Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
showtime

Prob not a chance in hell (or Doom) but I'm asking anyway...

OK, I've read on another board that someone was running Doom on their PIII600mhz rig and it was playable which I find hard to believe.

Here's my rig specs that's over 5 yrs old:
P3 750 MHz
384 mb ram
GeForce3 BUT will be installing a Gainward GeForce FX 5900 128mb

so is anyone currently running d3 on similar specs with playable framerates? I consider playable to be 20-30 fps avg. with HQ special effects, bump mapping, shadows and specular lighting on. I don't care if that means playing at a 800x600 (or even 640x480) resolution.

Welcome to the Doomworld forums. In order to make sure you get the most relevant replies, in the future, please make sure you post your question in the proper forum. This is the Classic Doom forum, not Doom 3. I will be moving this thread.

Well, some people have managed to get the game running on ludicrously low spec machines (relatively speaking). But they are not "playable" in the way you describe. According to what I've read, people had to write all kinds of crazy modifications to get this to happen in the first place. In fact there was a thread on another board about someone getting the game to run on a voodoo5. But the results certainly werent pretty.

It's certainly possible that someone could find a way to make the game run on your machine, but there's no way it'll happen at the level of quality you desire. Even minimum-requirement systems arent able to achive what you're asking (yes, even at 640x480). Sorry.

Edit: If someone has evidence to the contrary though, please post about it.

I'd suggest you upgrade the cpu instead of gfx card. But I guess you'd need a new mobo then aswell.
Btw is that sdr or ddr ram?

I run with a gf3 and a athlon XP 1.4 and that's as low as I'd suggest anyone would go when it comes to Doom3. (low detail with 20-30 fps, sometimes less-)

the lowest i have seen doom3 run was on a 1Ghz P3 system.
windows2000
1Ghz
512MB memory
Geforece FX5700, 128

it ran, but not very well. I have not seen anyone do it on anything lower. lower than 1.5 is not gonna be very playable. There really is no reason to try other than to try for the hell of it. either get a new system, best to build, or wait to see if there is the Xbox version.

I have a 1.0 ghz system and it ran at about an average of 35 fps.

I of course am using a radeon 9800.

Just remember to disable those fucking shadows and your fps will go way up.

Try over clocking the hell out of your system and it should be "acceptable"

I play the game on

800x600 on High Quality.

I run half-life 2 at 800x600 high everything.

And Remember to update your drivers.

Good luck.

I ran it on 640x480 low quality with a really sucky MX 220 SE card from nVidia. It ran a little poor, though playable. With shadows off it would run fine, and it actually still looks great (and dark). I had the card on a 1.8 Ghz machine, though.