Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Draconio

Doom Builder terminal error

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but it's driving me crazy now... when I try to use Doom Builder and open a map in it I get this:

Builder.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x004e3893" referenced memory at "0x0024f8bc". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

It also does some other strange things like textures (but not flats) show all black on the selection screen.

It's been this way for a long time now, I think the last time I got it to work right was like a year ago on one of the early versions...

That's an error, but for troubleshooting purposes one needs more info...

Hrm... it's on Windows XP... got a Pentium III 933MHz and 128 megs of RAM, Intel 82810E Graphics Controller for a video card. Fairly old PC (3 years) with some quirks, but nothing else seems to blow up consistently in this fashion.

Doom Builder crashes as indicated before every time I try to load a PWAD. Doesn't seem to matter what one. The first number in the error message does not seem to change but the second one does.

It also refuses to show textures correctly (they show as plain black or plain white). Flats show okay. Constructing a small map and saving it gives the appearance of working, but results in an unusable PWAD.

It sounds like you're running out of memory there. 128 MB is not much and Windows XP has probably taken up most of that memory by itsself already (wouldnt surprise me with all its skinning). Textures and flats in Doom Builder usually only load when they are needed, but they can start to hog some memory when you start browsing the textures list. You could minimize the memory Doom Builder uses by turning off the option "Cache resources in memory", but it will run slower ofcourse.

If its not your memory, then maybe you could try looking at http://www.windowsupdate.com/ and see if there are any updates or service packs for your operating system. Doom Builder's system requirements tell you this as well, but nobody ever reads those :P

128 MB is not enough for XP to run correctly. You need more RAM.

Apart from that, you could also try updating DirectX and also updating your graphics card drivers.

Speaking of DoomBuilder, I have some questions;

How do you let your mouse move the window to a direction?

Can you stop DoomBuilder from merging linedefs together, when you're editing 'small-scale'? (zoomed all the way in)

CAN CODEIMP IMPLEMENT A CREATE-SQUARE-SECTOR FEATURE LIKE IN DCK? It's taking me too godamn long to do some actual mapping in DoomBuilder.

How stop DoomBuilder from deselecting all selected linedefs/vertexes/sectors/things, if you accidentally click on a blank field?

I haven't had any problems with DoomBuilder, except that occasionally when I start on a brand new map, I get an error message and it closes down the program. It's no big deal, since no work can possibly be lost, but just to let you know, in the unlikely case that you didn't already know about this.

gemini09 said:

Can you stop DoomBuilder from merging linedefs together, when you're editing 'small-scale'? (zoomed all the way in)

I know you can turn off 'Auto stich', but then I can't possibly stich together those that I DO want to 'stich'. So, maybe there could be a message asking you if you want to stich these vertexes together when you move one over another?

Please don't reply to your own post like that...

CodeImp said:

Doom Builder's system requirements tell you this as well, but nobody ever reads those :P

I read them, and you need to lower them. Im running a p2 350MGz, 128MB of ram, windows98, STB Velocity 128, and the latest version of DirectX and it runs quite well, but the 3d mode looks like shit :P

Draconio said:

Hrm... it's on Windows XP... got a Pentium III 933MHz and 128 megs of RAM, Intel 82810E Graphics Controller for a video card.

Sounds like the computer I was using for almost half a year. Except the one I was on was a 1.8Ghz Celeron.
It was a prebuilt machine, from a store. I found the RAM to be stupidly low, especially for running XP. I disabled all of the 'fancy looking' features and a few other things to try and get as much extra memory as possible.

I don't know about memory being an issue for causing Doombuilder to crash. On this 700Mhz Celeron, 64MB Ram, and XP computer, I can load a large map in doombuilder (32,000 sidedefs) just fine.

gemini09 said:

Speaking of DoomBuilder, I have some questions;

How do you let your mouse move the window to a direction?

CAN CODEIMP IMPLEMENT A CREATE-SQUARE-SECTOR FEATURE yaddayaddayaddayaddayadda

rtfm

chopkinsca said:

I can load a large map in doombuilder (32,000 sidedefs) just fine.

Map data doesnt take that much memory. But caching the textures it shows to you takes up memory. As I explained above, you can choose not to cache the textures, but then it runs slower as the textures need to be read from the WAD file(s) every time again.

You know, you could've easily answered my questions, being the author of this program, now I'm forced to read all this just find 3 or 4 simple answers, plus a level of mine got ruined because I decided to try glBSP. After 10 min, trying to build nodes on a map I had barely started on, I lost patience and quit, and now the level is unrecognizable for DoomBuilder. Many thanks!

And my tips for you to make DoomBuilder better still stand. In TFM it only says "Careful so you don't move vertices too close to eachother!", well we're trying to build a little more advanced levels nowadays, where we, or at least I, DO need to move those vertices VERY close together indeed...

...well I RTFM and all answers to my questions were "You can't". Wonderful read!

Found out what Prefabs were though...might be useful later...

Okay, I know that bumping an old thread is generally frowned upon, but I think I ought to mention that today I completely reformatted my computer, and on trying Doom Builder again, find that it's working just fine. So obviously something was messed up on my computer, not Doom Builder.