Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MasterOFDeath

Map preview

I'm not sure what you mean. If you just click on a map, it opens, I suppose that's your preview. Simply don't start editing it... Or is there something else that WinTex does specifically?

That's not much different from what you see now, right? If the toolbars are the problem (the properties bar at the bottom and the WadEd bar), those can be turned right off from the View menu. (When you click on a Map header, you will get a second view menu, these two are the fisrt two items, both checked by default.) Just uncheck them, and XWE will remember next time.

If that's not good enough, please be more specific in what you'd like to see different.

Its not so much that, its the fact that -

It takes a while to load a map, its buggy, and I have had it mess up maps at times. All I really want is an option for an actual map preview, similar to wintex, so when I click on a map entry, it doesn't take 10 minuites to load the map and then mess up because I accedintally click the wrong button ;P .

Removing the editing capabilities would unfortunately not speed up previewing the map. I know certain things have been described as slow in XWE, perhaps some things could be optimized, but it's not a priority.

If you do mess up the map, don't save your changes. XWE will not save, unless you tell it to.

If you mess up the map and save the changes, just click Edit|Undo. Remember, you can undo every change you make to your WAD file.

MasterOfDeath, I took your advice. I changed XWE so that when you "open" a map, it loads in "preview" mode. This means that the SIDEDEFS, THINGS and SECTORS entries are not loaded, these are not necessary to show the map layout. On my older test computer this increased the loading time of the VRACK2 map from 5-6 seconds to 1.8 seconds.

If you click on the map or start editing it any other way, it first fully loads.