for drives over 1 GB" has to be enabled to use the space over 1 GB.

In Linux, this option has to be disabled, otherwise your Linux will not work correctly. I cannot say if you have to reformat the drive to see a result. Maybe fraggle knows... ask him before you do anything risky.

I'm stumped. Unfortunately I've never used or installed Mandrake and I've never used linux on a machine with a SCSI hard drive :(. What you've said is a little vague though, If you can give me some more information in what is asking for this and exactly what its asking for I might be able to help more.